1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting a Pilgrim Passport in Porto

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Anso, May 20, 2011.

1. Anso

Anso New Member

Good morning all, with the somewhat ever increasing pilgrim traffic on the French route, I'm thinking about starting from Porto, my guide book tells me that I can get a Pilgrim Passport from the Cathedral in Porto.

Has any of the more experienced members done this, is there any potential problems in getting a pilgrim passport that way or should I get one via mail from The Confraternity of Saint James?

I would also welcome any advise and tips specific to the Portuguese route, thanks everyone.

2. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Anso,

There is no problem getting a passport at the Church. We got them there last year at a cost of lass than €1.
    I can highly recommend the beach route out of Porto. It is difficult to get directions,as most take a bus out of the city to start the walk. If you go to the river, then follow it's path to the sea you will cross a bridge that will bring you to the beach walk. It is beautiful board walk all day long, with only one section actually on the beach itself. Be very careful on day two, as you start out on a very busy and dangerous narrow road section. I had an experience here last year when a passenger in a car tried to catch my rucksack and pull me out into the traffic. After day two, it is plain sailing. There is only one climb before you leave Portugal. Overall, I found it more enjoyable walking than the French Route but containing the same flavoursome mixture of good food and fun-and wine.

Enjoy,

Sean
    Dublin

3. Anso

Anso New Member

Thanks Sean that’s really helpful, sorry to hear about the fools in the car, I guess there are idiots everywhere in the world. Coming from an island I do enjoy the sea and the beach route does sound good to me.

It’s a long story but the full French Camino was on the cards but fell through, due to work issues. I have since clawed together 16 days in total which is to include travelling from Jersey. I was considering a trimmed down French route from Villafranca del Bierzowith Muxia and Finisterre to finish for my first Camino.

However I want my Camino to be a positive experience and on the French route having to rush out at 5am just to ensure I have a bed the next night, adding to that, the natural and understandable friction created with alarm clocks, torches etc in the early am. My point is I’m creating this break to have some time away from the rat race, and to also give myself the chance to make some new friends.

So my alternative is I go via Porto I hope to have enough time to go onto Muxia and Finisterre as I initially planned on the French route.

While I expect the Portuguese route may reduce/remove the headlong dash for a bed in the next town. However I’m not looking for a solo adventure, I want to meet people and not spend days alone on the path. Just how busy should I expect the Portuguese route to be in early September 2011?

4. Teaccam

Teaccam New Member

Hello ,
    Just wondering could you share your thoughts on the Porto to Santiago route. We are considering it for September.
    Thanks

5. davelabello

davelabello New Member

Hi everyone, not really sure how to post new threads so just tacking on here, sorry if it is off track. I wanted to know if pilgrims passports could be collected in Le puy en Velay or is it just closer to the border that you will get them? Thanks

6. Anso

Anso New Member

Hi Dave

looks like there's a sizeable cathedral in Le Puy, I assume you should be able to pick one up there, I also found this page:

http://www.backpack45.com/camino2p3.html

Which mentions, "the cathedral in Le Puy where you can also get your pilgrim credential. We got our credential at the Friends of the Camino office behind the cathedral"

However as this thread is under the Portuguese route, it would be best if replies went on "Le Puy en Velay to Santiago de Compostela" thread where you have also posted. It will just make it easier for others who have the same question to find that information.

That’s some trek your going for Dave, I take my hat off to you. Good luck buddy.

7. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Anso,
    When we walked last year, the route was not overly busy. We moved within a group of no more than 30 walkers.
    As you know, last year was a Holy Year and I had expected it to be busy. I would think this route never reaches the fever pitch that the French Way does. Another great bonus of walking in September is the variety of fruit, grapes and berries growing along the path. Pick them quickly-before someone turns them into wine.

Regards,

Sean
    Dublin

8. davelabello

davelabello New Member

Thanks buddy, Keep your hat on til i hit the beach! One things to say it and the other to do it. i am at least as stuborn as my donkey though, so i think it will come down to cold hard cash. We'll see and i will let you know over the next few months

9. Anso

Anso New Member

Does the Donkey come with instructinons ...
    johnnyautomaticmancarriesdonkey.jpg
    Good Luck Dave!

10. zenb

zenb Member

I haven't done the route yet, but i've read it's quite simple to get one from the Cathedral. Just head to the front desk at west entrance, and pay 1Euro. Then you're set :)

11. Atlantic

Atlantic New Member

Yes, in the cathedral there is a desk. 50 cents I was asked, so I took three. And I'm on my last one.

12. Moira

Moira New Member

Does anyone know if the cathedral sells passports in Porto on Sundays?

13. sean

sean Active Member

Hi Moira,

The cathedral is open every day but does close for lunch. It opens again at around 2;30pm. Enjoy your Camino. It is a beautiful walk and not too difficult. Best times to go are early Spring and early Autumn.

Regards,
    Sean,
    Dublin