1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Final Request/question

Discussion in 'Camino Primitivo or Original Way' started by Timothy Stark, Apr 29, 2018.

1. Timothy Stark

Timothy Stark Teacher and Hiker

Hello,
    I depart for my Camino Primitivo soon and I want to revisit a popular topic, but that doesn't seem to give me a definitive answer:
    When looking at the shell on a sign or post, do I follow the longest line in the middle or the complete opposite which means to go in the direction of the spot on the shell where all the lines converge?

I am a bit nervous about losing my way on any given day, so if I encounter a shell without an accompanying yellow arrow, which way do I go?

Here are two conflicting images. Please help...
    Tim

Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 2.29.50 PM.png Screen Shot 2018-04-29 at 2.43.56 PM.png

Wily likes this.
  2. Richard

Richard Member

Follow the arrow!!
    The spot/fulcrum where all the lines converge represents Santiago, but the shell is not always mounted to guide you in the right direction. I soon realized this. Arrows are liberally displayed, on kerb stones, paths, walls etc..
    Solitary shells are sometimes mounted on a wall at the entrance/along the length of an avenue. Through urban areas shells are imbedded in the pavements, brass or impressed in paving slabs, all very followable.
    You still have to concentrate as a change in direction can be missed. Happened to me a couple of times, but was soon corrected by a well meaning Spaniard!! They must see it all the time.
    Also, don't just follow the pilgrim in front of you, because if they make a mistake, so will you ....also happened to me...:-(
    All part of the fun!! Buen Camino.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    UnkleHammy, Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Tim - It seems that we all make wrong turns from time to time. However, these errors, although generally few, are usually quickly righted. As Richard suggested, follow the arrows. Although I haven’t been on the Primitivo, the Caminos that I have walked have generally been very well signed. I wouldn't worry about getting lost. If all else fails, just ask someone the Camino direction. Being able to speak a few words of Spanish may come in handy.

The direction of the points of the shell or the base of the shell do not consistently indicate the direction at least not in Galicia. You will see both orientations for the direction you want to go. But, more often than not, you’ll be following arrows that should keep you pointed toward Santiago. The photo below shows the signage for choosing between Finisterre and Muxía. The shell itself isn't much help. Buen Camino!

0240A782-0BFE-4343-B6A9-831108941387.jpeg

Last edited: Apr 29, 2018
    oldman, UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  4. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

20170515_050309.jpg These were in the pavement in Pamplona. There is about 10M between them and the next can usually be seem. My feet are behind the marker and I am about to continue on straight ahead.

Wily likes this.
  5. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Tim, for our two caminos, we found it easy to follow the waymarkings. In most cases, even when you leave the albergue early, pilgrims are already out walking, so it's easy to simply follow the pilgrims ahead of you (and then checking the waymarkings along the way). I walked with my wife both caminos and it's great to have two sets of eyes looking for the next arrow or shell. On most paths, if there are choices (right or left), there is a waymark to guide you. Walking on the senda from town to town was intuitive. Also, if the weather is nice, you can simply follow the sun, since you are heading west everyday from St Jean all the way to Santiago. During our last camino, we learned of "camino tan", which was tanned skin on the back of your legs since most of the day, the sun is on the back of your legs. For the larger cities (Burgos, Leon, Logrono), it's important to be alert to look for waymarkings, since there are so many other distractions. Bob

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  6. Brucepayne

Brucepayne Member

I only got lost twice,and found my way back fairly quickly,and it was mostly because I way yapping and not looking. The way is well marked and you will not have any trouble! Any way enjoy the journey,take it all in stride,and enjoy the journey. If you have any questions,please feel free to ask me. Buen Camino

Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  7. John Matthews

John Matthews New Member

Hi Tim, I walked the Camino Primitivo in April 2018 and I would advise to pay particular attention while walking in Asturias as the shells do not always point in the direction of travel. However after crossing into Galicia you can rely on the direction of the shells. I used the Wise Pilgrim Guide (hard copy) and it was an excellent resource. I wish you well on your journey. Buen Camino.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  8. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris The Camino Provides

Home Page:
    Hi Tim,
    I just returned from the Primitivo. From Oviedo through Asturias, the shells rays point away from Santiago. When you cross the border to Galicia, the rays point towards it, but this is not consistent! In fact, it made us laugh how the shell plaques flip-flopped in both directions. Don't worry, there are also arrows pointing the correct way. The route is very well marked. However, I did take a wrong turn one day because there were arrows on the ground for a bike race, but we quickly got back on track.
    Trust your intuition. And if you need more guidance, use the Wise Pilgrim Camino Primitivo App that comes with a free offline map app. Install the bundle while you have strong wi-fi.
    My Primitivo stages are posted here:
    https://thecaminoprovides.com/2018/06/28/camino-primitivo/
    Buen Camino!

RJS, Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  9. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Very Nice blog Laurie and Good to have some up to date info on The Camino Primativo :)

You trekked the route in a far more reasonable timeframe to myself and with hindsight, I should have also added a day or two to my own trekking schedule – Alas my own blog was decimated when TA took over VT and a lot of the info that I posted was lost – But most of my own stages are still intact and I took two days less to get from Oviedo to Lugo https://web.archive.org/web/20131102113536/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/c2/d/

BUT – My recommendation would be to follow the same daily stages that you did !!

In my view, The Camino Primativo is one of the better Camino’s as far as scenery goes and therefore, I am sure that as time goes on, it will become increasingly more popular.

Best Regards

Rob