1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Daily Email From Camino Forum

Discussion in 'Forum Feedback' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, May 13, 2015.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Leslie, thanks for all you to regarding moderating the Camino Forum, helping organize the website, and offering many keen insights regarding the Camino.

Awhile back (last fall and during winter months), I used to get daily emails sent to my email address. These included the title of new threads that were posted and included a link in case that topic interested me. I found these to be interesting and many times the email prompted me to check the website frequently. Then two or three months ago, I stopped receiving the emails. I'm wondering if this feature was discontinued, or I need to subscribe again?

Thanks for any comments.

Bob

Leslie likes this.
  2. Hobbler

Hobbler Active Member

I don't remember getting such emails but I do get emails telling me of new posts to threads to which I've contributed. Perhaps you used to contribute to lots of threads and therefore got lots of emails about new posts to those threads Just a thought.

3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi @BROWNCOUNTYBOB yes, I forgot to change the feed over when I changed the forum software a while back.

I have setup the new feeds and emails should start going out each day again when there are new threads or posts.

The first email might be quite long as it hasn't run for a while, after that it should be a just the details from the previous 24 hours. I have now subscribed myself to keep an eye on.

If anyone else would like the daily emails, the subscribe box is down on the lower right hand side.

I have also setup a weekly email which is sent out each Saturday. It is only sent to members who have been active on the forum during the last 30 days - that means at least logging in once.

4. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Just an update on this thread as I have had some feedback.

It can get confusing as I send out three separate emails now. There are two options on the forum, the daily email as outlined in the previous post and there is a weekly mail that lists the most popular threads from the previous week.

Separate to these my other website http://www.caminoadventures.com has a newsletter that is sent normally once a week.

Can seem a bit much, but they have happened over the years on the forum due to people asking for them - and the two on the forum are now automated.

5. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Leslie, thanks for looking into this. Works fine - I got the long email you promised this morning. Great to see the variety of topics once again. By the way, I've been to Prague and Spain many times and I can't imagine a self imposed vegan diet at either place! Bob

Leslie likes this.
  6. Michael Stoll

Michael Stoll New Member

When making reservations thru email to albergue. Do you pay when you gey there, or do they usully pay with credit card in advance, thanks mike newbi starting first Camino in sept 2017.

7. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Michael - Having made many reservations in advance of walking, I can tell you that unless the albergue asks you to pre-pay on their website, one pays for most of them upon arrival. The system seems to work quite well. For two different Caminos, I have reserved beds/rooms at albergues without any difficulties. Most of the time, the albergue will quickly respond to your email and acknowledge your reservation. Upon arrival I then paid, in cash, for my bed. In the case you use Booking.com to reserve, and some albergues are on this system, you will need a credit card for the reservation, but you will pay when you arrive there. Only in a few instances did I not get an email response from an albergue. Once on the Camino, you can always ask an hospitalero to call ahead for you to see if a particular albergue has a bed available. I admit wondering if all my reservations would work out, but everytime I arrived at my chosen albergue, my name was in their reservation book. During the busier times on the Camino, reservations can reduce the stress of looking for a bed or not being sure where you're going to stay. For pilgrims who want to have reservations set-up, the system works quite well. Buen Camino!

8. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Most of the places I reserved through Booking.com required me to provide my credit card to make the reservations, but then I will pay at the albergue. Also, reservations can be cancelled or changed until only 3 or 4 days prior. A few were different - one albergue required 50% pre-pay when the reservation was made. Roncesvalles reservations require payment on credit card when the reservation was made. One albergue asked that I wire funds in advance to reserve places. I checked with my bank and the wire charge was almost higher than the albergue reservation so I decided to reserve at another albergue. And many reservations can be made through a simple email. Several of these asked that I re-confirm the reservation a few days or week in advance. Many albergues now have websites, so you can look at photos of the sleep areas, bathrooms, common areas, laundry, and bar/restaurant. They also show rate differences - for example, cost for reserving a bunk space or private room.

9. Dabo

Dabo New Member

Same issue with me as well. I miss reading them.