Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

First Time Pilgrim

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sarah Blotter, Jul 11, 2017.

1. Sarah Blotter

Sarah Blotter New Member

Hi everyone! I am planning on taking the Camino in the late summer/early fall of 2018. I was wishing for some advice for a first-timer! Also, how much the pilgrimage will cost, in general. The equipment I will need, things to look for, etc. Anything will help! Thanks so much!

Side note, can a minor (someone under the age of 18) complete the pilgrimage?

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hi Sarah - Let me start you out by sending you to the Caminoteca website and their cost calculator. This will give you a pretty good indication of your daily expenses.

Caminoteca Cost Calculator

In general, it's fairly easy to walk the Camino on 30€ a day. I budgeted 900€ last year for a 31 day Camino and came home with money in my pocket. From albergues to meals, there are a number of choices you will have which will ultimately determine how much you spend. There's another current thread on this very topic that you can easily access.

On the Forum, particularly in the archives, you will find a lot of threads regarding most of the question you have. Let me encourage you to spend some time reading a great deal of good information already posted. You'll find information on travel, accommodations, equipment, and many other things. Planning is an exciting part of getting ready for your Camino. Become a regular reader of this Forum for lots of good information and tips.

There is no age minimum for walking the Camino. You will find people from every age group as you walk and from every part of the world. Buen Camino!

3. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

Bit of advice to remember, even with all the planning and budgeting...remember to practice walking, with your loaded pack on! Seems many people miss this step, and may have issues later, like blisters or injuries. I know of a lot of pilgrims that walked many miles to prepare, but never wore their pack. Wearing a loaded pack changes your gait...and encourages you to pack lighter before you ever leave home!

4. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Sarah, my son (13-y old) walked the Camino with me last year, from Saint Jean to Finisterre and Muxia. So you can do it with no problem :)

Martin (Ozzy) Osborne likes this.
  5. Tom V

Tom V Member

Sarah,

Welcome and best of luck preparing for and finally taking what will be an adventure of you life. I walked from SJPP to Santiago in the Spring of 2015. My blog is at tomswalk.com with my notes along the Way. I'm doing a "refresher" this Fall. Something calling me back.

Buen Camino