1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current Weather In Galicia - Cruz De Ferro?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Greg Canning, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi All

Looking for some local knowledge. We are starting in Leon on Saturday and expect to be in Foncebadon on Monday evening. Anyone any idea about weather conditions over Cruz de Ferro? Weather forecast is saying snow/rain and 5 degrees C, but do you know if the snow is lying on the ground? Will the paases be passable?
    We head over O'Cebreiro on Friday 13 April so any information/advice for that route would also be most welcome.

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Greg

In these days of technology, it is possible to get a hear and now picture of the weather by looking at some of the Galician Web-Cams http://www.crtvg.es/crtvg/camaras-web

And I am afraid to say that it all looks a bit damp today !!!

You can take a look at the O'Cebreiro Cam @ http://www.crtvg.es/crtvg/camaras-web/o-cebreiro and it also looks wet there.

On some cams you can watch pilgrims as they make their way towards Santiago de Compostela http://www.crtvg.es/crtvg/camaras-web/o-bando-san-marcos

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

3. Greg Canning

Thanks Rob

It's probably as I expected. I was hoping to get away from the weather at home but ho hum. At least we will be back on Camino :)

Buen Camino

Greg

Crepes4Suzette, hindsfeet and RJS like this.
  4. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Greg - I can’t speak firsthand to Foncebadon except to tell you that folks we met who went through there a couple weeks ago did so in a blizzard with several feet of snow on the ground. But, they made it up and down! As for the rest of Galicia, a heck of a lot of rain! Today we walked for six hours in heavy rain, hail, thunderstorms, and high winds. But, we are also less than 50 km from the coast here in Olveiroa so it may be worse here than in other parts of the state. Locals in Santiago told us is has been the wettest two months that they can remember for this time of year. Just in this morning’s La Voz de Galicia was an article about all the cancellations hotel operators experienced at Easter due to the bad weather. You guys will be fine, but bring clothes appropriate for wet and cold weather. Buen Camino!

9BF64952-F5AD-4C03-AE1C-7E1008836A40.jpeg F419FAB6-C3C0-4FEA-BA1C-785CED00ADA2.jpeg

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Greg – I wish that I could have told you it was 25c and wall to wall sunshine – Maybe next week :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Greg Canning likes this.
  6. Greg Canning

Thanks Wily

Glad I invested in the gaiters, wet gear and cape! Think I might bring the skis and snorkel too based on your photo :)

Hope the weather improves for the rest of your Camino.

Greg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  7. Greg Canning

Rob

This time last year we were on the second week of our walk across the Meseta and we did see 25c and we complained about the heat..........no pleasing some people :).

Buen Camino

Greg

Crepes4Suzette and RJS like this.
  8. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@RJS Thanks for the video links.

Crepes4Suzette, Greg Canning and RJS like this.
  9. Wily

Hey Greg - We’re two days from Finisterre. More rain forcaste for tomorrow, but it looks like Thursday should be a mix of sun and clouds as we finish up this Camino at “the end of the earth.” Buen Camino!

10. Greg Canning

In many ways I can’t wait for Finisterre and then again............

11. Wily

H
    Hey Greg - I just looked at the Leon forcaste. You seem to be in for better weather than we had. However, I still see a couple days of rain in the area. If you don’t already have them as part of your kit, I’d suggest taking along a pair of lightweight rain pants. We had raincoats and ponchos, but with high winds and driving rain, our pants were wet off and on Almost every day. We didn’t see many Spaniards without rain pants and jackets. So, for any wet days, they’ll help you stay dry.

I also hope you have better luck keeping your feet dry than I have had. My Merrell Moab GTXs are great to walk in (about 500 km on them now), but I’d describe them more as water resistent than waterproof. Wet feet at the end of each day! I may have to have a talk with Merrell about them!

We’ve made it to the ocean! It’s great! I can’t express how we quite felt when we saw the sea from above Cee and Corcubión. We’re now just 13 km or so from Finisterre! We’ll be lunching at “the end of the world” tomorrow!

Enjoy your Camino! Wily

12. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Aw, is that Nancy under that raincoat? I hope that she still enjoyed her birthday week.
    This might sound strange, but you know, here in Arizona the sun is almost ALWAYS shining. I do want to see beautiful clouds, hear a thunderstorm and get a LITTLE wet!:D
    Thank you again Wily....for sending us all of the pics and letting us walk with you! Safe travels home for you!

13. Greg Canning

Hi Wily

Thanks for the update. I think we are expected to see the sun next Thursday on the way to Las Herraras but who knows. We have our gaiters so hopefully they will help. I also went and bought a couple of dry bags to go inside our backpacks. Looks like it really will be a new Camino experience.

Hope you enjoy the rest of yours.

Buen Camino

Greg

14. Wily

Hey Hindsfeet - When I walked the CF two years ago, I got all kinds of weather. As I left about the same time in April that you are walking, expect a little of everything including the possibility of snow. But, it all great! It’s all part of the Camino experience! In spite of all the rain that has fallen in Galicia these past two weeks, this has been another great journey that we bring to an end tomorrow. But, we both look forward to returning for yet more. More than anything, the camaraderie, on e again, that has developed with our fellow pilgrims is reason enough to come back. As I have said before, the walking is great, the country is beautiful, the food devine, but the reason to walk is because of the wonderful people you meet along The Way who make it the experience it is. I can’t wait to hear about your journey. Buen Camino!

15. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Always sunny in Arizona...nice, swap you! Actually, we do get sunshine, just not 'hot' sunshine. At least at the end of the walk is always a cold, tasty beer.
    Portugal in Sept! Yay!

16. hindsfeet

Wily, listening to you is making me SO EXCITED!!

Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  17. hindsfeet

Canadian Wander...I'm originally from Wisconsin, so I do remember those sunny brisk days!:D And those long cloudy winters! No complaints here! September should be a beautiful time on the Camino!

18. samantha davies

samantha davies Member

Right now the weather in Northern Spain is very rainy and snow in some places. These last 2 days sun has come out for a bit, but it is still quite cold. From what the TV and local old wisdom are saying, it's gonna be raining for a while.

19. Greg Canning

thanks Samantha

At least I will get to try out all the wet gear I've bought :). We really can't complain since starting our walk from St Jean to Leon over the past two years we have had maybe three days rain. And even a wet day on the Camino is a great day.

Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  20. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@Greg Canning this year you should get caught up on the wet part of the walk.

Greg Canning likes this.
  21. Greg Canning

2FDE4F0C-B3C7-44DE-B677-BA8676E22B76.jpeg A4378A5A-C5DE-4E66-A6A1-D531E7A92C5B.jpeg Hi all

So far so good. We walked almost 30kms today and not a single drop of rain. Very windy and quite chilly but no rain. We can see the mountains in the distance and there still seems to be plenty of snow.

A long day for a first day back on the Camino but still it’s great to be back.

Buen Camino

Greg

22. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

You took the scenic route, then! Were the stork's nests up in the bell towers when you passed through Vilar de Mazarife? What a nice picture of you both on the bridge! When I walked into town that day, it was pouring rain. Happy trails tomorrow! So glad you're out there!

Wily, hindsfeet and Greg Canning like this.
  23. Greg Canning

Hi C4S

We certainly did take the scenic route and yes the storks were there. We had no rain but it was pretty cool and windy.

On your advice we stayed in El Caminero. A lovely little B&B. Looking forward to breakfast and a leisurely stroll to Astorga.

Buen. Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy, Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  24. Crepes4Suzette

I'm envious of you guys, Greg! I'm so glad you liked El Caminero. If I remember, it's only about 17K to Astorga, and you have a celebration for your wife. I'll be eager to hear how you like the town. If you want to be green from overeating (and really, who doesn'to_O:eek:), there are places around the bigger plazas that have Cocido Maragato - about 5 courses, a regional specialty.

Wily, Greg Canning and hindsfeet like this.
  25. Greg Canning

Hey C4S

Yes we really liked El Caminero. Breakfast was lovely and plentiful. Set us up well for the day.

The walk was about 18 kms via Santibanez and there were a few warm up climbs on the way.

We are staying in the Spa Hotel Via de la Plata. It’s really really nice and we booked a spa session this afternoon. What a treat. There should be one of these in every town along the way.

I might pass on the Cocido Margato. I like meat but not so much .

So far so lucky. Only a very short rain shower on the way and the morning was glorious. Raining heavily now tho.

Foncebadon tomorrow.

Buen Camino

Greg

Attached Files:

26. Mairead Magee

Mairead Magee New Member

Really looking forward to returning to the CF this year.Having stopped in Burgos early May 2016 booked flights to Madrid for April 28th & plan to start walking on Sunday morning for 8 days hopefully reaching Leon.
    Thanks Wily for the links I will be keeping an eye on weather as last time encountered some very wet cold days
    Greg your posts are enlightening fab Photos too.The sun shone in Dublin today no rain
    Buen Camino

27. Crepes4Suzette

100% agree. I loved the water-area there and how trendy and comfortable the room was for a change. Often walking alone, I get too isolated if I don't stay in group settings every few nights. Wily probably mentioned the places he liked in Foncebadon. I stayed in Rabanal. Write if you can, and hope that rain stops! You're in for a treat with the beautiful views the next day. Goat day:D.

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  28. Greg Canning

Well it rained in Astorga

And it rained in El Ganso

And it rained in Rabanal del Camino

But we lit a candle to St James

And after a little more sleet and hail the sun finally came out.

We reached Foncebadon and a welcoming fire.

Love love love this section. Pretty towns and lovely people. We also got to meet that lovely monk from the BBC Programme and he blessed my father’s rosary for me.

Buen Camino

Greg

Attached Files:

29. Wily

Hey Greg - Rain builds character (or at least that’s what I kept telling my wife!) Anyway, isn’t it a great section of the Camino! Love your pics particularly you in a poncho! On those cold, wet days, finding a welcoming fire always brought a smile to our faces (plus a glass of wine helped too!). I know your walk will go by all too quickly so enjoy every minute. Buen Camino Peregrinos!

30. Greg Canning

Hey Wily

I really hope it’s true because we are expecting a whole lot more rain n snow tomorrow. But for now the sun is shining and Cruz de Ferro awaits in the morning and all is right in the world.

Thank you for all the kind thoughts. This is really the best Camino forum.

Buen Camino

Greg