1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting to St Jean from San Sebastian?

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by hodgmc02, Jul 9, 2008.

1. hodgmc02

hodgmc02 New Member

Does anyone know if there is a reliable bus or train from San Sebastian to St. Jean? We're flying into Madrid and want to visit San Sebastian a day or two before starting the Camino, but want to make sure it's fairly easy to get to St Jean from there.

2. larryphd

larryphd New Member

how did you go?

We ae going to do the same route as you....what bus or train did you take from San Sebastian?
    Larry

3. hodgmc02

hodgmc02 New Member

Hi Larry - We actually haven't gone yet. We will be there in April 2009. If you figure out the bus in San Sebastian before then, please let me know. I'll do the same if your trip is after April.

Thanks,
    Mary Claire

4. Dan Elliott

Dan Elliott New Member

Home Page:
    Buses/trains

There is an early morning bus out of Bilbao that goes to the border of France where you can get a train to Bayonne straight away. Then the local to St. Jean which gets in early afternoon--perfect timing. This is all covered in Brierley. Bilbao is wonderful and worth a day or two stay.

5. geraldkelly

geraldkelly Member

Home Page:
    Hi

This might be too late for you! But, anyway. The suburban train service in San Sebastian which leaves from a station south of the bus station goes to Hendaye which is just over the border in France. It's called the Euskotren. It runs every 15 minutes or so. From there you can get a train to Bayonne and onward to SJPP.

Gerald

6. anaon

anaon New Member

I will be getting the ferry to San Sebastián from Plymouth so appreciate the info for getting to St Jean from there. I am arriving in SS about 6th May. If there is any further info before then I will be grateful. If I discover anything by then will update this query accordingly. Thanks in advance.

7. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Hi Judi.

There is no ferry direct to San Sebastian. The ferry from Plymouth is to Santander every Sunday. You then need a bus from Santander to San Sebastian, an overnight stop in SS then another bus to Bayonne for the train to SJPP.

I will be on the ferry which leaves Plymouth at 15.45 on 10th May and arrives in Santander at 12.15 on 11th May.

The bus leaves Santander at 17.00 and arrives in San Sebastian at 19.40. I have booked a bed in SS for the night.

On 12th May the bus leaves San Sebastian at 12.15 and arrives in Bayonne at 13.30. The train leaves Bayonne at 14.55 and arrives in SJPP at 16.13.

If you are on the same ferry I will see you at Plymouth Ferryport. If you are on the ferry the week before you will find the timetable should be the same.

Mike

8. anaon

anaon New Member

Hi Mike
    I am booked on the ferry to Santander on Sunday the 10th May. Thank you so much for the ifo. Could I ask what site you used for the busses and trains etc?

Look forward to meeting.
    Judi

9. Devon Mike

Hi Judi

I am on the same ferry so look forward to meeting up. I get bus info from www.alsa.es/en

I will be taking a bus from Santander to San Sebastian on arrival on the 11th, and have booked a bed there. On the 12th I get another bus from San Sebastian to Bayonne then finally the train to SJPP ready to start walking on the 13th.

All the best
    Mike

10. ThomasV

ThomasV Camino Bound September 2016

Home Page:
    Greetings All and Hi Mike,
    Was the bus you got from San Sebastián to Bayonne an ALSA bus? I can seem to find that route on their schedule. We will be starting early September and would like to visit San Sebastián before our Camino.

11. Randy Dickow

Randy Dickow Donating Member Donating Member

The schedule I have for September 7th arrival in San Sebastian is the local Euskotren to Hendaye (very frequent, like every 15 mins) then from Hendaye to Bayonne then on to SJPdP. I don't arrive in San Sebastian until 1650 so i don't get to SJPdP until 2208. The latter is on the SNCF French train line.

12. Devon Mike

You will find the timetable on http://www.alsa.es/en but you need to go to the international options as you are travelling from Spain to France. Go to the OUR DESTINATIONS button at the top of the page and select France, then you will find the timetable and prices.

13. ThomasV

ThomasV Camino Bound September 2016

Home Page:
    Thanks Mike...will do!