1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Time: Trains and Hostel

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Nigel Paterson, Dec 31, 2012.

1. Nigel Paterson

Nigel Paterson New Member

Hi Everyone,
    I arrive at Biarritz at 3.10 on Wednesday 11 Sept 2013. When can I expect to arrive at SP via bus to Bayonne and train. Do I need to book a hostel?

2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    It's a little too soon to know the exact bus and train schedules. Here's the Oct '12 to Jun '13 bus schedule from Biarritz to Bayonne. Train schedules are available three months in advance at either the SNCF site (make sure to type in "Saint-Jean-Pied-de-Port") or through Rail Europe.

Probably in Sept it's best to book your room. Many choose the L'Espirit du Chemin, which does accept reservations. Buen camino!

3. Nigel Paterson

Nigel Paterson New Member

Thank you so much for the info; really useful. Nigel

4. vdavis

vdavis Member

We are thinking about renting a car in Madrid and driving it to Astorga. Do you know of anyone who has done this?

Verna, Judy and Victoria
    Camino - May 2013

5. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    I've never seen anyone do this and I'm not totally sure it's possible. Have you found a car rental company that will do a one-way rental from Madrid to Astorga? I did a brief web search and couldn't make it work on various car rental websites. You've probably already investigated the train -- it's only €38 which I'd guess would be a lot less than a car rental. It's a little early to get the schedule, but the trip is usually about 5 hours and trains leave from Chamartin Station in Madrid a couple of times each day. Also buses are available directly from the Madrid airport terminal 4 to Astorga at €25-35.

If you're set on a car rental (and don't already have an arrangement made) you might have better luck dropping it in Leon rather than Astorga. From Leon you can catch the bus to Astorga and arrive in under an hour for just €3.80 with many departures each day. For buses go to www.alsa.es. Buen camino!

6. vdavis

vdavis Member

Thank you!!!!

7. BlackDog

BlackDog Member

Highly recommended, just don't leave your booking too late as it gets full very quickly.