1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gites D'etape On The Le Puy

Discussion in 'Le Puy en Velay to Santiago de Compostela' started by Crepes4Suzette, Jan 17, 2018.

1. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Hi everyone - It looks like the Chambres d'Hotes and and the Gites that have dinners need reservations a day or two ahead of time, but does anyone know if it's necessary to reserve ahead for the many Gites d'Etape that DON'T do meals? I'm thinking of getting to Conques before the first of the May holidays in France, so this would be during the last 2 weeks in April.

2. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

I don't know for certain but from what I have read, some of the gites have very few beds. I'll be aiming to reserve a spot a day or so ahead of time every day for our walk in France in April, even if they don't have dinners.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  3. Crepes4Suzette

Thanks, Michael. I guess I'll do the same.

4. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    We walked this in July 2012. We needed to book ahead every day apart from a couple of days where we stayed in albergues.

By the way - tough route, plan on walking less than you would on Camino Frances. Lots of steep gullies.

We took 10 days for Le Puy to Conques.

5. Crepes4Suzette

Thanks Leslie! I've counted on 10 days to Conques because, as you say, it does look really tough by the MMDD guides (and am starting in Monistrol d'Allier). I'm training all winter. Maybe I have my terms mixed up. I thought some of the gites-d'etape "communal" and "d'acceuil", often without evening meals, were like Spanish albergues. I was hoping that the no-food gites could be on a drop-in basis here and there - with calling ahead for the bigger places like Cahors - for just that reason (tough route) and since it will be early in the season.

I speak-read-write intermediate-ish French, so calling ahead isn't a problem, but I was hoping to avoid communal meals when possible. Although I've heard that people don't press talking about politics on the Le Puy, that was definitely NOT my experience on the Frances or the Portuguese these last two years. I guess I'll just politely tell people "je viens ici pour la paix de la marche, pas la politique" and hope for the best should it become a problem.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018
    Greg Canning likes this.
  6. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Hi

On the subject of politics, on both of my attempts at hiking the Camino the only political discussions I had, or eavesdropped on, involved Trump and/or Brexit. But then I only speak English.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2018
  7. Margareta Varenhed

Margareta Varenhed Member

I did the part from Le Puy en Velay to Cahors during 2-18 of June last year. The first weekend was the Pentecost and a bit crowded so booking ahead was necessary. Otherwise not much need. And I think June should be a bit more crowded than May.
    If you book ahead and change your mind, no big problem as long as you call them to cancel in good time - like before noon.
    I will go for the Cahors - SJPP part this year in May.
    Good luck to you Creps4Suzette ! Buon Camino!

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  8. Crepes4Suzette

Thanks so much, Margareta! That's good to know about canceling before noon if things change. The fact that you're going back to finish must mean you enjoyed it from Le Puy to Cahors. I've heard that it's beautiful. I wish you a very happy walk in May!

9. Margareta Varenhed

Margareta Varenhed Member

Thank you Creps4Suzette.
    Le Puy to Cahors was the nicest and most beautiful walking I ever did! Also the hardest, lots of mountains to climb but that means lots of nice views.
    I was told that the first part of Via Podiensis is the most beautiful, but I'm sure the rest will be satisfactory and I just love France (as well as Spain) - I did the Camino Frances, SJPP-Burgos in 2011 and Pamplona-Santiago in 2014 and will probably do it again.
    Wish you too a very happy walk!

Crepes4Suzette likes this.