1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entering Spain

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by cruiser9608, Jan 27, 2019.

1. cruiser9608

cruiser9608 Member

We are starting our camino from SJPDP in France. I just read that you have to have a return flight ticket when entering Spain. Not knowing how long it will take us to bike the French camino we have not purchased return tickets yet. Is this a problem getting into Spain?

UnkleHammy likes this.
  2. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Once you go through customs in France, you are good, there is no customs going into Spain. As far as I know, many people arrive in Santiago without a departure ticket booked

RJS likes this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Cruiser - CW is correct. From SJPP, if you take the Napoleon Route, you’ll pass a small sign indicating that you’re now in Spain. Nothing at all exciting! No check-points, customs, or anything official any longer in the EU after your initial entry. Even at CDG, don’t expect much attention to be paid to a US passport. It’s a quick and painless formality. Buen Camino!

Canadian Wander likes this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I’m not sure which country you are from, but it’s unlikely that you will need a return flight to enter Spain – There is no physical border between France and Spain, especially if you are crossing the Pyrenees on the route de Napoleon, there is only a sign to say that you are now crossing the border ?? – So policing such a requirement (Unless you come from a country that requires a visa to enter Europe) would be all but impossible.

Where did you get this info from ??

Best Regards

Rob

5. cruiser9608

cruiser9608 Member

Thanks panicking for nothing

RJS likes this.
  6. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

@cruiser9608 in my recent trips to Europe I was never checked to see if I had a return ticket.

RJS likes this.
  7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Cruiser – Pleased to be of help.

But I would be interested in seeing where you read this “False News” ??

Thanks

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  8. Bryan Morlock

Bryan Morlock Pilgrim Bryan

I believe the official rule is that if you are entering Spain without a visa that you are limited to no more than 90 days in Spain and must have a return ticket. I too learned of this prior to our Camino. If you do have a visa then there is no 90 day limit and you do not have to have a return ticket. I do not recall where I found this but it was during research prior to our Camino. I don't recall ever being checked if I had a return ticket, but it was possibly available online to the customs agent in Madrid when I went through customs. It is also possible that they were simply happy to have me there spending money since the Spanish economy was not exactly doing well.

If you are from the US, they advise registering with the US consulate in Spain (easy to do online) with your plans so that you can receive updates if there are any security issues. We did our Camino in the fall of 2017 during the unrest in Patagonia and the riots, etc. in Barcelona. More than once we entered a bar/restaurant showing live updates with patrons in the place yelling at the TV and each other in Spanish about the events going on. We were receiving updates via email from the consulate and were happy that we were heading west, away from the unrest.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  9. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Bryan, I've been to Spain many times and never thought to register with the US Consulate beforehand. And I like the idea of getting routine updates via email from the US Consulate. I looked at the website and it was not obvious how / where to do this on line. If by chance you or someone else has a link to the website where we can register, that would be very helpful. Thanks for the tip! Bob

10. cruiser9608

cruiser9608 Member

It says it on the Travel.State.Gov website (us department of state-bureau of consular affairs)

UnkleHammy likes this.
  11. Bryan Morlock

https://step.state.gov/step/

Here you go BCBob! Going into our preparation I thought this wasn't important and that we would never hear from them. But with the stuff going on in Barcelona with wanting to secede from Spain it became important. We also realized how important it was when there was the terrorist attack (unrelated to the secede effort) in Barcelona just two weeks before we started our Camino. We received a number of updates from the Consulate while we were on the Camino.

BenL, UnkleHammy and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.
  12. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Bryan, thanks alot! I'm now registered with camino trip details. Will be great to get periodic updates. Gracias ! Bob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  13. Bryan Morlock

Buen Camino! Good luck and have a great experience.

14. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Things could also change for us Brits with this Brexit – IF it ever goes ahead !!

I guess that we have now got used to traveling throughout Europe both Visa and Restriction Free – But this could all change in March and then we will also be into unknown territory !!!

Meanwhile, do US Citizens have to comply with the rules stated, the maximum of 90 days in Spain and the proof of a return air ticket ??

Best Regards

Rob

15. Bryan Morlock

RJS - I spent two years in England back in the 70's at RAF Lakenheath in East Anglia, and took my wife to London this past August on our way to Germany. I have been following the Brexit turmoil, and I hope it all works out for you guys. However it winds up. Good Luck.

The 90 day rule is a Spanish rule, not a US rule. They may be more lax to EU members, I don't know.

RJS and Canadian Wander like this.
  16. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Thanks Bryan – What about the rule with the proof of a return plane ticket ??

You are right when you say “Turmoil” I have never known anything like it, The Conservative Government can’t decide what it wants, let alone the rest of Parliament – There are more votes tomorrow, but nothing will be decided and slowly the clock ticks away with no solutions in sight :-(

Oh Hum

Rob

PS – I am ex Royal Navy myself ;-)

UnkleHammy likes this.
  17. Bryan Morlock

Rob,

The rule was all from Spain. We did not need a visa for Spain if we spent less than 90 days there but had to have a return ticket. More than 90 days Spain did not require the return ticket but we would have had to have a visa.

My only ship experience was crossing the channel on a ferry(both ways) on the way to the Formula One race in Germany in 1974. I may be back there this coming summer. Several of us are planning a trip in late June to follow our Dad's WWII route to England, than to Normandy for the D-Day landing, on to Holland for Operation Market Garden, and then to Bastogne where Dad was during the Battle of the Bulge. And then on to Germany.

Bryan

Canadian Wander, RJS and UnkleHammy like this.
  18. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Thank you for the clear information Bryan - I have learnt something + I am sure that this info will be beneficial for other US Citizens heading on Camino.
    Best Regards
    Rob

19. David Fletcher

David Fletcher Member

Once you're in the Euro-zone you're fine unless you're on some kind of Interpol list. I'm from Canada, and didn't book return fare for exactly the reasons you cite. I decided to use award travel points for my return trip, and was resolved to fly back from any airport in Western Europe that I could get to by train. In the end, it was Paris (my first choice) and enjoyed the irony that the ultimate revenge of the Spanish upon the French is that you can't get directly to Paris from Santiago by plane. I took the train, and it was pretty humbling to realize that what took me 35 days to walk was traversed by train in about 18 hours.

Buon Camino

David in Nova Scotia

UnkleHammy, Wily and Canadian Wander like this.
  20. anniem

anniem Active Member

I have not heard of this. I walked Camino Frances in 2015 and didn't book my return flight until I was 3 days out of Santiago. In 2018 I walked Portugese and booked the flight 3 days before departure from Santiago. Suggest you check again. Buen Camino.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2019
  21. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    It looks like we are all learning Ann – I guess this only goes to prove how valuable forums like this are :)

Best Regards

Rob

anniem likes this.
  22. UnkleHammy

Each time I went I had a return flight. From the US a round trip is much less expensive than two one way tickets. But I was never asked to prove I had the return ticket.

23. Bryan Morlock

I stumbled across this website (https://www.spain.info/en/informacion-practica/consejos-viaje/consejos-practicos/requisitos/#). It explains that the requirements for entering Spain vary by the country you are from. It says:

The documentation required to travel to Spain varies according to the country of origin.

If you are a citizen of a EU country, Switzerland, Norway, Iceland or Lichtenstein, you will need a valid passport or ID card. Additionally, in the case of a minor travelling with an ID document, this must be accompanied by written permission from the parents.

If you come from another country:

The maximum stay in Spain is 90 days.There are a number of countries whose citizens are required to have a valid current visa in order to enter Spain. You can consult them on this list. Citizens of these countries can also travel to Spain if they have a residence permit or a long-term visa issued by another country in the European Union (with the exception of the United Kingdom, Ireland, Romania, Bulgaria and Cyprus), Switzerland, Norway, Iceland and Lichtenstein.

Citizens of all other countries must be in possession of documents which justify the object and the conditions of their stay, and be in possession of sufficient economic resources for their maintenance throughout the period they are intending to remain in Spain. The documents they are required to present will vary according to the motive of the trip. You can consult them in the “Foreign Affairs” section of the Ministry of Internal Affairs website.

It is advisable to take out travel insurance for your trip.

Given that conditions may vary, we suggest you contact the Spanish Embassy or Consulate to verify these requirements before you start your trip.

I hope this helps.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    UnkleHammy likes this.
  24. El Tejano

El Tejano New Member

Dont forget when entering Spain at that moment you have sign indicating free internet at that site. It was great calling family to share the entrance to Spain. I had made my own sign and let everyone share sign for photo.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  25. UnkleHammy

So much more civilized than arriving in the U.S.

26. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Alert from the US Embassy this morning. Bob

[​IMG]

Embassy of the United States of America

Madrid, Spain

Consulate General of the United States of America

Barcelona, Spain

Demonstration Alert – U.S. Embassy Madrid, Spain (August 20, 2019)

Location: French-Spanish border from Hendaye to Biarritz in France and areas in and around Irun, Spain.

Event: Large demonstrations by the “Gilets Jaunes” (yellow vests) and other political activist groups are expected in advance of and during the G-7 Summit in Biarritz, France on August 24-26. Demonstrations could turn violent. A large police presence is expected in the region and travelers could experience significant delays crossing the French-Spanish border.

Please see the U.S. Embassy France website for additional security and travel information.

Actions to Take:

• Avoid the areas of the demonstrations
    • Exercise caution if in the vicinity of large gatherings or protests
    • Monitor local media for updates
    • Be aware of your surroundings
    • Keep a low profile
    • Notify friends and family of your safety

UnkleHammy likes this.
  27. UnkleHammy

These actions apply anywhere in the world that you don't FULLY understand the language and the local customs.

Greg Canning likes this.
  28. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Another security alert from the US Embassy. Cindi and I arrive in Barcelona on Sept 17, so will need to be on guard.

Security Alert - U.S. Consulate General Barcelona, Spain, August 21, 2019

Event: The U.S. Embassy advises U.S. citizens of an increase in violent crime in the city of Barcelona in the summer of 2019, specifically in popular tourist areas. Local authorities have reported a significant increase in the number of petty theft schemes that have included acts of violence, such as aggressive thefts of jewelry, watches, and purses. In some cases, these incidents have resulted in injury.

Authorities indicate they are seeking to address these issues.

The U.S. Embassy reminds U.S. citizens to remain especially vigilant about their personal security.

For more information on common criminal schemes in Spain and ways to avoid crime, please visit travel.state.gov.

Actions to Take:

· Be vigilant with your personal belongings.

· Stay alert in locations frequented by tourists.

· Do not physically resist any robbery attempt.

· Review your personal security plans.

· Do not display signs of wealth, such as wearing expensive jewelry or watches.

· Call 112 if in urgent need of assistance.