1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting To St Jean Pied De Port

Discussion in 'Traveling to and from the Camino' started by Crazy Dave, Dec 5, 2017 at 8:59 PM.

1. Crazy Dave

Crazy Dave New Member

Has anybody had the same problem? The only flight from Stanstead to Biarritz gets there at 17.40 to late for the last train. Only thing I have been able to do is book a night at a cheap hotel near the airport for the night and then walk to the station to catch a train to St Jean the following afternoon. Then it's a night in a hotel before setting off on the 23rd March. Suppose this is all part of the adventure!

2. Ryedalerambler

Ryedalerambler Active Member

Try http://www.expressbourricot.com/. Good service, reasonably priced, but you need to book in advance. I'm sure they will be picking up others in March. (Cost per person decreases as the bus is filled)

3. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

On my first C.F. I stayed in a cheep hotel in Bayonne. The second time I tried to use Express Bourricot and missed the ride. Fortunately I had enough time to take a taxi to Bayonne and catch the train. Both times getting to Saint Jean worked out great. Having a few emergency euros solved many problems.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2017 at 1:01 AM
  4. David Fletcher

David Fletcher Member

When I walked in 2015, I took the train to Biarritz from Paris, met up with a fellow that I had found on a message board, found two others, and cabbed it from Biarritz to St Jean PdP. It was 25 Euro per person. Well worth it since it didn't depend on schedules. But the only reason I did that is that the Shuttle referred to in another post was unavailable!

David in Nova Scotia

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  5. Gerry Vandermaat

Gerry Vandermaat Donating Member Donating Member

Home Page:
    We made an adventure of our trip to St JPdP from Sydney Australia.
    1. Plane to Madrid (stayed 4 days)
    2. Train to Biarritz (stayed o/n)
    3. Bus to Bayonne (had a lovely walk around town in the morning)
    4. Bus to St JPdP in the mid afternoon (the train was out of action at the time)
    5. Walk to Santiago :)

UnkleHammy likes this.