1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Distance Calculator

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Jopoke, Dec 29, 2016.

1. Jopoke

Jopoke New Member

There used to be a distance calculator on here I think it was called Godesalco but I can't seem to get into it. Does anyone know what has happened to it, or is there something else I can use. Thank you

2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

What do you mean by "distance calculator"? Is this the distance between various points for planning purposes or is it the distance that you have walked? danvo provided a link to a distance thing for planning.

There are several cell phone apps to help answer the question of "how far did I walk today?"

I use a Samsung S7 and one of my favorite apps is "Gaia". It is either free or low cost. One of their options is a full topographic map of Spain. Then there is the "ViaMichelin" app that has road maps of all Europe.

Looking through the various app stores (Apple and Android have different apps available) will show many other options. Select whatever you want and matches your style. Almost all of the choices are free to low cost. I searched for GPS things to make a log and send it home to show my family where I had been by loading it into Google Earth and decided that the Gaia app was the best for me. I tried every one that I found, that was also low cost, before I left for the Camino. Some of my early choices were not good.

Gerry Vandermaat and Wily like this.
  4. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Hammy - From what I can tell, and I've seen this calculator before, it's simply the distance between any two towns on the Camino. So, for example, from Hontanas to Carrion de Los Condes, I can see that I have a distance of 54.7 km. It references the same distances you can find in a guidebook, like Brierley's, except that it allows one to be interactive with it if that's important for some reason.

Looking forward to exploring the "Gaia" app that you referenced above.

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  5. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Danvo, what a great resource. I will certainly use it next time. I was surprised that the total Km's is 798.6 - then why does our Compostella say 775km? I feel cheated :) LOL

Wily likes this.
  6. Wily

Hey Gerry - Although I don't have an explanation for you, I have the same 775 on my Compostela. Cheers!

7. Dylan Price

Dylan Price Member

Of course when looking at the distances on the guidebook don't forget to take into account the elevation! We could not figure why the distance from SJPDD to Roncesvalles was 24km on the guidebook yet we took around 50,000 steps - the equivalent of 35km give or take (10000 step per 7km).

It was only later that we saw the calculation that for every 100m climbed add 0.5km of distance!

UnkleHammy, Wily and Gerry Vandermaat like this.
  8. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    Good thinking Dylan. Although Brieley's book does factor in the climbs, we didn't take much notice of that because we were just content with going at the pace that was comfortable. Perhaps that was because we knew what our daily destination was and that we had already booked ahead.

MMMM? 10000 steps per 7km -- that about 1.2million steps from StJPdP to Santiago. And of course it all depends on how long your strides are - mine got shorter as the day went on, of course. It is interesting Maths, something I am sure will tick over in my mind on my next Camino, soon. I like Maths -- I hope that is not contrary to the wisdom of the Camino. Thank, Dylan for your insight. Something I had not considered before.

Wily likes this.
  9. Wily

Hey Dylan and Gerry - I, too, have to admit to not paying attention to Brierley's notation adjusting for climb. Like so many others, I focused on the 25.1 km from SJPP to Roncesvalles instead of the adjusted for climb distance of 32.0 km. For anyone not used to hiking in the mountains, I'm afraid that the perception might be that it's even further! With the Col de Lepoeder at 1,450 m, that's a significant first day climb on or off the Camino.

UnkleHammy and Gerry Vandermaat like this.
  10. Gerry Vandermaat

Home Page:
    Here, Here. What a great day.

Attached Files:

UnkleHammy, Greg Canning and Wily like this.
  11. Wily

As I've said elsewhere on this Forum, except for walking into Santiago, I don't think there was any other greater single moment on the Camino than completing the climb over the Pyrenees! I have such fond memories of sitting on the terrace of Cafe Sabina in Roncesvalles with new friends from all iver the world enjoying together our accomplishment!

12. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Thanks Danvo. A very useful link.

Wily and Gerry, I couldn't agree more. That first day over the Pyrenees was one of the toughest days walking I've ever experienced but boy was it worth it for the magnificent views, the sight of the buzzards, kites and griffon vultures, the wild ponies, the people we met and the sense of achievement. A wonderful way to start the Camino. It was a long day, We started late (9am) and there were a lot of stops to rest and take everything in so we were late getting to Roncesvalles. But I am absolutely sure that I would love to do it all again.

Buen Camino to all

UnkleHammy, Gerry Vandermaat and Wily like this.
  13. Tina-Marie Brownie

Tina-Marie Brownie Active Member

I think the distance variation seems to be where sometimes you have to go off the track slightly - depending on your stopping point is you don't do the Brierely guide recommendations :D I found using that calculator mentioned about that I inadvertaetly chosen an alternate route but when I further looked into it I chose one that leads to a the oldest church known in Spain (Salceda if I remember correctly) and the information found makes the deviation of a few additional kms worth the walk.

Wily likes this.