1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Feedback On Ventosa Albergue

Discussion in 'Albergues - Hostels' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Sep 10, 2016.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

My wife and I are planning our second camino frances next fall. My brother and his wife will join us. Putting together our hiking plan, we'd like to tentatively spend a night in Ventosa. (Last year we hiked from Logrono to Najera and that was a very long day). There is only one albergue in Ventora - San Saturnino. I've used "Wise Pilgrim" to provide helpful information on albergues and several pilgrims commented that there were problems with bed bugs there. I'd like feedback from others if you have stayed there. I'd rather walk another very long day than spend a night with bed bugs. Thanks, Bob

2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Bob - Sorry I can't provide you with any information on Ventosa, but if you decide to hike further on to Nájera I can recommend the Albergue Puerta de Nájera right on the river and close to a supermarket and many eateries in the old part of town. It did fill up quickly when I was there (shortly after opening at 1 pm), but you can reserve beds there.

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  3. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Thanks, Wily. During our last camino, my wife and I arrived late afternoon in Najera since we hiked from Logrono that morning. I'm pretty sure Puerta de Najera was our first choice, but it was "completo". We decided to check in at the albergue municipal. Big mistake. There are 46 bunks / 92 total beds and it was jammed. One of the three men's showers was out of order. Poor ventilation made the room very muggy that night and you can imagine the loud chorus of snoring throughout the night. We also received rude treatment twice in Najera. We stopped at a bar that was advertising a special - a glass of wine and a tapa for only a few euros. So we went inside to order the special and the waiter / owner said the special did not start until 8 pm! The next morning, we stopped at a place for a light breakfast. Not only were we overcharged for breakfast, the waiter scolded us for setting our backpacks outside on chairs even though we were the only ones in the restaurant and we weren't planning on staying there for more than 15 minutes. If possible, our next camino, we'll not spend the night there.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  4. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Bob, I think problem with bedbugs in (any) albergue is only temporary, until it is desinfected. So any information about bedbugs is after few weeks/months " in past"

5. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Danvo, I understand your point and with Permethrin spray we did not have any problems with bedbugs during our camino last fall. There were other comments on the Ventosa albergue (the hospitalera was very authoritarian) which will not likely change. Also, Ventosa is a small town that does not have a grocery store. I've now modified our walking plan for us to have an easy walk and stay in Navarette. Larger town, plenty of places to stay.

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  6. Wily

Hey Bob - In doing my research last spring on albergues, I paid attention to what others said in their reviews of the various sleeping options. I was particularly sensitive to the comments about the hospitaleros since they often make or break a stay at a particular albergue. For me, doing the online research really paid off. The descriptions, reviews, photos, etc. were pretty much spot on. No surprises at all! Of all the albergues I stayed in, there were a handful of really outstanding ones. What made them outstanding? The hospitaleros! Whether you make reservations or not, I'd highly recommend you do your homework and check out possible places to stay in advance. Many albergues have their own website. I found it easy to collect information by doing a simple Google search of "albergues in town name."

7. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

Wily, for our first camino last year, we mostly relied on the Brierley guide and the albergue listing which showed number of beds, type of albergue, cost, and facilities in each. This time I'm doing much more research looking at the albergue's website, reading pilgrim comments. As you've suggested, I will make advance reservations for as many as possible prior to our next camino.

8. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

Wily, where do I find phone #' for these places? I'm in planning stage now, leaving mid April 2017 so worried about busy month of May.

9. Wily

Hey GinaMarie - I found the phone numbers for the albergues in several places. First, many of the private albergues have websites. In setting up many of my reservations from the States, I simply Googled "albergues in town name". Most of the time I was able to see a pretty comprehensive set of the albergues in that particular town. From the website, I was able to get both email addresses and phone numbers. If you're making reservations in advance from home, just send them a simple email requesting a bed reservation for a particular night. Almost every albergue I wrote to responded to me.

Second, a guidebook like Brierely's contains contact information for many of the albergues. The guidebooks don't give a lot of information, but I supplemented it with what I found online.

Third, when I visited the Pilgrim's Welcoming Center in SJPP, I was given a fairly comprehensive list of albergues by town along The Way with phone numbers. This was probably the single most important paper, next to my credencial, that I carried with me on my walk.

Fourth, the albergues themselves seem to be a pretty close net group. Hospitaleros often know phone numbers for albergues in the next town. Every one who I asked to call ahead for me did so most graciously.

Finally, here is a comprehensive list of albergues on the Camino Francés updated in July that I found on another Camino forum.
    https://www.caminodesantiago.me/com...lbergues-on-the-camino-frances-in-one-pdf.10/

Ginamarie likes this.
  10. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

GREAT info Wily-thanks much! I am not going to be a fast walker so it will be a relief to have this list.