Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Dragonte??

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by Jose, May 18, 2017.

1. Jose

Jose Active Member

Am so tempted by what I have read about the Dragonte path and its Templar history as an ambush route. Any recentish news on it? I know it is very strenuous and am thinking that by the time I arrive there I will have a better idea of whether I want to give myself up to that adventure. Still, for some reason it fascinates me.

2. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

Hi Jose, The Dragonte is appealing to me also. Yes, I heard it is quite strenuous, but I guess
    the view is amazing. It sounds like it is not well traveled, or I should say not crowded. Do You
    think it is safe to hike there alone? My mantra is: BLESSED ARE THE CURIOUS, FOR THEY SHALL HAVE ADVENTURES!

Last edited: May 20, 2017
    LAI3 and James Orrock like this.
  3. Jose

Jose Active Member

Ah, I agree!!! And curious I am. Sounds fascinating. I don´t think it is unsafe in anyway. Of course, I haven´t done it, but just intuition wise it feels ok to me. When is your camino= I start September 17 from St Jean Pied de Port. Yeah adventures! I have been searching out everything I can find. Mostly I find it´s very strenuous and that I do believe.

hindsfeet likes this.
  4. hindsfeet

The road less traveled, sounds great to me! I am not leaving until the end of April, 2018. A
    long way off it seems. But it sure is fun preparing. Nursing a slight right knee injury, but it
    will be fine. Recent talk about Dragonte caused me to dream about it last night. Of course
    I don't really know much about it, but in my dream it was a medieval forest, and I was
    hiking thru it donned with princess garb. Ha! I woke up before the knight in shining armor
    found me!
    Buen Camino Jose!

Greg Canning, James Orrock and Wily like this.
  5. Jose

Jose Active Member

End of April 2018! I would probably drive myself crazy with anticipation if I had that long to wait. Already, I am being tempted to ignore the rest of my life and just focus on Camino. I have no idea why shining knights never appear until it is too late! What a great dream. Dragonte has me in its thrall.

Greg Canning and hindsfeet like this.
  6. hindsfeet

Oh, Jose.......I have a real problem. You say that you are being tempted to ignore the rest of
    your life because your focus is on the Camino. It is OK if your Camino is just a few months
    away. But I feel a bit out of balance because of that very thing. I need to start taking care of
    other things unrelated to MY Camino....ha.....:D

Greg Canning likes this.
  7. Jose

Jose Active Member

Oh, hindsfeet, I know, I know, I know. My partner is doing a great job of tolerating my obsession right now. He smiles and lets it be. BUT if I were further away from my departure date, my other life would be in real trouble. Totally understand.
    But don´t lose the fascination. I think it might be a part of something divine. Just an idea.

8. oldman

oldman Oldman Donating Member

I have twice been trough Villafranca del Bierzo and stayed in ALBERGUE DE LA PIEDRA Tel.: +34 987 540 260 / +34 666 655 052 worth booking as its small 28beds with some private rooms small kitchen ,tea or coffee on arrival and the usual breakfast . I would recommend the rout Pradela, it is quite close taking off up a short ramp ( good photo in the Brierley guide ) to the right so long as there is no vans parked in front of the direction sign as there was the first time. it is a lovely track up trough the Chestnut Forrest quite steep at first and on the way down the trail meets the main road again .when you come down into the village of Trabadelo it is worth while to go back tracking left along the road there is a FARE TRADE Bar pension El Puenta Peregrino , great late breakfast or early lunch. ( you might need it after I did last time )
    Main thing to watch out for in this area is bad weather low cloud and Thunder storms , same in o, Cebreiro.
    both times the weather was bad with low cloud and mist you could not see across the street , I walked pass the 120 bed hostel and the only way I found it was from all the voices in 2013 and 2015 there were no beds to be had which meant walking down to Alto Do Poio an extra 10 k. 40 in total, but hotel Santa Maria Do Poio had excellent food Dinner and Breakfast .
    In all of that next time its the Dragonet rout for me if and only if the weather is good.

9. Jose

Jose Active Member

Thanks, Oldman! I like your name! Great information. So Dragonet calls you, too?

Greg Canning likes this.