1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dia De La Virgen De Roncesvalles

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Jul 11, 2017.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

One of the websites I used to prepare for our upcoming camino frances was "The Wise Pilgrim". This is similar to Gronce.com in providing summaries of each stage, photos, places to stay, comments from pilgrims, etc. The Wise Pilgrim was all in English and Gronce.com is all in Spanish. When I recently tried to access the Wise Pilgrim, it referenced a newly published guide to the Camino France. I can always use another camino frances guide, so I purchased it. The format is quite different than Brierley's guide in how the terrain is depicted and services available in each town and albergue. I just read the short summary on Roncesvalles and learned that Sept 8 is the annual celebration of Dia de la Virgen de Roncesvalles. That is the same day we will hike from St Jean into Roncesvalles. Has anyone been in Roncesvalles during this day and if so, what can we expect? Is there a local event for us to watch? Will Casa Sabina be open for dinner? Thanks for any comments. Bob

James Orrock likes this.
  2. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Hola, Bob! I will be starting my Camino a couple of weeks after you (end of September). I can't contribute anything about Dia de la Virgen de Roncesvalles. I will keep my eyes peeled just in case you decide to stop for a while or take a detour along the Camino and I manage to catch up with you.

3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

James, with a three week head start, I doubt our paths will cross, but maybe your pace will be faster than ours.

I sent a message yesterday to Albergue Roncesvalles in Spanish and asked about the festival. Here is the response:

Buena tardes,

Se celebra una misa a las 12 del medio día.

Están todos los restaurantes abiertos.

Un saludo,

Edurne
    --
    I also looked at You Tube and saw several videos. There is a procession outside with several locals in costumes and men carrying crosses. The procession then goes inside the cathedral where lots of canting, singing and a mass takes place. Edurne says the mass takes place at noon and that the local restaurants are open all day.

Bob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  4. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Hola, Bob. Muchas gracias for the explanation re. Dia de la Virgen de Roncesvalles. I like the fact that the restaurants are open all day after Mass - man does not live on spiritual bread alone...

I also doubt whether I will catch up to you. But I will ask along the Way if anyone has seen a man called Bob from Brown County pass by in the past few weeks. :)

BROWNCOUNTYBOB and hindsfeet like this.