1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with Osprey ATMOS, EXOS or other airspeed model? Help wanted.

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by Dutch, Apr 4, 2013.

1. Dutch

Dutch Member

Hi Guys,

I'm thinking about buying the Osprey ATMOS 50 or EXOS 46. The Exos seems perfect to me, if you look at the weight, BUT..... in the FAQ's on the Osprey website it says the following:

"We recommend that you do not check the Atmos or Stratos packs due to the design of the suspended mesh backpanel."

I checked with Osprey if the EXOS series also fits the NOT recommended category. They said YES. They say that if your bag is on the bottom of all the other luggage, chances are that the frame could be deformed because of the weight on top of it. And if the bag is checked in unprotected, the mesh on the backpanel can possibly get damaged.

This set me to thinking if the ATMOS or EXOS is the right choice for me, because i will have to check the bag. I know almost certainly that low cost carriers like ryanair will not allow these bags to be taken on board as 10kg handluggage. They are soooo strict in weight and size...i just cabnt imagine them being ok with it. Maybe intercontinetal "normal" carriers, but the low cost carriers?

My 2 question:
    1 - Does anybody have exprience with any Osprey model with the airspeed system as checked in luggage?
    2 - Does anybody have experience with a fully packed 45-50L pack (max 10kg) as handluggage with low cost carriers?
    3 - ANy experience with the Osprey Kestrel 48? Without airspeed system and mesh backpanel

thanks for the help!:)

2. davidc1946

davidc1946 New Member

I bought a suitcase at Goodwill that will hold my pack. I will discard/donate it when I get to Biarritz/Sjpp

El Condor 2014 likes this.
  3. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I have an Osprey Atmos 50 and love it, but I would never check it (or any other pack) in the hold of the plane. So far I've taken it on Iceland Air, British Airways, RyanAir and EasyJet (2011 and 2012 caminos) and I've had no trouble getting it through as carry-on. This has puzzled me, since it's about 1 inch longer than the requisite size. Note that though it's the "Large" size frame I never fully pack it -- it's about 2/3 full and tightly strapped, which means it does fit width and depth-wise into the luggage measurer thingy. Often I fly with my boots tied onto the outside, which does take up more room, but which is seldom noticed or commented on.

Besides the frame, the other two other reasons not to check a pack are: a) the plastic buckles. No matter how carefully it's wrapped in plastic these buckles can still be busted by luggage machinery, and b) if the pack and its contents are lost, as sometimes happens with luggage, it'd take days to reassemble the gear and walk the camino. To me it's all just too iffy to risk putting the pack in the hold.

Just out of curiosity, why must yours go there? Just wondering . . . .

4. davidc1946

davidc1946 New Member

I have an Osprey Kestrel 58- which I will not fill up for this trip- and just assumed it would not fit in the overhead! I guess I need to pack it and measure it. Thanks

5. Dutch

Dutch Member

Hi HuskyNerd,

Thanks for the reply, and offcourse all others also thnx!

Why would mine go there? You mean in the cargo part of the plain? Its just experience with several low cost carriers like ryanair, transavia ect.. They are so fixed or obsessed with luggage size and maybe even more by weight of it that it just seems unbelievable that they would accept a large item like a backpack of that size on the plain as handluggage. After all, they dont make any money of handluggage where as the checked luggage is money in the bank for them. Ive seen people with 10.2 kgs as handluggage having to check it in or loose the extra weight somehow and like you said, the pack is one inch longer than allowed and ive seen people aving to check for that reason aswell. I must say, only with low cost carriers, never the "normal" companys. They are much less obsessed with size, but i guess that maybe it it is not fully packed and strapped tightly enough it can work, as you mentioned.

I booked my flight yesterday, sept 2nd to biarritz with transavia.com and didnt opt to pay for check in luggage. First i'm gonna buy the pack, stow my goodies in it, strap it as tightly as possible and the measure it. I sure hope i dont have to check it. Not for the extra 15 euros, but the hassle of waiting by the belt. I'm nit to afraid it will be lost. Flying from a very small airport on a very short flight, t
    chances are slim. I guess the risk of this happening is much greater flying from the large airports with fully automated systems, when having cross-overs and offcourse flying intercontinental. Not of that applies to me on my camino trip.

So i'm just gonna try it and see :)

Any thoughts on the exos vs atmos? I like the leightweight part of the exos, but add a seperate raincover and, even if its just a little, the weight difference gets smaller or does the atmos not have a raincover "build in" like the kestrel? Walking in sept/oct a raincover can be a wise item.

I'm thinking about pre booking the first night in SJPP with ESPRIT DU CHEMIN, but dont like the part where they say, if you dont eat with us, dont book with us. I understand the thought behind it, but being sort of forced to eat in house in any hostel/pension/albuerge seems a bit strange, but the place does look nice...
    Anybody been there without prebooking diner?

6. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

I have recently purchased an exos 34, which is plenty big enough for my camino needs. I have since travelled with it via Ryanair from the UK to Spain as carry on with no problem. The frame is a little too long for the Ryanair specifications, but although they make everyone check that their carry on luggage fits in the basket, they do not make you put it in sideways, so as long as the depth of the pack fits, the length (within reason) does not seem to be an issue.

Because I have walking poles which I will have to check, I am planning on putting my pack into an old suitcase as mentioned by davidc1946 and post my poles back home at the end of my trip.

My daughter and I leave SJPP 16 April. So soon! Am glued to the forum for latest weather and conditions. I have done all I can to be prepared - can only hope that conditions improve over the next ten days.

thanks to all the very generous experienced pilgrims for sharing so much information. I could not possibly have been so well prepared without all your help.

7. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Both the Atmos and Exos are great packs. Hopefully you'll be able to try them both on before making a choice, since fit is a big deal.

At Esprit du Chemin the dinner is everything -- they have quite a send-off ceremony and focus on pilgrim relationships and camaraderie, as well as the spiritual aspects of what each pilgrim is getting into. I can see why they'd want pilgrims to be there for the whole deal, since the dinner festivities are part of it all. There are other places in town that can accept late arrivals. I stayed at Maison Bernat last time I was there and it was fine (though a little pricey). It's right across from the pilgrim office so is very convenient.

8. Dutch

Dutch Member

I already tried the exos 46, fully packed to 10kg and it is a great pack, the only thing where i think i noticed the negative side of the lightweight part of the bas was the shoulderstap padding around the collarbone. I found this not the most comfortable in the world, but i guess thats the price you pay for such i lightweight pack. It might not even be bad when you have a little extra flesh on your body, but my boney collarbones made me doubt my first choice, the exos 46. I did try the kestrel 48 and liked the seperate bottom for ie your sleepingbag, but this pack didnt have the airspeed system, which sounds great in warmer temperatures. Thats why, before i make a decision, i also need to try out the Atmos 50.

HuskyNerd, i read that you always bring your sleepingbag, regardless of the season. I would be the same way, for me just a liner isnt enough of feel on me. I think i am going for a down bag with total weight of 750 grams (dont know the oz, sorry) and looking at your "what to bring" list and the total max weight you say you bring, i was wondering, how much does your sleepingbag (and liner maybe?) weigh, if you can keep the total weight of your full pack so very low.

I understand the meaning of Esprit du chemin behind the whole diner thing, its just that i am not much of a group person, especially when they ask me to "share" on the how, when, wheres and why's of me, my life and my camino reasons. I have nothing to hide hahaha, just not the group sharing kind :) .... Another reason never to become an alcoholic that wants to stop drinking...AA meetings :p

9. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Here's my sleeping bag, which weighs 0.770 kg, approx same as yours, and here's my bag liner, which weighs 0.25 kg. So those two items are 1.0 kg of my total approx 8 kg pack weight.

10. Dutch

Dutch Member

Oh, thats a nice bag! And the price is even nicer that the bag itself :) VERY Good deal for a down sleepingbag with that weight.

Thats 1kg for you sleeping equipment, aprox 1.6 kg for your backpack, incl raincover. That leaves 5.4kg for clothing, accessories and toiletries.

I am amazed you are able to keep you total weight so low. Hope i can come anywhere near that weight. That would be awesome.
    Please tell me the 8Kg is excl water (how many liters?) & some food?

11. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    As I left Santiago's airport last year I placed my Osprey Atmos 50 on the scales at the check-in desk. The weight was 7.6 kilos. My 2L Camelbak was in the pack but was drained of water, there was no food in the pack, and I was wearing my recovery shoes, long pants and fleece (I get cold on airplanes). However, my boots were in my pack and if I'd been wearing them instead of my recovery shoes I'd have been even lighter.

After subtracting the difference between the weight of my boots and the weight of my recovery shoes and then adding the weight of water and food I would be at something like 9 kilos which I think is about optimal. It seems to me the only way to get lower than that would be to ditch the sleeping bag, which is something I'm not willing to do for a spring camino.

12. Dutch

Dutch Member

I'm really gonna go for an 8, max 9 kg bag. If i dont make it, i will have to look carefully at what i dont REALLY need.

Today i received my new sleepingbag. Its also nice and light, 50% less weight then my old synthetic bag of 1,5kg (which i really enjoyed for many years)..except the price of my new bag, this was not so light, your was much much "lighter" hahaha.
    It arrived in a HUGE box, which scared me. I was like, hey....this is not 18x18cm? But, how dumb of me, it was packed in a large mesh stow away bag, without any compression, because of the down offcourse. In the compressionbag it really was nice and small, i tried it immediately. ;)

I also ordered 3!! backpacks today, the osprey kestrel 48 (i really like the seperate zipper for entry on bottom), the atmos 50 and the exos 46. Really want to try the difference between the last two (more comfort vs lightweigt). I can choose in the comfort of my own home and return the bags i dont want within 30 days after delivery. GREAT service! Unfortunately i have to wait aprox 7-8 days for delivery as they all were exclusive online deals and have to come from Osprey UK instead of one of the shops here, Because of this i could not try the ones i was interested in, in the shop, but this is also a good solution.
    So, no choosing and "playing" yet. Have to be patient.

Also got my new boots last weekend in the same shop where i ordered my backpacks today. Meindl Vakuum ultra. I also tried on normal walking shoes, but the higher boots just felt a better fit for feet and ankles walking up and down the trial hill made of stones in the shop. Especially with a backpack in my back. Now just need t wear them in really well, but thats not any problem.
    Also a great service of this store...try the shoes inside your house for 30 days. If they dont feel right, return them for money or other shoes, no questions asked. Now thats service!
    offcourse i dont think that many people would use this service, so i'm sure it easy to offer this, but still, if you want to use it, its great.

Now just have to find Permethrin somewhere. Its not sold in Netherlands, not allowed :(

Eventhough i'm not walking my camino for another 4,7 months, i just want to have all the goodies ready...just for fun...or very long forplay :)

13. jwmarshall

jwmarshall New Member

Last July I hiked with the Osprey Kestral 48 on the Camino Ingles. Loved it. It is light weight and seems to have infinite adjustability. It was easy to get into the two top pockets. The two hip belt pockets carried my camera on one side and on the trail food in the other side along with a map. Side pockets on the pack are perfect for a water bottle or whatever, The bottom section of the bag was easy to get into with that lower zipper. Also the rain fly sure came in handy several times as that camino travels through a number of micro-climates and I encountered light rain almost every day.

14. Dutch

Dutch Member

After playing and messing around with the 3 backpacks i ordered, i made my choice: my winner is the exos 46.

The kestrel lost the battle after only one round. The airscape backpanel for me could not win it from the comfort that the airspeed models give you and that is just the wearing comfort indoors talking here, let alone the extra comfort of not having the backpanel directly agains you sweaty back.
    I must say, i will miss the bottom compartment for the sleeping bag that the kestrel does have, but i guess wearing comfort beats (un)packing comfort any day of the week.

The atmos and exos remained. These 2 are pretty similar. In my opinion you could say that the exos is the lightweight version of the atmos and that, in the end, won me over. I did not see or feel any real big differences between these two. Yes, the exos is less padded in some places, but after packing them both to 10kg and wearing them for 2 hours each, the discomfort of the lesser padding in the exos was, to me, so small, that it was the obvious winner for me. I loved both bags though, but feeling the difference when they are empty is amazing. The exos is sooo light, its amazing.

15. larricka

larricka New Member

Home Page:
    I will be taking an Osprey Atmos 50 finding it a very good fit for my size and shape. It currently weights 21.4 lbs with a camino load. My question HuskyNerd is I'm carrying a down sleeping bag, a sleep sack, and a sleep mat all very light items. Do I need all three and if I don't which one would you give up?

16. Covey

Covey Active Member

The choice of the Osprey pack is a good one, and both Sandy and I use one and have recommended it for the past four or five years. When you are on your third or fourth trip down a Camino route (it gets addictive!!) you will really appreciate why!!

The mat is not vital. Many carry one and then wonder why. It is useful for the odd hours sunbathing, but is awkward to pack and carry. You could cut 18" off the end and take that as something waterproof to sit on at the side of the road when wet.

17. BoxOfFrogs

BoxOfFrogs Member

Last September I walked from St Jean to finisterra with the exos 46, I stripped the lid off before I went and added a pack cover from off an old 50 ltr Berghaus I had kicking about, I stuffed this deep down into the compartment for the water bladder as I used a bottle and refilled as and when I could.

The pack was awesome, this year I have used it on a winter mountaineering course and it easily accommodated crampons and ice axes and it's so comfy you forget that you're even wearing it. I must of used it half a dozen times since the camino and it's still going strong.

It will be joining me on the CP in August from Lisbon. Now, if only my boots were so hard wearing....

Steve.

18. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

19. Dutch

Dutch Member

Hi Steve,

Glad to hear you enjoyed the EXOS 46. Cant wait to take mine out for the long haul...less then 2,5 months to go :)

Just wondering, why did you take the top lid of? Just for more weightsaving?
    And what did you put in the waterbottle compartment? the lid? or the berghaus cover?

Greetz
    Ducth

20. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

Good to hear the good review of the Exos 46. That's the pack I have. Two questions: First, same as Dutch: Why take off the lid? It seems handy to me for small, often used items. Second, is a sleeping bag really necessary for a Camino during Sep. to early Oct? I have a very light, but very warm 3 season bag. I'd rather not have to buy another.

21. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

I assume we are talking about the Exos 48 which is what I use. I have also stripped off the top lid and all the external straps as I do not need them. The stripped down empty weight is less than 1kg, and everything will be packed in the main body of the pack in a waterproof garbage bag. My total pack weight will be around 5Kgs. I will also use a Berghaus pack cover from my 35 litre Capacitor pack which fits the stripped down Exos 48 perfectly.

The pockets in the hip belt and on the shoulder straps give me enough room for the small items I use during the day, as well as my trouser pockets.

22. Randy Dickow

My Exos is a 46. I think I could also take the lid off and keep those items (sun block, lip balm, etc.) in the hip belt pockets. I'll test that out this weekend on a training hike. I do not have a rain cover, but was thinking that the duffel I'll use to protect the pack in transit would then fit inside as a complete "dry bag" for the whole pack. Thoughts?

Last edited: Jan 20, 2016
  23. fluffkitten

fluffkitten Member

Sneaking in for a 1st post.

I own an Exos 38 that I use for just about everything from day walks to week long camping trips. Even with the lid removed it will normally hold everything I need and more. The mesh pocket on the back is brilliant for wet gear and each side pocket will easily hold a litre water bottle if you prefer not to use the hydration pouch. Both the hipbelt pockets and the small shoulder strap pockets hold more than expected. Only thing I don't like is that it doesn't come with a rain cover meaning extra cost or necessitating using a liner and/or dry bags .

This is the most comfortable pack I've ever owned and I'm really happy carrying it for days on end. No connection to Osprey just a complete fan girl of the Exos 38.

Devon Mike likes this.
  24. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Well-Known Member Donating Member

Gee, I don't know how you guys keep your Back pack down 5 kg ? I have packed and repacked my Osprey Talon 44 for my second Camino and I still can't get it below 8.5 kg. ( which is 10% of my body weight ! )

25. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Randy

I just noticed your question above.

I have a range of “Rucksack Pro-Tector’s” ethically manufactured in Nepal http://www.pro-tector.co.uk/rucksack.html and if your own duffle is of a similar construction to there, then this is a good idea – I actually advertise my own Rucksack Pro-Tector’s as being designed with this in mind as a second function

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

26. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Here is my packing list from last year when I walked in May/June.....

Attached Files:

27. Randy Dickow

OTE="RJS, post: 36626, member: 20629"]Hi Randy

I just noticed your question above.

I have a range of “Rucksack Pro-Tector’s” ethically manufactured in Nepal http://www.pro-tector.co.uk/rucksack.html and if your own duffle is of a similar construction to there, then this is a good idea – I actually advertise my own Rucksack Pro-Tector’s as being designed with this in mind as a second function

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob[/QUOTE]

I've been to and bookmarked your site. I plan on purchasing the "Trekker" which looks like it will do double duty as you note. The travel pouch is on my list as well. My question I've posted in another thread is do I really need to take my sleeping bag? It's a three season bag (20/7) and weighs 3# 10oz. I really don't want to buy another bag, but will if I have to.

28. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I tracked down your other thread randy and it appears you are leaving saint Jean Pied de Port in early September – My own view is that I always take a sleeping bag on Camino, but one that is considerably lighter than yours – The main reasons for taking a sleeping bag is that you can then stay more or less anywhere, sometimes the Refugio’s are full when you get to them and have to sleep on the floor, some of the simpler Refugio’s don’t provide bed linen (Or sometimes even provide beds) and some overflow Refugio’s are in places like sports halls, so are big and draughty.

I am pleased that you like the look of some of my Pro-Tector range and look forwards to receiving your order - If I haven’t already :)

Best Regards

Rob

Randy Dickow likes this.
  29. Randy Dickow

Thanks for the response. I'll take a bag along with the liner. I just found a light summer bag at REI for a decent price, and I just ordered the Trekker and pouch on your site. The bag cited above by HuskyNerd (April 2013) is no longer available, but there was a comparable bag. I have 228 days until departure, but really looking forward to this trip. I just got a confirming email from Refuge Orrison (in only 1 day!) so I'm getting things in order with time to spare. That's the only reservation I'll make as everything after that is "playing by ear."

Buen Camino

30. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

During our October, 2015 camino I'm guessing that almost 50% of pilgrims had Osprey brand backpacks (various sizes and models). My wife and I both had Osprey - I had a 50L Atmos and she had a 48L Kestrel. Both were ideal for us. We'll use them again for our next Camino Frances in October, 2017. With regards to checking bags, we scheduled a flight with RyanAir from Santiago to Madrid. Quite a bargain and it was a one hour direct flight. We decided to check my Atmos and carry on her Kestrel. I was able to collapse both sets of trekking poles and place them inside my backpack. I also had a pocketknife in the checked bag. To avoid damage to the straps and mesh panel, I placed the Atmos in a large cotton cloth bag I purchased at REI. This was very lightweight and the size of a large laundry bag. My completely loaded Atmos fit snugly inside the bag and I had no problems checking it on and picking it up after the flight. The white cloth was a bit dirty, but it kept our items secure. My wife carried her loaded Kestrel on board and had no issues. Flying back to the US from Madrid, we placed both Ospreys in the REI cloth bags and had no issues.