1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time Primitivo: Two Questions

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Timothy Stark, Dec 4, 2017.

1. Timothy Stark

Timothy Stark Teacher and Hiker

Hello,

I am hiking the Primitivo next May (my first Camino!) and I need the advice of all the Camino folks on two matters:

1. Is the Primitivo way marked well or do I need to use a GPS unit with waypoints and daily routing?

2. Is the Hospitales Route the best way to go (assuming the weather is OK) as my luggage transport company stated that most of their hikers do not do the Hospitales Route?

(I am a fairly fit 60 year old with four long distance treks in my resume.)

Thanks in advance for any and all help or advice!

Tim

2. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Tim, I'd written you a response a few day ago, but have little add to those already on the main forum. Just didn't want to leave you with no response to your posts.

I'm not sure many of the more frequent contributors here have done the Primitivo other than Rob and Calowie. Rob (RJS) has his Camino blogs posted, and Calowie has also posted her blog specifically for the Primitivo - I hope she doesn't mind that I link it: https://carlosandmick.wordpress.com/ . ALL threads and blogs here and on the main site were very useful for planning. I researched it for a couple of years and went to do it - was sidelined that time in Madrid - but I can tell you a few things from the planning. I'm hoping to go back in the Spring for my 4th actual Camino to do it after some of the coastal paths on the Norte.

You can actually see the path on Google maps (satellite) - find the Alto de la Marta or Peurto del Palo and walk it back to Borres via the 2 "Hospitals" (old Camino structures that were once a pilgrim care place of some sort). They show up at the 500 and 200 meter views. That, of course, won't show you the level of difficulty, but many have given an idea of how difficult it is in their posts. There are some beautiful YouTubes by people who have done the Hospitales route.

If you are convinced you want to do the Hospitales route, you can evidently get a taxi from the Alto de la Marta if you make arrangements the day ahead via your lodging. That reduces the total Km for the day and avoids a very steep descent. You'll have to take provisions. Alaskadiver's blog of it from last year when she did it during a heat wave is really useful also (on the other forum). Undermanager on the other forum also did a good blog from last season. I personally would not want to miss the Hospitales route because I live in the mountains and am a mountain panorama junkie who hiked across the Napoleon during 146k winds the first time......because in a moment of bad reasoning, I decided I hadn't gone all the way to the Pyrenees to miss the views (NOT the brightest things I've done....). Therefore, if there were no extreme weather conditions, I wouldn't miss doing the Hospitales for anything and can well understand why you are trying to decide which route you'd rather take. Maybe have a look also at what people say about the need to make arrangements with a service? Happy planning, and I hope you let people know how your plans and your Camino are for you.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2017 at 1:19 AM
    UnkleHammy likes this.
  3. Timothy Stark

Timothy Stark Teacher and Hiker

Thank you for the detailed answers!
    You mention many of the Primitivo blogs, but I am having a bit of difficulty actually finding the blogs (other than the one you linked). As I am new to this forum, would you be so kind as to point me in the direction of where all these blogs that you referenced are?

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  4. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Surely. Glad to help. I also checked the Wikiloc options. There ARE Wikilocs for the Primitivo, but in expanding each of them, I don't see one that specifically goes up the Hospitales Route.

Here are some threads from this forum related to the Primitivo. The one from Calowie is above. Rob's: https://web.archive.org/web/20151120125413/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/c2/.
    Here's a link to the other Primitivo threads on this forum:
    http://www.caminodesantiago.org.uk/forums/camino-primitivo-or-original-way.34/

If you have an iPhone, Wise Pilgrim has a good app to download for the Primitivo. They also have a printable guide for the Primitivo, evidently: http://www.wisepilgrim.com/camino_primitivo_in_asturias

Gronze.com is great for albergues/lodging options, including links to Booking.com ones. There are places on most Caminos on Booking.com, but few on the Primitivo, in case you like to stay at nonalbergue places.

The Cicerone guide of the "Northern Caminos" is good, and includes the Primitivo. It's supposedly being updated, but other than newer albergues in the last few years, it's supposed to be accurate. I didn't like the maps in it, but I use maps.me and google.maps and wikiloc's app.
    https://www.amazon.com/Northern-Cam...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=15BR43EY2ZZBFE5T0HPQ

I'm having some reservations about linking others' threads from the other forum here because I don't know how people would feel about it. One of my posts from here was lifted and linked to that forum recently and it was uncomfortable to me to see it linked there. I don't participate on the main forum anymore and so can't get to some of the links, but this might help you search there for the Primitivo:

On it's main page, click the top left heading "Camino de Santiago Forum" and once there, scroll down a bit to the pink highlighted area on the left that says "Other Routes in Spain" - the threads are under Camino Primitivo, 5th down on the left. They take some sorting through.

I think you'll find that it's the most spectacular day on the Primitivo, although others would be able to tell you better.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017 at 12:16 AM
    UnkleHammy likes this.