1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Departing Sevilla Apr 26 northward till May 20.

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by Tyson, Feb 8, 2015.

1. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Hello
    I am 55 yr old Chinese male living in US. Will start from Sevilla Apr 26. If anyone starting the same place/time, may be we can walk some parts together. I am handicap without left hand, so I plan to buy food, not prep myself if possible. Also, like to get advices from people who walked this section before

Basically, I am trying to minimize my luggage, I wonder if these following situations that affect my backpack weight the most

1, I assume I don't need to sleep outdoors. Is it true? So, I hope to avoid sleeping pad and other outdoor sleeping gears
    2, I assume a few days of rain. Will buy raincoat locally when forecast shows it to be needed
    3, Do all places have sleeping blankets? If so, I just bring liner instead of sleeping bag

Also, for lunch and breakfast, can one assume there is always someplace to buy bocadillas/produce and prep without using kitchen? If I start walking around sunrise, I assume that breakfast may be on my own prep, is it right?

Shering likes this.
  2. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Tyson

your have REI stores in the states , and will be able to obtain all the information you need for clothing there,....you could easy buy a light weight rain jacket to keep the rain and any chilly wind first thing in the morning out.

post one after you click on the main camino via-de-plata -route, silver route. there is a free downloadable guide by Geraldkelly.

if fact the whole thread on camino via de plata silver route will answer all your questions.

being without one hands should not restrict you in anyway........I have ex-service mates with missing limbs who "overcome and improvise".....its only a handicap in our minds......

type in this link http://www.mochilasviadelaplata.com it does not work on here by just clicking on lonk. but did where i got it from.once translated it states they can also provide capes/coats/walking sticks. worth contacting them now

Last edited: Feb 8, 2015
    Shering likes this.
  3. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Hope the following make senses. If not, I'd appreciate pointers.

Will assume I can always sleep indoor
    Will assume that carrying raincoat (double as fleece) for upper body without backpack rain poncho.
    Will let backpack wet in the rain and rely on water-resistant compression bags inside to keep things dry.
    Will buy fast-drying light non-gortex shoes so I just let it dry instead of trying to keep water out

Will bring Terra Nova sleeping bag recommended by you. Thank, it's very light and fit in water-resistant compression bag. Will look for light sleeping bag liner soon.
    Will read threads on food planning

4. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Tyson

The Terra Nova sleeping bag is King....if you buy good quality kit and look after it ,it will look after you
    I have various rucksacks and except my fully waterproof alpine BAGS I use a rucksack liner on all the others and your good to go keeping everything dry.

your actually find all you need on here in the threads or on some forum members blogs...

5. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Departing from Sevilla and ending around Salamanca/Zamora this year from Apr 26 on.

Do I even need a fleece or sweater? I hopen not carrying these weight if weather allows

I do have rain coat (very light breathable)

6. windswept

windswept New Member

Home Page:
    I don't feel the cold and to keep weight down take only a lightweight liner with me. Not to everyone's taste, I know, but I do try to keep the amount I carry to circa 7kgs including the rucksack. The via de la Plata will be my third camino and I am looking forward to the solitude and to following spring up to the north of Spain this April. A bit like having one's own mobile monastery but with flowers to enjoy and Eagles for company.

www.justgiving.com/stlukespilgrim

7. hailows

hailows Guest

Tyson,
    I likely will see you on the trail. I land in Faro on the 25th and will head to Sevilla that day. I won't be any later than the 27th, but suspect I will start walking on the 26th. I am a big guy with a Tilley hat (part of the Canadian uniform).
    Stephen

Tyson likes this.
  8. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Buen camino, Stephen. Nice to know I'm not the only one. I'm a slow walker. Hope to get Salamanca/Zamora in 20-25 days. Leave Spain on May 21. Then need to be back to Santiago de Compostella next trip.

9. Shering

Shering Donating Member Donating Member

Hola Tyson from a fellow Seattleite! I will be walking Camino Frances starting mid April.

I wish you a Buen Camino!

Tyson likes this.
  10. vinsman

vinsman New Member

Hi Tyson, I am starting in Seville on April 10th. I will walk to Salamanca and return home on May 4th. I will carry a rain coat and rain pants. I plan on buying food to make my own breakfast and lunch as there are some / many places where there are no towns between stops. As far as sleeping goes I carry a lightweight sleeping bag and a silk sleep sack. This will be my third Camino and it was worked for me. Buen Camino. I blog everyday when I am walking so if you would like to follow I am www.vinsman.com