Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Fueling Before, During And After A Day On The Camino

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by William franks, Apr 25, 2016.

1. William franks

William franks New Member

I started walking two weeks ago for a May 13 start from SJPdP. Yesterday I walked with a friend with packs a very difficult 13 miles which had an 800 incline in a half mile. He had been training and getting ready for his Camino for six months but he bonked before we reached the top because he had no experience with how to fuel your body before and during a hard day on the trail. He also was unaware of what to eat or drink at the end of the day to speed recovery. I am life long runner and know what works for me. I have not seen much discussion on this forum about nutrition and fueling your body for hard physical days on the trail. For those who are new to day after day of physical effort, I highly recommend reading up on what you should consume to get through the day. My friend was fine after some rest and an energy bar but my advice to him was never pass a fruit stand without buying a piece of fruit.

2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

My wife and I are not uber runners / hikers, but were both in good physical shape when we hiked Camino Frances last October. With the exception of our first day hiking the ruta Napoleon, one litre of water was sufficient to keep us well hydrated, particularly considering that there are water fountains to refill your bottles in most towns.

In terms of "trail snacks", each afternoon after we completed the day's hike, we went to the local store or market and purchased apples, bananas, olives, cheese, and/or nuts for the next day. Most days we hiked six or seven hours. So we walked awhile, took a banana snack, walked further and took an apple snack, walked further and took an olive snack, etc. Not only did this routine keep us hydrated and energized, it had the side benefit of aiding our digestion to "keep us regular".

3. YorkieUltraRunner

YorkieUltraRunner Ultra Runner

Normally I run a Marathon on a tiny amount of water and a couple of Cliffs shot blocs, but wont be able to carry them on Camino and so it will be banana and water for slow release and try and get some electrolytes in, nothing worse than getting hydration/fuel wrong

UnkleHammy and Gerry Vandermaat like this.
  4. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

That is a good daily routine. As you said there are plenty of places at reasonable distances to refill water bottles with just one or two exceptions. On the Route Napoleon keep the weight down as you can refill at Orisson, then get water at the white van just before Thibault's Cross and finally there is the Fontaine de Roland at the French/Spanish border.

5. YorkieUltraRunner

YorkieUltraRunner Ultra Runner

Mike, you are a walking and talking fountain of Camino knowledge :)

6. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander Well-Known Member

All this talk about fueling makes me hungry for the Pilgrim menu! Those were good meals, and wine!

7. Devon Mike

I've only walked it twice. ;)

Leaving in 18 days for my third Camino.

8. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Mike, Buen Camino for #3! I'm envious. Just curious to know if you are walking the same route (Camino Frances) or taking a different ruta to Santiago? My wife and I are planning our second camino in October, 2017 with my brother and his wife. We are walking the Ruta Frances again, but with some changes. We'll go for the less challenging walk to Roncesvalles (via Valcarlos) the first day and allow more days. After our second camino, maybe we'll consider Ruta Portugese, or Ruta Madrid. I saw that Magwood is hiking Ruta Norte, but based on what I've read, that can be expensive since many of the towns / cities are more tourist oriented.

Jackster and Vay Eniko like this.
  9. Devon Mike

Hi Bob,

I walk the Frances each time but different timescales and stay in different places, also meeting different people. I also walk to Finisterre and Muxia and back to Santiago.

I have a different plan for next year, but right now I can't wait to get going on this year's journey. :)

10. William franks

William franks New Member

Yes I intend to have trail snacks with me along the way and in the absence of gatorade which I rely on for running, I will be carrying electrolyte capsules. I like raisins for the sugar hit they give me.

YorkieUltraRunner likes this.
  11. Vay Eniko

Vay Eniko New Member

HEllo guys.I am strating my first Camino on 21-th of May.I think that's a good challenge for a 52 years
    old woman so I am interested to about fueling.I will take some electrolytes will plenty of magnesium,
    Potasium,zinc,calcium and glucose,some energy bars too.I hope I can buy some food in SJPDP before
    leaving considering that will be Sunday.Do you know something about?

12. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    G'day William and others
    My wife and I (in our mid fifties, Vay) walked the Camino Frances in April May last year. After reading all the advice above, I am surprised we survived each day. We had no idea how important this was. We winged it every day with a water bottle to share only to start the day. We planned to stop for breakfast about 4-5 km into the daily walk after getting up at 6am. We didn't carry any food - but we did get caught out between Carrion and Calzadilla as there was nothing on the Roman road. We walked past lots of small groups who had brought provisions and were enjoying a bite to eat along the way. Boy, were we hunger at the end of the day after walking in the rain all day - I started keeping a small snack (or a piece of fruit) in my pocket from then on.
    http://gerryv.edublogs.org/2015/05/04/day-21-carrion-de-los-condes-to-calzadilla-de-la-cueza-17-1km/
    Buen Camino to all on the trail:)

13. Fionna

Fionna Member

Would you consider doing a detailed blog, Mike, for us newbies in mind? Those little tips you 'do and forget'? I'm most worried about my knees as I had to cut short a walking holiday in Andalucia 4 days in due to a very long rocky descent after a long steep climb. Of course I had not trained for it. I will this time!

My trail fuel would, most likely, be something like almonds & fruit. Easy to carry protein. Happy to change with good advice.

Jackster likes this.
  14. Devon Mike

No blogging as I do not take a phone with me. I like to be disconnected from home and totally connected to the Camino. No phone, no wifi, no music, just a small camera and a notebook. On my first Camino in 2014 I did share my daily diary when I was back. I have attached a copy here.

Attached Files:

15. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Hi again, Eniko! Lots of people bought a banana the evening before in a tienda along the way and saved it for the morning for some Potassium and glucose starting out (the "desayuno incluido" is usually just toast and jam, but enough to get started until you get to "second breakfast" at some delightful place with fresh pastries or breakfast sandwiches, Spanish coffee and fresh orange juice). I DID buy some food in SJPP (which is a very good idea) at the small grocery at the lower end of the Rue de la Citadelle. I think they're open until at least 7:30 pm. They have plenty of fruit and energy bars there. I also bought 2 tins of "Basque Pate" because it sounded wonderful (but it was really horrid and I left the unopened one in Roncesvalles:0)).

Hope your training is going well in Romania - your go-date is coming up soon!!

16. Fionna

Fionna Member

That is a great account, Mike. I've printed it off so I can check each entry against the map. I particularly love that quotation by Kent Nerburn. How did you come across it?

"We need to travel. If we don't offer ourselves to the Unknown, our senses dull. Our world becomes small and we lose our sense of wonder. Mour eyes don't lift to the horizon; our ears don't hear the sound around us. The edge is off our experience and we pass our days in a routine that is both comfortable and limiting. We wake up one day and find we have lost our dreams in order to protect our days."

17. Devon Mike

Glad you like it Fionna. :)

Can't remember where I saw the Kent Nerburn quote. I read so much stuff!! :rolleyes:

Jackster likes this.
  18. Jackster

Jackster Member

Your account was a very inspirational read Mike, especially the epilogue :) It has made me feel a lot better as the nerves are building for a June 7 start. I too am determined to keep a journal of what I am hoping will be a most excellent adventure :). Thank you for sharing.

YorkieUltraRunner likes this.
  19. stewpot

stewpot New Member

Hi mike, Don't know how far you are on your latest journey but Buen camino

20. Dylan Price

Dylan Price Member

We tended to have some snacks with us - nuts and raisins, chocolate etc. For breakfast we generally had a café con leche :) and whatever was on offer - sometimes one of the small cakes they have or a croissant. The about 10 we would stop for second breakfast (we felt very much like hobbits in that regard) which was normally another coffee and a tortilla/Spanish omelette to give you the protein boost. Lunches were normally salami and bread with cheese on the trail. Water was a constant and we normally drank at least 2 litres of water a day or more depending on the terrain/heat.

Dinners mostly pilgrim meals or simple meals ourselves (pasta etc) and certainly the pilgrim meals keep you going with a good mix of carbs, protein and dairy.

And of course wine (and beer - horray for San Miguel!) was always nice to relax with in the evenings.

UnkleHammy and Sallyann50 like this.
  21. Kim Federici

Kim Federici Active Member

I think I am going to program your snack plan into my route...really like that one a whole bunch...

hindsfeet likes this.
  22. Omar504

Omar504 New Member

I don't know what "bonked" means in the virgin islands but I'm dure a lot of us English-speaking forum members had a good laugh.
    As for eating..i have lunch and that's it