1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting Excited....

Discussion in 'The Camino Portugues' started by Canadian Wander, Jun 16, 2018.

1. Canadian Wander

Canadian Wander When in doubt, rack out...

Ok, still lots of time between now and start time...but I am getting pretty excited. Our last Camino was The CF in Sept/October 2015, and I am more than ready to get out the door again. Flight booked, first night in Porto booked...ruck is packed...can't wait!
    sept 3 here I come!
    Yes, my wife us both the brains of this organization and the reasonable one.

Corry, Melissa, Arnie823 and 2 others like this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I don’t know whether you saw, but there have been some recent comments on The Camino Portuguese that you might be interested on at http://www.caminodesantiago.org.uk/threads/camino-portugues-from-lisbon.7876/#post-51676

These being with regard to the cobblestoned sections of the “Way” and how rough these can be on your feet.

I don’t really have any major insights on what to do about this other than to maybe do some training walks on similar surfaces to make sure your feet are hardened up and perhaps ?? try some gel filled insoles (Or similar) to try to cut down the impact.

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Melissa and Canadian Wander like this.
  3. Ryedalerambler

Ryedalerambler Active Member

Yes indeed Rob, gel insoles could be the answer. I normally use Superfeet green insoles and have never had foot problems before, but by the time I reached Porto my soles were feeling rather tender so I replaced the Superfeet with a pair of "Aptonia Walk 500" gel insoles (6 euros from Decathlon, so rather cheaper than Scholls from the pharmacy) and I think these helped a little.

Canadian Wander, danvo and RJS like this.
  4. Canadian Wander

Thanks for the advice, I am making plans. Another really good reason to travel light!

5. BenL

BenL The Burghers of Calais

Home Page:
    We walked CP from Porto in May 2018. At the last minute before departure, we decided to switch from hiking shoes to our usual street walking shoes to save some ounces from our feet. For me, the switch was not an issue. For my wife, in hindsight, she should have walked with her Hoka One hiking shoes. There's no doubt that a STURDIER SOLE would have handled the cobblestoned paths better. In addition, her Hoka One was a size larger whereas her walking shoes was the perfect fit (so, as her foot swelled, her toes started touching the insides). The UPSIDE was that our street walking shoes were wearable post Camino to many places without being out of place.

BUT, neither of us developed any blister per se (I had initial signs of one developing at the end of one day due to laziness in applying Foot Glide). Needless to say, we diligently applied Foot Glide every day after that experience, wore double lined Wright Socks, and we never developed any blisters throughout our walk.

Many tend to take a bus/metro to Matosinhos to start the walk, Based on a tip, we started the walk from Porto river front in the early morning. As a result of the overcast day, here's the riverfront scenery. DSCF0886.JPG The downside was that it was a VERY LONG day on Day 1 of our walk.

6. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Ben - Nice pic of the Río Douro that morning! As we had to pick up our Credencial at the cathedral (opens at 9 am) the morning we left, our late start required that we jump on the #55 bus downtown and follow the river to the coast and then up to Matosinhos. Still, we were walking by 10 am or so which allowed us to reach Vila do Conde by mid-afternoon just before the rain came. Enjoying the sunny day along the boardwalk, the walk of 22 km was just right for our first day on the Portugués.

Your point about the cobbles and your wife's problem is so reminiscent of our walk. The right shoes, good socks, and BodyGlide are a must! This past spring, my wife switched to Moabs with Superfeet (green) insoles. I know it’s comparing apples to oranges since we weren’t walking the cobblestones this year, but she had no foot or knee problems. In part, the insoles, which I’ve been wearing for a couple of years now, made a big difference and made for a much more enjoyable Camino. Bom Caminho!

7. Corry

Corry New Member

We are also super excited and making our plans! flights booked, date set, reading and starting our training soon. Reading up on equipment required Sleeping bags? Thinking about clothing for March 2019, may still be quite cool, will it be warm and dry in Alburghs?
    Route planning from Porto to Santiago, mainly just excitement at the moment and so looking forward to the experience.

It is wonderful to read about ppl’s experiences and free advice given, the camino spirit is awesome! Just under 9 months still until we leave. I will just keep reading and learning.

Bon camino everyone!
    cheers from Corry

Canadian Wander and Wily like this.
  8. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Corry - Hiking in March, we’ve had both warm weather and we’ve had chilly, wet weather. On all of my Caminos, I’ve carried a sleeping bag with me. There have been times these last two Marches where I was very happy to have my bag with me. All you will need is a one-season bag for nights when it is less than comfortable or in albergues where blankets aren’t provided. Regarding the availability of blankets, I’ve found this to be mixed and not predictable. Some places have them, others don’t. Since you’re hiking in March, I’d recommend finding a light weight bag that won’t add much weight to your kit. For example, mine weighs just over a pound and seems minimal to carry (I’ve been able to keep my entire load down to under 6 kg). If you do use a luggage transfer service, it’s really no issue at all since it’s not extra weight that you’ll be carrying. But, if you do plan to do any amount of hiking with your packs, keep your load light!

Again, let me direct to my Portugués blog where I have an entry on what clothing and gear I took. You won’t need much, but you do want to prepare for chilly, wet weather if you run into it. Two years ago, we walked the Portugués in primarily dry sunny weather. But, this past March in Galicia, we walked in rain almost every day. Best advice, hope for clear skies, but prepare for rain. Bom Caminho!

Canadian Wander and Corry like this.
  9. Canadian Wander

the blog really does give a great insight into the Camino!

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.