Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Current Cell Phone Wifi Sim Card Information 2016

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by mike gordon, Mar 13, 2016.

1. mike gordon

mike gordon musico

I'v noticed that many of the cell phone threads have old information aplenty some I have seen were started as long ago as 2010. Much has changed in the interim and I think it would be nice to start locking those threads so that new and probably more correct information could be posted. It would also be nice if information would not be repeated for the sake of all of us who would not care to sort thru all that is posted to get to the necessary kernels of information that will help us along the way.

venezia likes this.
  2. Woodchild

Woodchild Member

I've just renewed my phone and I've gone with a company called 3. And there thing is that I can take my phone and use the same plan in both France and Spain but I won't pay for Cora while I'm away! Maybe folk who live in the UK could have a look into it.

Wx

3. Woodchild

Woodchild Member

Cora= extra

venezia likes this.
  4. Orava

Orava Active Member

For those in the EU a recent harmonisation of tariffs for roaming charges should bring down costs (and risk of getting ripped-off) considerably but don't know the exact details.

That doesn't help non EUites though.

I tend to screw down my phone functionality to calls only and no data when abroad just to be on the safe side. Then wifi can be used in cafes and alburgues etc.

5. mike gordon

mike gordon musico

I just purchased a Google Nexus 6P and have selected Googles Project Fi as my service they claim it will work right off the plane. It would be great if anyone with experience with this could comment

6. Kathy

Kathy Guest

I can't help others. I am watching what you say because I am leaving for my first camino next month and am not sure if I should buy a phone here, in the US or be better off buying a tract phone in Spain when I arrive.

7. muggie

muggie New Member

Following.....

8. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

Following - taking an unlocked phone in 2017 and wondering which sim to buy to ensure coverage on the walk

9. roger dee

roger dee New Member

great thread, thanks,
    I'm walking May/June and as I am from Australia I cannot use my Aussie SIM.
    I was plannign to buy a Vodaphone Spanish SIM online at
    http://www.spainsim.com/
    any comments or experiences from others would be appreciated

10. fraluchi

fraluchi 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013, 2015

Home Page:
    It's difficult to understand the problem of so many people on this subject. Expectations vary. Simply buy a SIM card with the options which meet your requirements at the airport and fit this into your gadget. Orange is as good as Movistar, Vodafone is also available. "Normal" chip or "small" chip depends upon your gadget.
    Remember: WiFi is available all along the trail.

Tina-Marie Brownie likes this.
  11. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Roger
    Do you have a smart phone? Then consider upload loading Viber ,or WhatsApp apps, assuming all the those you wish to contact( family/ friends ) have these apps on their phones. You can then contact them by phone/ text them for free using the wifi. Most Albergues, cafe/bars have free wifi. I used this all the when walking the camino . There is also a Face time app which is like Skype, but I have no experience of using this app.

Buen Camino.

Raymond John

12. Neal Adams

Neal Adams New Member

John,
    I have heard that What's App can be very handy on the Camino. Will using it require that you have a data plan? I don't think What'sApp is free. How will you pay for using it?

13. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Neal. The use of what's app is free using a wi fi connection, however you will need buy sim card for your I or Smart phone. which will have a number minutes of phone calls, data , texts per month. I have also used the viber app which is also free with a wifi connection . However, If you and your family and or friends have I Phones, you can phone or face time them anywhere in the world for free I hope you find this info useful.

Carpe Diem.

Raymond John

UnkleHammy likes this.
  14. Neal Adams

Neal Adams New Member

Raymond, Thanks for your response. It is just the information I needed,

Neal