1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current Weather In Galicia - Cruz De Ferro?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Greg Canning, Apr 3, 2018.

1. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@Greg Canning it sounds as though you actually are having too much fun. Keep it up and you will be going back for more soon!

Nice pictures too. I'm not too sure about your clothing colors. I've always heard that boys wore blue and girls wore red.

Greg Canning likes this.
  2. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Thankfully Unklehammy I’ve never followed convention

UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. Greg Canning

AE6263CB-782B-47E4-900D-2759452BD346.jpeg 1701EAD7-4016-4C64-AE1D-6E09F0745132.jpeg 65E565D6-6F7D-40D4-95D7-467DC1558F0E.jpeg AE6263CB-782B-47E4-900D-2759452BD346.jpeg 65E565D6-6F7D-40D4-95D7-467DC1558F0E.jpeg Well what can I say today was just one of those incredible, exciting and challenging days. As Wily might say “character building “.

Our original plan was to wake early and walk to Cruz de Ferro in the dark to see the sunrise. But we woke in Narnia. So had to settle for sunrise in Foncebadon.

The walk to Cruz de Ferro was through snow, hail and sleet but we got there.

The descent really didn’t get any easier. We stopped in to say hello to Tomas in Manjarín and stopped for lunch in El Acebo. The rest of a long day into Ponferrada was through hail, sleet and rain. It was a tough 31 kms but an incredible experience.

Buen Camino

Greg

Attached Files:

4. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Holy Cow Greg! It looks like winter there! You win on the “character building” challenge! But, it still looks beautiful! Love that last photo of yours. Must be either sunrise or sunset. You really captured the tranquility of the moment. After that long hike today, be good to yourselves with fine food and drink. Buen Camino!

5. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

What a day to remember! Can't imagine what doing that descent on those paths was like on snow. Those pictures are really beautiful. Hope you're both warm and cozy and that you enjoy your day tomorrow. Vineyards. Maybe snowy vineyards.

hindsfeet, Wily and Greg Canning like this.
  6. UnkleHammy

@Greg Canning nice pictures, but I'm glad that I am in my nice warm California.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
    Greg Canning likes this.
  7. Greg Canning

D176E5B2-2EE9-45E9-A956-CFFE308F082A.jpeg 8A97A825-9153-4565-A06E-348EC1C30B1E.jpeg Well today was a whole lot better. A chilly but mostly bright walk to Villafranca del Bierzo. A lovely lunch in Cacabelos at the restaurant La Moncloa. Would highly recommend it.

8. Greg Canning

Hi all

Anyone have any idea what animal might have left these tracks in the snow. The paw print is about the size of a man’s hand and there is a reasonable sized gait.

I took the pics a couple of kms above Foncebadon.

Buen Camino

Greg

Attached Files:

9. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things Donating Member

Yikes Greg......I think that I could handle the inclement weather, BUT those foot, or Paw prints are a bit intimidating! Two legged? Whatever it is, hope it can scare with a few trekking poles up in the air!! Glad that you are safe! :D :D

Greg Canning and Wily like this.
  10. Greg Canning

Hi Hindsfeet and everyone

We have arrived in Sarria, tho not under our own steam . Today we slogged through snow, mud and horsesh**t from Las Herrerias over O Cebreiro to Ponfria where we finally gave into the cold n damp and took a taxi to Sarria where we catch our train back to Madrid tomorrow. Can’t wait for our return in September.

It’s been a wonderful week and I will post some thoughts and recommendations when we get home. I’m attaching a few photos.

Buen Camino

Greg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 13, 2018
  11. Wily

Hey Greg - You’ve had a full week of all kinds of weather. How did your Merrell’s hold up to the snow, mud, and horse**t? I know exactly how you feel regarding the cold and damp conditions! At the end of the day, all I was looking for was a welcoming fire and a good glass of red wine. I trust you have been able to find both. Safe travels home.

12. Greg Canning

Hi Wily

The Merrells held up pretty well but I do get what you said about water resistant rather than waterproof. For the most part they kept my feet dry but I have to say the gaiters really helped too.

We’ve had some great days and some delicious wine but the weather has been a real challenge. Altogether a different Camino experience.

Buen Camino

Greg

13. UnkleHammy

Thanks for your postings and pictures. If you need to remember parts of your walk just go out in the rain snow, sleet etc. at home and it will all come back to you.

Crepes4Suzette and Greg Canning like this.
  14. hindsfeet

Greg, thanks for all of the pictures and posts, look forward to some of your thoughts once you return home. Your Camino really pulled the 'adventure' out of you! I will be heading out with my Merrell's really soon. Was wondering if your feet stayed warm sloshing through all of that snow and slush? Now, safe trip back to Dublin with you! :D :D

UnkleHammy, Wily and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  15. Greg Canning

Hi Unklehammy

The sun has finally shown his face here in Sarria just as we are waiting for the train back to Madrid . It’s has been a challenging week but as with all things Camino a great experience.

Home to Ireland tomorrow and guess what? They are promising sunshine by the end of the week!!! Maybe winter is finally over.

Buen Camino

Greg

16. Greg Canning

Hi Hindsfeet

The Merrells really performed excellently given the conditions. Wearing the Superwool socks and Rab gaiters helped a lot. My feet got slightly damp walking through the snow on O Cebreiro but still stayed warm. Since starting to use the superwool socks I’ve never had a blister or had to change socks midway during even the longest days. They really are super. The only minor issue is they take longer to dry when washed so you do need a minimum of two pairs. All in all we both agree that the technical gear we brought really worked.

Buen Camino

Greg

17. Crepes4Suzette

Better weather finally seems to be coming here too, Greg. Will you be using Are Lingus? I saw they have a SCQ-DUB to then continue onward Stateside.

Thank you so much for including us on your Camino! Those pictures are beautiful. Hope your trip home is as painless as possible and Happy Spring!

18. Crepes4Suzette

Wily, I'm training and going in Moabs this time after your positive experience with them and others'. They have a raised area just before where the heel bone attaches that I'm not used to, but nothing problematic. I miss my Siren Sports, but the Moabs have Vibram soles and feel more rigid, which will likely help on the rougher trail this time. I'll report back how they do.

19. Wily

Hey C4S - I think you’ll be happy with the Moabs. I had about 500 Camino kms on mine. As far as comfort goes, I was much more pleased with them than the Keens that I wore on the CF. After that many kilometers, there was no visible sign of wear on the soles. Plus, no blisters! As I’ve mentioned before, I do put the Superfeet insoles into all my outdoor shoes. I’m also going to check out those socks that Greg uses. As I mentioned on a different thread, the only problem that I had with my shoes was with moisture. But, as Dave pointed out, maybe the Gore-tex did perform as expected with the very wet conditions we experienced. Nonetheless, my new Moab 2 Gore-tex arrive from Merrell this coming week so I’m excited to try them out. I’m sure that you and Hindsfeet will enjoy the walks in your Merrells. Buen Camino!

20. Greg Canning

Hi Wily

Hope you’re as happy with your Moab 2s as I am with mine. My only gripe is that instead of the two lace holes at the top of the Moab’s the 2s have only one. Not a major gripe really but I did prefer the two holes which allowed you thread them for better tightening.

They also have a better reinforcement along the sides. All in all an excellent hiking shoe for the price.

Greg

21. hindsfeet

Thanks Greg, good to know....Superwool socks are on my list!

22. Greg Canning

Hi C4S

And apologies, I somehow missed your post. We did fly with Aer Lingus but from Madrid. Nice flight and good connections. I'm trying hard to avoid seeing Santiago until I've earned it :) . A bit mad I know but I want my first view to be the iconic one as we walk in.

But if the flights suit (time and money-wise) then Dublin is a good option. Since the time of the early flying boats US immigration have had a presence in Ireland. If you fly through Dublin you are pre-cleared on entering the US meaning you arrive just like a domestic flight and no queues to exit the airport.

Buen Camino

Greg

Crepes4Suzette, Wily and hindsfeet like this.