1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Countdown

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by whitechurch13, May 1, 2014.

1. whitechurch13

whitechurch13 New Member

OK this is it the final countdown the 1st of May and I am flying out from Dublin on the 26th of May. The flight gets in to Biarritz 16.50 and I hope the new Ryanair will let me bring my backpack on board with me it is a 35L. I will be starting my Camino on the 27 May from St. Jean pied de Port and waking to Roncesvalles this is the only stage I am worried about I am 59 and medium fit so I hope I will ok. I was thinking about staying in Orisson but I only have 11 days and I hope to get to Logrono and thak a rest day on the way and as Orisson is only about 10k I think it is not far enough. I have no accommodation booked in St. Jean pied de Port but I think the passport office will sort something out for me.If anyone has any advise it would be great to hear fron you. Buen Camino. Sean :eek:

2. clearer_skies

clearer_skies Member

Home Page:
    Hi Sean. I know exactly how you feel. I start 2 days after you.
    I also have 11 days and hope to make it to Belorado. You should have no problems making it to Logrono, you have allowed yourself plenty of time.
    The first day also worries me, but I should be ok when I get to Roncesvalles...hopefully! :)

Buen Camino
    David

3. Dutch

Dutch Member

Just 1 more night before departing to Porto. Start walking monday :)

4. whitechurch13

whitechurch13 New Member

Best of luck enjoy Buen Camino

5. turms

turms New Member

and i have almost 20 days....to start

6. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Less than 2 weeks to departure day on 25th May. I will arrive in SJPP on the 27th and start my Camino on the 28th. Buen Camino to everyone out there and I look forward to meeting up with those of you on the Way at the same time as me. Mike

7. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Getting close now with just four days until I leave the UK on Sunday. I will arrive in SJPP on Tuesday ready to begin my Camino next Wednesday. My plan is to complete the walk to Santiago in 29 days then a further 5 days to Finisterre and Muxia before my journey home. If anyone else is on a similar schedule I look forward to meeting up with you on the Way. Buen Camino.

El Condor 2014 likes this.
  8. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

31 days to go, Doing Camino Del Norte ~

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  9. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

How exciting, it is your 3rd Camino, right? With only a month to go, It would be difficult
    for me to tend to tasks at home! Ha...Will you be blogging your Walk? Would enjoy
    watching for your posts. Buen Camino!!

10. El Condor 2014

danvo, UnkleHammy, hindsfeet and 2 others like this.
  11. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Yes – Camino Walking is certainly Addictive – And there are an abundance of routes to choose from – a Good example being that on The Camino Norte, you have the Big Decision of whether to stick to the coast after Villaviciosa – Or to head over the hills on The Camino Primitivo ......

http://web.archive.org/web/20151120125413/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/c2/

Have you decided yourself yet El Condor ??

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

12. El Condor 2014

Thanks @RJS , Yes I think I will stay with my Original Plan and take Camino del Norte / La Costa and bypass Camino Primitivo

Jose

13. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    It’s a Hard Decision Jose and my own reality is that whichever route you choose, you will one day have to return to Villaviciosa and walk the other – I Really enjoyed The Camino Primitivo – But I also Really enjoyed The Camino Norte !!

But the Good Thing is that you can just about fit The Camino Primitivo into a two week timeslot, so returning at a future date to walk the route won’t take up all of your annual leave ;-)

Best Regards

Rob

14. El Condor 2014

Hi @RJS
    Thanks for your feed back
    It will be a great excuse to come back and do El Camino Primitivo , I am sure my wife will understand (LOL)
    I live in Australia and to do another Camino it will not be for just two weeks,
    I would have to do Camino del Norte again and Camino Primitivo. ( getting excited already !)
    Regarding annual leave. I am retired ( only work when my wife ask me to do something !) hence, I have plenty of annual leave. ( Just need to make an application and get my wife to approve it ! LMHO

Best regards
    Jose

15. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I have the same problem with a great wife. So far she has always approved my well thought trip requests.

16. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Yes Jose, It Is a long way to come from Australia just to walk a short Camino – And there are several other wonderful but little know options that link the routes together !!

I have spent quite a few miles joining previous Caminos together by walking these link routes, but as I am a Brit, hopping over to Spain isn’t a problem for me ;-) – But IF you wished, rather than to walk a “Way” that you have already travelled, you could also consider walking these link routes yourself.

Apart from The Camino Primitivo you have

The Tunnel Route http://web.archive.org/web/20151031041735/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/be/

As well as

The two Cami San Juan’s

http://web.archive.org/web/20151031060918/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/3cd66/ Which eventually joins The Camino Frances at Logrono

http://web.archive.org/web/20151102042856/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/b7/

And the alternative start to The Camino Frances, The Camino Aragones http://web.archive.org/web/20151031073132/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/2c/

The only problem would be linking them all together ;-)

But, like you said, as long as your wife signs your leave pass, you have all the time in the world :)

Best Regards

Rob

17. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Thank you so much for posting these, Rob! It's wonderful that these lesser-known paths are marked well enough to follow. Good to have new possibilities to dream about:0)).

RJS likes this.
  18. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem C4S – Always pleased to offer up a few different ideas :)

Eventually, I would like to rewrite all my Camino blogs as the original platform that they were written on, VT was closed down by their owners Trip Advisor and can now only be accessed through cached sites and, alas, a lot of the original info has gone missing :-(

I have made a start with http://mybigcamino.travellerspoint.com/ but it would take forever to rewrite everything !!

Thanks again for your kind words

Best Regards

Rob

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  19. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

That's rotten - I did click on some of your old links intermittently and found that the link was broken - glad you're reconstructing them even if it's a pain and a loss. Looking forward to reading the rewritten ones!

UnkleHammy and RJS like this.
  20. El Condor 2014

Thanks @RJS , interesting Caminos , I have checked your suggestions and will consider after I finish Camino de la Costa !

Regards
    Jose

21. El Condor 2014

mmm I had no problems opening the links !

22. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Jose – I Hope that I have given you some food for thought ;-)

With the broken links – I have lost over 50% of my original blogs as although the main introductory pages are still there, I had a originally broken each Camino down into daily stages on the Sports and Outdoor Tips Section and written a little of what to expect each day, terrain, lunch and coffee stops, notable features etc and also reviewed each night’s accommodation, whether it was Albergue, Hotel or Refugio on the Hotel Tips Section and it is these links that often no longer work.

I will get around to rewriting things, but this might well take some time :-(

Best Regards

Rob

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.