1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Easter 2018 Activities In Porto

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by barbara roberts, Feb 21, 2018.

1. barbara roberts

barbara roberts New Member

My husband and I are doing the Portugues Camino starting in Tui but planning to stay first in Porto for a few days. Planning to arrive in Porto on March 28, 2018. We are wondering if there are Easter processions to see? Are we going to need to book hotels in advance from Tui on? We were going to walk and see where we ended up when we decided we were done for the day.

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Barbara - First, welcome to the Forum. My wife and I walked the Camino Portugués last year the very same time of year that you’ll be walking, late March and early April. At that time, not knowing exactly what to expect, we booked rooms/beds in albergues and some small hotels between Porto and Santiago. As it turned out, the CP wasn’t crowed at all. In the private albergues, there were seldomly more than a handful of us spending the night. Although the crowd picked up a bit starting in Tui, I wouldn’t describe it as busy or crowded. As you’re walking after Holy Week and Easter, I believe you’ll find a similar light crowd of pilgrims on the CP that early in the year. But, if you want to err on the cautious side, reserving rooms/beds along The Way would ease any anxieties about how busy it might be. We’ll be walking the Inglés the week earlier during Holy Week. As I don’t know what to expect during that particular week, we’ve booked rooms/beds where possible. However, Santiago always seems busy. I would definitely reserve there and in Porto. As you’ll be in Porto over Easter, I’d reserve there immediately if you haven't already done so. In my blog below this posting, I listed all of our accommodations by town. We’d happily stay in any of them a second time. Bom Caminho!

Crepes4Suzette likes this.