1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting To St Jean From The Western Us

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by HuskyNerd, Apr 26, 2012.

1. MiriaBD

MiriaBD New Member

You are always so helpful. Thanks in advance, for everything you do. I've tried to make reservaciones Madrid - Pamplona and Santiago de Compostela - Madrid, I will fly from Atlanta, GA to Madrid, and return from Madrid to Atl. and no luck using Renfe. Gracias Martha

2. HuskyNerd

HuskyNerd Super Moderator

Home Page:
    Give a try to the www.raileurope.com website and see if you can reserve there. I'm not sure your dates or if this is the problem you're having, but Renfe doesn't take reservations more than 60 days out.

3. MiriaBD

MiriaBD New Member

Well, that must be the reason why I can not book, I will be in Madrid at 8:30 am in June 8, I will try again next week. I dont think I will need to do reservacion from Lizarra - Sarria in advance, I would like to walk Pamplona - Lizarra, I have special interes to stop in Puente de Reina. I dont have much time, only 9 days. I hope my dialy average is 25/30 k walk.
    Thanks again Martha

4. tonytoca

tonytoca New Member

HuskyNerd,
    Given your druthers, bus or train from Madrid to Pamplona? Is the price difference so great to make one preferable? Is one more comfortable, or offer better scenery? My initial thought is that I'd prefer the train, but I'm sure there are considerations to make for each. Just to give a little background, I am an experienced hiker and my scheduled flights are into Madrid May 7 and home to the States on July 4, the point being that I have plenty of time once I'm on the ground. I want to enjoy my time, not just rush from spot to spot. I'm a huge fan of the Forum and any insight would be very much appreciated. Thank you.

5. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    Hi TonyToca ~
    I have strong druthers for train rather than bus, even though there's direct bus service from T4 Terminal at Madrid Barajas. The primary reason is that the train is about 3 hours faster, and usually about the same cost or cheaper. There's a fairly easy transfer via subway from the airport to the Atocha station, and if you're flying from off the continent it's nice to have a break from being stuck in a seat with little room to move around. A train connection to Pamplona allows you to stretch your legs in the subway transfer, and then being on the train allows you to move around as you travel -- which is a huge plus after 10-15 hours on a transcontinental flight. Another bonus is that if you have time you can get a hotel in the Atocha neighborhood and spend a day just enjoying the world class museums (the Prado and Reina Sofia) in that neighborhood, as well as the Plaza Mayor that's a short walk away. My choice is def the train.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  6. tonytoca

tonytoca New Member

HuskyNerd,
    Thanks for your time and quick reply- train it is!
    Tyler

7. Bkelley22

Bkelley22 Guest

What's the best way to get from Barcelona to SJPP? I tried to look for a trian ticket from Barcelona to Bayonne and the route was not found. Would it be best to go to Pomplona and take the bus from there? If so, how could I find out the bus schedule and where would I catch the bus?

8. HuskyNerd

Home Page:
    The train works ok. You will need to transfer from the Spanish to the French system at Irun/Hendaye. From there you can get on to Bayonne.

9. dt93103

dt93103 New Member

Coming from California, my wife and I are flying Norwegian Air from LAX to London Gatwick; then we fly EasyJet from Gatwick to Biarritz. At the end, we fly EasyJet from Santiago back to Gatwick and then back to LAX on Norwegian. This seems like the easiest and most direct way for us and Norwegian flies from other US cities to Gatwick.

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Beth likes this.
  10. Janescott

Janescott New Member

Hi does anyone have advice on traveling back to Paris from
    Santiago? I would prefer the train but cost is important.

11. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Jane

One of the most interesting ends to my own Camino’s was when I travelled back on the FEVE narrow gauge coastal railway from Ferrol to Bilbao – So If time isn’t an issue you could do this and then catch a cheap flight back from Bilbao to Paris with http://www.vueling.com

There are regular busses from Santiago to Ferrol and from there we caught the train, first to Oviedo and had an overnight there before proceeding on to Bilbao – The scenery is Stunning and the journey is quite inexpensive

If you are short on time then the same airline also does reasonably priced flights to Paris from Santiago as well as several other Spanish airports

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

12. Janescott

Janescott New Member

thanks for the advice will certainly look at this.

13. Janescott

Janescott New Member

I have bought my rail ticket to Bayonne from CDG on the morning train, but now have to find accommodation for one night before catching the train. Is it necessary to stay near CDG or can I get on the train further down the line, where accommodation is more plentiful and cheaper. any recommendations on accommodation / hostels? thanks for any advice in advance!

14. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Is it a direct train from CDG?

I caught the train in Paris to Bayonne, perhaps check which station in Paris it leaves from. From memory I think it is South.

15. Janescott

Janescott New Member

16. Janescott

Janescott New Member

Yes it is a direct train from CDG. Am
    Really battling with this decision as to whether to say at airport or go in to Paris, which is a double fair then from CDG to Paris.

17. Oregon's Mark

Oregon's Mark New Member

You can catch a bus from the Madrid Airport, thru Pamplona, to SJPP, arriving around 7:00PM. Last May, I met a great group from a community college in N. Carolina, while on the bus. They became my first "Camino family". I think we left Madrid between 10 and 11AM. Nice start. Cheap and relatively easy way to get to SJPP. I plan to repeat this coming May....

18. Oregon's Mark

Oregon's Mark New Member

I arrived from Portland, OR, early AM. My preference was to take the train to SJPP. I couldn't figure out how to get there the same day. As I wanted to maximize my time on the Camino, I bused from the airport to SJPP, arriving in time for a communal dinner at my albergue. It was perfect. Madrid is a great city, but not the purpose of my trip. On my return trip, this May, I plan to do the same.
    On this forum, I read that an overnight train, back to Madrid, is a good option. I will explore that.
    Buen Camino. It is an amazing experience.

19. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I flew to Madrid and then to Biarritz. I used a taxi to get to Bayonne thdn train to Saint Jean. It all worked out quite smoothly.