1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FAO: Sandy

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by backiej, Feb 27, 2012.

1. backiej

backiej Member

Hi Sandy

I have almost finished my book, Tortoises on the Via de la Plata. It is a personal journey gives practical information on albergues, some anecdotes, and some descriptions of the route as well as being humorous and spiritual. Its a bit like 'I'm off then' by Hape Kerkling. I am going to publish it on Smashwords and I wondered if I would be allowed to 'advertise' it on here.

Please let me know because I don't want to break any rules

Best wishes

Jackie

2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Thanks for asking, Jackie. You're a Forum regular and I think that if you link to it in one new thread that will be fine. Leslie will need to know, so I'll alert him. I'm looking forward to reading about your Camino!

3. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Hi Jackie,

No problem. I am open to reviewing books also on the main part of the site - today I just got plastic maps in the post from Welcome to Camino Downunder and they are quite cool - so I will be doing a write-up about them on the blog shortly.

All the best

4. backiej

backiej Member

Thanks Sandy

hopefully it won't be too long. I don't know how to use photoshop to make a cover so I'll have to learn that first.

best wishes

Jackie

5. backiej

backiej Member

Thanks Leslie

I was hoping to publish Tortoises as a real book but it is expensive and I am not working at the moment so I am going to publish it on Smashwords but I am not very technically minded so although the manuscript is almost done the hard part will be photos and a cover. Hopefully I won't take too long to learn.
    Best wishes
    Jackie

6. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    From what I see going on in the Camino area right now loads of people are publishing on Amazon Kindle. Though there does seem to be some tech issues in that. everyone and their granny is now publishing a guide on the Camino - well not me... yet.

There are some great photoshop how tos on youtube - but if I was just learning for this one project I would not use PS it has a hard learning curve - or maybe that is just me. Gimp - GIMP - The GNU Image Manipulation Program - is free and a bit easier to use.

7. backiej

backiej Member

Thanks for the info Leslie

I have been trying to use Gimp all day but with limited success. I'm not a technophobe exactly but I only use Word and the Internet so I know little else.

You're right about everyone writing about the Camino, I see Ger has a book on Smashwords; perhaps the Camino in all its forms is asking us to create. Mine's not really a guidebook just my story and some information about albergues, the route and the extraordinary things that happened to us on the way. It was definitiely a life changing experience for me and writing the book was as much about learning as walking the Camino was. I think I have become and continue to become a nicer person for it.

If you would like me to I could upload a sample.

In the meantime I need to get on with the technical stuff which is far more difficult than actually writing the book

Best wishes

Jackie