Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

From Lisbon Sept 2017 - Anyone?

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by SimLin, Jan 8, 2017.

1. SimLin

SimLin Active Member

I am interested in finding out who will be walking the Portugues Route in the Fall 2017.
    Starting to get myself geared up.
    I have walked the Frances and am thinking of this one.
    I like that is it completely different.
    Let me know...thanks!

Devon Mike and danvo like this.
  2. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

3. Jopoke

Jopoke New Member

4. Jopoke

Jopoke New Member

We did this May 16. After learning we couldn't get any accommodation in the second town we decided to get some of our accommodation booked via the Internet. It can be a long day after 30 k and then being stranded with no where to stay. Luckily for us a local found us and put us up for the night. That's when you realise how lovely people are. Enjoy.

Crepes4Suzette, SimLin and Wily like this.
  5. SimLin

SimLin Active Member

Thank you very much for the head's up...I will take this into consideration for sure!

Wily likes this.
  6. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey SimLin - I happen to be in the camp of pilgrims who, for a number of reasons, like to have albergue reservations. On the Francés last year, I had my bed reserved at most of the places I stayed. I head to Porto late March this year and have already reserved a number of my albergues through simple emails to them requesting beds. I know it's early in the season, but as I know where I want to stop every day, my accomodations are now secured. I certainly recognize that there are different philosophies regarding reserving or not reserving, but for me, knowing where I'm staying after a long day of hiking, without having to look around for a place, allows me to go at my pace without worring about full albergues when I reach my destination.

Crepes4Suzette and SimLin like this.
  7. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Hi Simlin,

Having walked the whole Camino Frances each year for the last 3 years including walking to Finisterre, Muxia and walking back to SdC, this year I am planning something different.

As usual I will take the ferry from Plymouth in the UK to Santander, but instead of then taking the bus to San Sebastian and Bayonne to get to SJPP, I will be taking the bus to Oviedo and walking the Primitivo to SdC. I will then travel down to Lisbon and walk the Portuguese back to SdC. Finally I will take the bus to Ferrol and walk the Ingles back to SdC then a bus back to Santander to get home.

My journeys on the Frances in 2014, 2015 and 2016 were all in May/June but this year I will be walking in September/October. I should be in Lisbon to start the Portuguese on the 12th September give or take a day or two.

So when are you planning to start?

Mike

8. SimLin

SimLin Active Member

I hear you. On the Frances last year, after Zubiri where there were no beds to be had, I also pre-booked for the next day at super time everyday. Worked like a charm and I was pleased with how stress free it was.

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  9. SimLin

SimLin Active Member

I am seriously considering walking the Camino Frances again in the Fall - Sept 1st start. While investigating the Portugues route, I kept picking up my Frances Brierley and couldn't/cannot shake the yearning to walk the same camino but different season. So for now, I am undecided. haha

Your plan for the Fall sounds really interesting... Buen Camino!!

Devon Mike and Wily like this.
  10. alanhobo

alanhobo Member

Hi, SimLin, I am planning to walk from Lisbon to Santiago in spring 2018, if you are starting from Lisbon are you doing a blog ? would love to know how you get on,
    good luck

SimLin likes this.
  11. SimLin

SimLin Active Member

If I do walk the Portugues, because now thinking of re-walking the Frances, I have a Facebook page dedicated to my walks. Stay tuned and enjoy the process of preparing!

Wily likes this.
  12. Wily

Hey SimLin - I had the same dilemma, the Francés or a different route. Ultimately, I decided upon the Portugués since it was a road that I had not yet traveled. On the other hand, walking the Francés in a different season would be something to look for. So, I'm looking forward to two shorter Caminos this year. Porto to Santiago in April and later walking the Aragones from Lescar in September. Whether you retrace your steps or choose a new path, it's all quite marvelous. Buen Camino!

SimLin likes this.
  13. SimLin

SimLin Active Member

Thanks Wily, my pull to re-walk is the familiarity. I feel like so much of the time and excitement was the unknown last year and now, I feel a great excitement of knowing the route which I believe will allow me to relax a lot more and also see a lot more.
    I just looked up the Aragones route and it looks quite interesting!
    Buen Camino!

Wily likes this.
  14. Wily

Hey Lin - I, too, plan on rewalking the Francés. Next time, however, at a slower pace. Doing the Camino in just 31 days was a bit fast for my liking. There are so many sections, actually the entire Way, that I'd like to do at a more leisurely pace the second time around. My advice to anyone planning their first Camino would be to build enough time into their plans so as to not rush to Santiago. Buen Camino!

SimLin likes this.
  15. SimLin

SimLin Active Member

Haha - exactly... let's go!

16. stevelm1

stevelm1 The Happy Peregrino Donating Member

Home Page:
    You are exactly one year ahead of me. I plan to walk the CP in Sep/Oct of 2018. And yes I will be taking a slower pace than my first Camino.

SimLin likes this.
  17. raymond john

raymond john Well-Known Member

Hi Devon Mike
    It's good to hear from you again. It appears you are planning to walk an adventurous camino this year. I walked the Portuguese Camino last year along the coastal route which was very quiet compared to the central route. If you have the time take a detour and walk the Spiritual variant of Portuguese Way which travels through churches and chapels, manors, cruises, granaries, water mills…, Pedra and Auga. It Commences in Pontevedra goes eastwards to the coast and rejoins the central way at Padron. A Robert dutch camino friend walked it last year and said it was a magnificent. If you are interested there is all write up /description on Beciclon.com. Spiritual variations on Google. It is also so showed in the John Brierley guide book of the Portuguese way , but it is only a dotted route with no explanations
    Once again its good to have you back on the forum I always enjoy reading your posts .

Capre Diem

Raymond John

18. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Hi Raymond John,

Many thanks for the information. I am planning to walk the coastal route, and the historic and spiritual places would be great to include. I have around 30 days to get from Lisbon to SdC. Always good to try something different.

All the very best,

Mike

SimLin and Wily like this.
  19. traveldipper

traveldipper Member

Try picking up the Portuguese Guide by the same Author! :)
    I'm thinking of the Portuguese Way on the 1st of the same month, because I was told I'd be alone on the VDLP shock, horror. As I like company, I'm hoping to persuade JB to create a guide book of the VDLP then it will become popular too! In the meantime did you know that many people choose the 1st of the month, any month and you are more likely to meet people as a result! Happy planning!

SimLin and UnkleHammy like this.