Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Del Norte Questions

Discussion in 'Camino del Norte' started by stevelm1, Aug 19, 2015.

1. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    OK, so I have not set foot on my first Camino (starting around Sep 10, Camino Frances) and I am already thinking about my next one. Silly I know but inquiring minds want to know.

I have heard that the Northern route is much more hilly than the Frances, and as such you spend a lot more time walking up hill than out across the flatland's of the mesada. Thus the Northern route is a harder walk.

Can someone who has walked both confirm or deny that rumor?

I would expect that the Northern route offers many a glimpses of the ocean that you just can't get on the Frances.

Just to add confusion to this post I am also looking at the walk up Portugal for a second Camino.

2. calowie

calowie Active Member

stevelm1
    We just posted our blog about our camino del norte and primitivo on this same forum. While it does not compare different caminos, ie the French, it does show the coastal views and hills, and elevation changes, and our route and albergue selection that we had the great opportunity to experience.

3. stevelm1

Home Page:
    Calowie, I am curious if you have ever walked the Frances and can answer the simple question -- is the Northern route a lot harder, a little harder or not much harder than the Frances?

4. calowie

calowie Active Member

I have not walked the Frances. I can only say that we walked with several people who have walked both and they all said that with due to the significant ups and downs that the Norte and Primitivo that we did was much more challenging than the Frances.

stevelm1 likes this.
  5. stevelm1

Home Page:
    Thanks calowie, that is the answer I was looking for. Not that I was hoping it was harder, just that knowing it is harder makes it a little less appealing.

6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Steve

I have been privileged enough to walk The Camino Frances (SJPdP to Finisterra), The Camino Norte (Irun to Santiago), The Camino Primitivo from Villaviciosa and The Camino Portuguese from Porto (+ several others) and I would find it difficult to give you a simple answer to your question.

None of these routes are what you would call Hard, but they all have some days that can be a little taxing, Saint Jean Pied de Port to Roncesvalles is probably one of the hardest single sections that I have walked followed by several similarly taxing days on The Camino Primitivo, followed by Miraz to Sobrado de los Monjes on the Camino Norte.

I would agree that the Camino Norte does tend to have more hillier sections than the Camino Frances, but these are often relatively short ups and downs, but a lot more of them.

Several sections of The Camino Norte do follow the coast, but several others go inland and after Ribadeo the route leaves the coast completely.

If I was forced into a corner, I would say that The Primitivo is the hardest Camino I have walked closely followed by The Camino Aragón and although I have heard many people describe the Camino Norte as harder than The Camino Frances, personally, I don’t think there is a lot in it.

Sorry I can’t be any clearer

Good luck on picking your Secunda

Rob

stevelm1 and danvo like this.
  7. stevelm1

Home Page:
    Rob your were as usual very helpful thanks.

8. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

I am planing to start El Camino del Norte around the last week of May.
    Will 42 days be enough time ? I plan to average approx 20 to 24 km per day with appox 4 days rest along the way.
    After reading @Magwood complete camino del Norte blog ( which was Brilliant and I give her a ***** rating, ) I don't think I can average 30km per day.
    Unfortunately, I am traveling from Australia and I have to book my return flight in the next week or so.
    What do you think @RJS
    I don't want to book my flights, then not been able to finished in time or get stuck in Santiago for 4 or 5 days waiting for my flight home !
    All your comments will be greatly appreciated

EL Condor

9. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

@El Condor 2014 4 or 5 more days is not about stuck in Santiago but about walking to Finisterre/Muxia :)

UnkleHammy likes this.
  10. El Condor 2014

Been there done that (Twice , 2014 and 2016)

11. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi again El Condor

The total distance from Irun to Santiago de Compostela on The Camino Norte is about 850k (Depending on exact route / diversions) so to do it in your allocated 42 days would mean an average of just over 20k per day, which although doesn’t sound excessive, that would mean walking just over 20K Every Day – So IF it were me, I would add a few buffer days and these can either be used as rest days, or IF you trek well and do reach Santiago de Compostela early, as you have already trekked out to Muxia / Finisterra, you could add another Compostela to your collection by trekking the short Camino Ingles http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/bf/

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Last edited: Jan 8, 2017
    El Condor 2014 likes this.
  12. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Condor - I'm in 100% agreement with Rob on the idea of building in buffer/rest days regardless of the Camino route one is taking. I admit to bring an exercise junkie and was in excellent condition for the CF last spring. After 31 straight days of walking to SdC, I can tell you there is definitely a fatigue factor that builds when one doesn't rest. Regardless of the physical activity, rest is important! On my next Caminos, rest days will be built in.

13. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:

Sorry Wily – I don’t quite follow Why you disagree with me on this ??
    Could you please clarify?

Thanks

Rob

14. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Yes Rob, in complete agreement with you on building in rest days to any long Camino.

RJS likes this.
  15. El Condor 2014

Ok, that sounds good, @RJS and @Wily . I will add 4 extra days,. Thanks !
    Any suggestions for rest days? Bilbao, Santader Oviedo ? Or small peaceful small towns ?.?

16. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    You could stay in the cities, but paces like Bilbao, the Municipal Refugio is a Long way from the town centre, mind you, under normal circumstances, you are only permitted to sleep in a Refugio for one night, so, on refection, Bilbao would make an excellent chpice

You could also stay at places like

Castro Urdales – Beautiful Port town with an amazing church

Ribadesella – We took a ride into the foothills of the Pecos Europa. Covadonga was absolutely stunning and we all enjoyed it, we had a late lunch in the cafe there, then decided that as we were so close that we should go and see some high lakes at the end of a very steep and narrow road above Covadonga and in the heart of The Pecos Europa, so off we went, up, up and up some more with awesome views back to the coast.

Rob

17. El Condor 2014

Having done the Camino Frances Twice,
    I am sorting my gear to do Camino del Norte , I realised that no one mention anything about taking a stone or rock when doing Camino del Norte. Is there an equivalent Cruz de Ferro on the Camino del Norte ???

18. El Condor 2014

I am a little undecided regarding Camino del Norte
    I would like to stay near the coast a long as possible
    Should I go via Miraz
    or should I cut across via the Primitivo
    Any suggestions ?

19. Aritz

Aritz New Member

No matter which via you take, there is coast way enough for you to get tired of it. By the way, hope I see you in Noja beach!

20. El Condor 2014

Hi @Aritz , I will be starting from Irun on the 25th May , What is your Schedule ? Don't think I will get tired of the coast, lived on the coast all my life , I have moved inland only recently (Last 8 months ) . Love the coast !

I will have a Blue Osprey Backpack, with a Camino arrow , a Kangaroo and an Australian map stickers on my backpack !
    Best regards and Buen Camino

Jose

21. buelito

buelito New Member

A quick question for those that have done the Norte/Primitivo... Is there a place like the Cruz de Fierro where you can drop a stone?
    thanks! (we start in Irún on July 7, 2017!!)

22. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Buelito and welcome to the forum.

The Only Camino that I have walked where there has been a symbolic place for the pilgrim to lighten their load by leaving a stone that they have brought with them from home is The Cruz de Ferro on The Camino Frances – I have walked several other routes including The Camino Norte (Irun to Santiago de Compostela) and The Camino Primitivo which you are planning yourself and certainly don’t recall such a place.

Rob

23. buelito

buelito New Member

thanks! that's what I thought.