Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Cruz de Ferro

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Di-27, May 4, 2012.

1. Di-27

Di-27 New Member

Home Page:
    Hello everyone,

I would like to visit the Cruz de Ferro, and will be walking the Camino Frances on my first walk this August, however, I am a bit confused as to it's actual location. Can someone tell me if it is on this route? This is one place I need to visit!:confused

Thank you and Buen Camino,
    Di

2. buckredman

buckredman Member

I'm surprised that you haven't been buried with responses. I have heard of the Cruz and have seen many fotos of it, so I was so curious that I had to look it up in a guide and then search for it in Google Earth. It's just west of a village called Foncebadon(km232)--look west of Astorga at the top of a ridge before the decent into Manjarin (km220). Don't forget to carry a stone.

Good luck--I wish I were going along.

Buck

3. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    ....and yes. It's on the Camino Frances.

4. BHinSanDiego

BHinSanDiego New Member

Yes it is on this route, it is basically between Rabanal del Camino and Molinaseca, I recommend staying in Rabanal del Camino, once you leave there the next village is Foncebadon, the Cruz de Ferro is soon after that. If you stay in Rabinal you will get to it in the morning, maybe an hour walk if I remember right.

5. Di-27

Di-27 New Member

Home Page:
    Thank you so very much for your help! I can not wait to be on the Camino and take in everything it has to 'offer' me. I have my stone ready (it's in my pack already ;) ). A friend has asked if I could carry a rock and leave it at the cross for her, is this considered okay to do so...?

Again, thank you and Buen Camino,
    Di

"Even if the path is a little blurry, keep walking.
    You'll focus in when you know what you want.
    Then the picture of your life will be crystal clear.
    Just dont ever give up."
    ~~ Unknown

6. BHinSanDiego

BHinSanDiego New Member

One constant when it comes to the Camino and what people will tell you is "It's your Camino, do it as you please." Be it not sleep in alburgures, sending your pack ahead, taking a bus if so desired, you're there for you and those that you want to be there for, the Camino is freedom, freedom from everyday life, freedom from what others want us to do, the only thing asked of you is respect to others and the Camino. I see nothing wrong with bringing it for her, it's a personal gesture or moment, what might also be good if she is having you take it for a specific reason or person a note to go along with it would be something to take too, you could read it when you get there so she is there in spirit with you when you lay it down.

Last edited: May 4, 2012
  7. Di-27

Di-27 New Member

Home Page:
    Those are words I enjoy hearing...I am there for me, first and for most!

Thank you!!

8. Lipka149

Lipka149 Active Member

And Diana, remember, you can pick up a stone too ! Find a nice one on the trail, pack all of the good stuff you experience into it ... and bring it home ! :D

I still have mine, and pick it up every now and then when I need a boost. :)

9. Di-27

Di-27 New Member

Home Page:
    I like that idea Alan! What a wonderful way to remember the reason I chose to take this journey! :)

Di

10. divergordon

divergordon New Member

Buen Camino Di.