1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time Camino Hiker...gps & Hospitales Questions

Discussion in 'Camino Primitivo or Original Way' started by Timothy Stark, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Timothy Stark

Timothy Stark Teacher and Hiker

Do any of you know if there are downloadable GPS waypoints for the Primitivo?
    I will be hiking next May (my first Camino!) over 14 days from Oviedo. I am hoping to use GPS as a backup in case the routing is not clear.
    Any help will be greatly appreciated...

Also,
    The company that has arranged the lodging and the luggage transport has set up my route to not do the Hospitales path. They are willing to set it up for me to do it, but they stated that it is too remote and strenuous for most people.
    I am 60 years old, but I am fit and have completed a number of long distance treks.
    What is your advice for me on the Hospitales route?

Tim

Laurie Ferris likes this.
  2. Timothy Stark

Here is one very quick and very kind reply that I already received:

Hi, Tim,

Welcome to the forum!

Wikiloc.com has a ton of Primitivo GPX tracks. Easy to download. However, and though you didn't ask :D... I can say confidently that you won't need a GPS on the Primitivo. I have walked it three times now, never with one. In fact, the last time I was on the Primitivo, I had my GPS with me, which I had used for the Camino del Ebro/Castellano-Aragonés/San Olav. On those solitary untravelled routes, I always recommend having one. I definitely would not have had fun without it. But I didn't even bother to load Primitivo tracks on it, so my little Garmin lay tucked in the bottom of my backpack for the rest of the camino.

And just another little bit of unsolicited information -- If you can add 4 or 5 days onto your walk, starting in León and walking the Camino del Salvador to Oviedo is a just breathtaking warm-up. I know no one who has ever regretted walking the Salvador! Buen camino, Laurie

Laurie Ferris and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. Timothy Stark

Hello,

Would everyone agree:

1. A GPS is not necessary.
    2. The Hospitales route is the best way to go...as long as the weather is not too bad.

Thanks in advance!
    Tim

4. Timothy Stark

Correction:
    My latest post should have been in a “question format”, that is I am asking all of you out there for YOUR opinion on the two items.
    I am merely the rookie asking for any and/all advice.
    Tim

5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

1. GPS not needed if you can a map and follow whatever arrows you can find.
    2. No idea, only walked the CF.

6. calowie

calowie Active Member

Tim

The primitivo is a lovely route. We did it in 2015 when we were 56, so if you are fit at 60 it should not be a problem. The Hospitales section is lovely if the weather is clear- not so much if the fog makes it difficult to see. If it is foggy I would suggest walking with others who will have stayed nearby just to make sure you do not get lost! But this section is no more physically demanding than many of the other sections of the primitivo. Enjoy!

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  7. Laurie Ferris

Laurie Ferris The Camino Provides

Home Page:
    Tim, I'll be following in your footsteps on the Primitivo in late May/early June. I heard it's a great route and that arrows and shell markers are plentiful.
    Buen Camino!