1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Extreme Weather On The Camino

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Greg Canning, Jun 24, 2019.

1. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

To everyone currently on Camino or about to start, please be aware that there are extreme hot weather conditions forecast for central and southern Europe to the end of this week (see Guardian article here https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jun/24/hell-is-coming-week-long-heatwave-begins-across-europe) . Burgos is forecast to see temperatures up to 39 degrees centigrade. Expect the temperatures on the Meseta to be high.

Please ensure you carry plenty of water and take regular drinks. Don't wait until you feel thirsty as that means you are already experiencing dehydration.

Try to start early in the morning, before or as close to dawn as possible and try to finish walking by lunch time.

To everyone, be safe and Buen Camino

Greg

Last edited: Jun 24, 2019
  2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Greg, thanks for the weather update. I can't imagine walking the camino during the brutal heat. In addition to risk of dehydration, sun stroke, heat exhaustion, the summer months are very busy with many pilgrims. And there is no air conditioning in most albergues.

I recall during our first camino, I sometimes walked the entire stage without peeing once. In the book "Wild" by Cheryl Strayed, I read that you are well hydrated if you need to pee three or four times per day during your hike. Also, if you don't hydrate and eat too much bread ("pan") and bocadillo sandwiches, for sure you will become constipated. For our second camino, we limited eating bread, and ate tortilla espanola and meals with olive oil as a base and things worked much better for us digestion-wise.

Bob

3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

The heat wave may have triggered a fire in Northeast Spain which spread to 13,500 acres of land.

4. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Bob

Dangerous times indeed. France has recorded it's highest ever temperature. Breaking the previous record by 5 degrees centigrade!

Hope everyone on Camino is being careful.

Greg

BROWNCOUNTYBOB likes this.
  5. Bearded Peregrino

Bearded Peregrino Unshaven Member

Home Page:
    I've prepared this. The upstairs AC here at the rectory has been out for weeks. So, I've just opened the windows and relied on air circulation in my bedroom. Needless to say, there have been some uncomfortable nights.

Crank up the heat!!

But seriously, please everyone stay safe and hydrated.

6. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Greg, on a similar thread one year ago, you mentioned the Mission Enduracool Cooling Towel. I purchased three - one for hot and humid Indiana summers, and one each for my wife and me to use on our next camino, beginning mid-September. Hopefully the hot weather will be over by then. We have a "casa del campo" in Brown County, IN and I had to cut the grass yesterday with very hot and humid weather. I used the Cooling Towel yesterday as I was cutting grass. It did a great job and is so easy to use. I soaked it in water, wrung it out, snapped it a few times, then wrapped it around my neck. Thanks for the recommendation ! Bob

davebugg likes this.