1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Female walkers - monthly issue

Discussion in 'Medical Problems' started by ctlou, Sep 26, 2009.

1. ctlou

ctlou New Member

I understand this is a public forum but, could anyone delicately tell me about how women have handled their monthly biological issue?
    Are there supplies along the way? Discarding used supplies: Do they put them in a ziplock back and dispose of at the next town?
    This practical info seems to be lacking and for me it is my most limiting issue.
    Thanks

2. aseranis

aseranis Guest

This is a matter of personal preference, but it doesn't need to be limiting at all. Myself, I like to take a small nylon bag (sleeping bag stuff sack, for instance) and pack it with toilet paper, fresh hygiene products, and sandwich baggies. This way, everything stays together, and it's all demurely packed away. I don't bother with ziplocks, because they're more expensive and heavier plastic than the fold-over ones, and it seems wasteful for something that's going to be thrown out in short order. You could also put your trowel (for #2's) in the bag to keep everything together. Toss the sandwich baggies in a garbage can when you get the chance.

Never, ever leave your waste at the side of the trail, even if you bury it. Like toilet paper, feminine products will theoretically break down but, also like toilet paper, this is rarely what actually happens. More often it gets dug up and chewed on by small rodents -- and if you think the description is unpleasant, imagine seeing it on the roadside.

I like to go up one or two absorbancy levels, since I find it tidier all around. Another option to consider is a Diva Cup, which is a re-usable hygiene product. Some people like it, some find it a bit suspect. You can always buy your supplies along the road, but it may be difficult to find in smaller villages and they may not have what you like/are used to. It's probably not a bad idea to bring some spares from home in any case.

3. ctlou

ctlou New Member

Thank-you arsenais.
    The information you provided was really helpful. It helped me frame up the topic in my own mind.

4. hanifnoor

hanifnoor Guest

I like to take a small nylon bag (sleeping bag stuff sack, for instance) and pack it with toilet paper, fresh hygiene products, and sandwich baggies. This way, everything stays together, and it's all demurely packed away. I don't bother with ziplocks, because they're more expensive and heavier plastic than the fold-over ones, and it seems wasteful for something that's going to be thrown out in short order. You could also put your trowel (for #2's) in the bag to keep everything together. Toss the sandwich baggies in a garbage can when you get the chance.

Never, ever leave your waste at the side of the trail, even if you bury it. Like toilet paper, feminine products will theoretically break down but, also like toilet paper, this is rarely what actually happens. More often it gets dug up and chewed on by small rodents

5. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

I must say I am very impressed with you responsible attitude, there is nothing worse than walking in the great outdoors to find someones toilet waste. on the camino any shade from the sun you will find "The Evidence right there"I take a tough orange plastic trowel with me.
    just like to add to those reading this never use wet wipes. they do not breakdown. there is a saying in summer on the camino just follow the white toilet paper trail......
    Thanks

6. cw18

cw18 New Member

I plan to take a purchase of nappy sacks or doggy poop bags with me for carrying used toilet paper etc in. They're cheap to buy, and very light and compact for packing. Nappy sacks tend to be slightly scented whereas poop bags are less see through - my final choice will almost certainly be made based on price & availability as I pick up the last few things I need.

7. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Public forum
    I don't think it matters, this subject needs a good debate and about time

in some cafes/bars along the camino they have vending machines with tampax. not seen towels though..and all the towns have all the varieties. I had to run back to Astorga on my first camino when I was walking with someone I met and she had a unexpected heavy period due to all the walking she was not used too.and needed towels as well fast (she had tampax......so another Spanish word I learned was sanitary towel which is called a "compresa". got some strange looks in the supermarket,there great for padding on your ankles, seen this many times

Last edited: Nov 29, 2014
  8. Natash

Natash New Member

Hi, I´m trying to generate as little waste as possible and I´ve been using washable cloth pads such as Lunapads for over a year now and I highly recommend them. I´ve used them on a recent 6-weeks-long roadtrip as well and it was a success! I just washed them with my clothes as soon as I had a chance. I don´t know whether doing laundry is an option in the Camino as I haven´t done it yet but just thought I´d share my experience. Cheers!