1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fires In Galicia, Evacuations, Military Out

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Crepes4Suzette, Oct 16, 2017.

1. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Up to 146 separate fires in Galicia since Saturday. Two dead so far. Somewhere between 17 and 80 are active presently, some very large. Many thought to be deliberately set, as the fires in Portugal were thought to be as well during the same drought conditions during the summer. The entire region is said to be smoky. Large fires reported active across the river in Triacastela and beyond Ponferrada, Vigo areas being evacuated, report from Fonfria of trees on fire across from the albergue, report from another in a hostal of hot room, doors closed against smoke from outside and halls. Report that Samos is "burned out". It looks like Redondela is on fire also.

Please be careful, everyone approaching or in Galicia. Kim F. has hopefully left Santiago for Finisterre by now, but I don't know if there are fires toward the coast.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Gosh Crepes4Suzette, there hasn’t been any coverage of this on UK TV – Or if there has been, then I haven’t seen it :-(

Spain certainly seems to be having some problems at the present time; first it was Catalan independence, now its fires in Galicia !!

Thanks so much for posting this info – I’m sure that it will prove very useful to a lot of people

Best Regards

Rob

3. Crepes4Suzette

Reports are now 6 dead, mostly firefighters. There are thousands of firefighters and military out. I got a number of articles from googling "fires Galicia" after reading some posts by people on Camino right now who know something is wrong but are having trouble getting information. I think the Telegraph in UK has an internet post about it. They've had drought and high winds, but this seems to be just providing an opportunity for arsonists. It's been going on in Portugal all summer. It's bad. (sorry, edited - not the Independent - it's the Telegraph that has UK article - it's being covered all over now).

Last edited: Oct 16, 2017
  4. Paul McGranaghan

Paul McGranaghan Member

Horrible, shocking news.
    I sincerely hope all pilgrims stay out of harms way. My heart goes out to those affected by these disasters.

5. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Donating Member Donating Member

So sad to hear of these fires. Disasters are hitting just about everywhere. Praying
    for safety of all those nearby. :(

6. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

The AP has an item about this. It says the in Portugal there have been 32 deaths and in Spain 4.

7. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Dreadful news. Thoughts and prayers are with those caught up in this.

Buen Camino

Greg

Dennis White and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  8. Crepes4Suzette

Looks like a little rain and courageous firefighters and military and police and citizens have gotten things under better control, so that's wonderful news. However, if most of it is arson and there haven't been a number of arrests, I'm not sure there will be much resolution. It looks like there are fires around A Fonsagrada, in case anyone is on the Primitivo. Here's an excellent link to a fire map that came from the main site - click the "active fires" boxes: http://effis.jrc.ec.europa.eu/static/effis_current_situation/public/index.html

9. Mariane

Mariane New Member

I am scheduled to walk the Camino Portugues next week beginning on October 23rd, however am quite worried about the fires and inhaling smoke. Would it be best to cancel/postpone my trip? I am quite disappointed however I do not feel that the walking conditions would be pleasant. Does any know the current state of the trail?

Best,
    Mariane

10. Crepes4Suzette

I wish I could help you with something definitive, Mariane. From the sound of it, smoke in many areas has been diminished with the rain and firefighting. Last thing I heard was that there are still problems around Vigo, which is a bit west of the main route. The only thing I can suggest as someone not actually ON the Caminos at the moment is to use the Copernicus Emergency site link above (effis.jrc....) and click on the "burnt areas" option toward the bottom left. The main site also has a thread that a couple of people have contributed to in the last few days who are actually on the Camino right now https://www.caminodesantiago.me/community/threads/fires-impacting-on-camino.51286/

I don't participate on that site anymore, but it may be of some use to you. They have a link to a site in Spanish with current information if you are a Spanish speaker, although it might not be relevant to the Portuguese.

11. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

No fire activity in the Fisterre Muxia Way but the haze is probably from the residuals. Obviously NO boot or sock burning is allowed at all.

hindsfeet and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  12. Crepes4Suzette

Welcome home, Kim!

13. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

Not quite home yet. Came into Santiago area this morning to make my connections to get back to the US. Definitely a brown overcast mixed with the morning fog and I walked in Lavacolla for some time and my sinuses are definitely reacting. You can see where some places are clouds and some are still smoke on the move. Don't know actively it continues to burn however.

The Catalan issues are accelerating. Don't know what forms the discontent will take. Apparently the fire starters are anarchists who have done this fire stuff before. The Catalan issue is one of a fuller political reality. Barcelona might be a place to check into for folks going thru there.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  14. Jose

Jose Well-Known Member

Samos is NOT burned out. I have just come from there. There were some areas along the path from Tricastelo that had burned, but not a large area. Watch out for exaggerated reports. I saw some burned areas above Tricastelo and that with the areas at the beginning of the Samos path are ALL. We had a terrible day of smoke from Rabanal to Molinaseca. But that is gone now. They said it was the fires in Portugal. I saw nothing in Ponferrada. I am now in Portomarin. I think these reports are exaggerated, Kim. Are you finished with your Camino? I have four more days, god willing.

Greg Canning and hindsfeet like this.