1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gites On Arle To Somport Pass Route?

Discussion in 'Albergues - Hostels' started by howardd5, Sep 12, 2016.

1. howardd5

howardd5 Member

Next week i am starting my longest Camino yet , starting in France on the Arles route. Anyone have any advise on good Gites du Estepe(albergues) or the like. i'm looking at Oloron-st. marie or Bedous?? Darrell

2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Darrell - In researching starting the Camino Aragones next year in Oloron-Sainte-Marie, I only found reference to what appears to be the municipal alberge there, the Relais du Bastet which has 18-20 beds for 12.50€ a night. You may have already visited this website for information: http://www.jacajacobea.com/en/ficha_albergues.php?alb_id=37#/.
    Buen Camino!

3. Marion

Marion Marion

Home Page:
    Hi Howard!
    Not sure I understand where you're starting? Arles, Oloron... or else?

There are several accommodations in Oloron, but the Bastet is the one pilgrims go to. Then, lots of options to sleep before the Somport pass! Here are the main ones:
    - Sarrance, small shops (+22km after Oloron): accommodation at the monastery, reservation preferred (some of us didn't know about it and still had a bed), 6 place, 8€, kitchen/dinner with community, open in September, reception 2-5pm. Nice place to stay at.
    - Bedous, shops and services (+8km after Sarrance): gîte Le Mandragot, 10€, kitchen/dinner. Passed through and didn't stay, nice town.
    - Borce, bar-groceries (+14km after Bedous): gîte for pilgrims 13€, kitchen, at the entrance of the village AND gîte for hikers (other trails through the village) 13€, kitchen, common room. Stayed at the hiker's, realized there was the other, visited it: both nice.
    - Urbos, bar, shop, retaurant (+4km after Borce): last village before the Somport pass.
    - Somport (12km after Urbos): 2 accommodations, 1 in France before the steep slope up to the top, on your right along the road (12,50€, needs reservation, kitchen, no groceries) the other on the top refuge-bar-restaurant-shop (14€, dinner and breakfast possible, business style...)

Some considerations...
    - Passing the Somport is a tougher route than the one from St Jean Pied-de-Port to Roncevalles. I goes nicely up from Oloron to Urbos (not flat, of course, but only going up by ~600m in ~32km...), then UP from Urdos to the Somport (~850m up in ~11km -> 77%). In comparison, SJPdP-pass to Roncevalles is ~1280m up in 22km (-> 58%)
    - The Aspe Valley is quite narrow... you'll have to be on the road from time to time. It's ok most of the time, although be careful and aware of cars and of the many trucks that come from Spain. The worst part is from Borce to Urbos: you're on the road, mostly without any edge or security barrier. The "fun" thing is, cars and trucks hardly have enough place to pass each other. It is dangerous and officials advise you take a bus to skip Borce-Somport. If you chose to walk it, be very very very careful on that stretch and take your time. I'd very strongly advise you not to walk it by night or without a flashlight to signal your presence. I had mine even if it was in the morning and I was glad I had it. It's everyone choice, but I absolutely didn't regret I walk the whole way. Even if the Borce-Urdos part was a bit stressful.
    - I went to Somport in 3 stages: Oloron-Sarrance-Borce-Somport (22-22-15km). I started this Camino in Arles and thought it would have been harder on me to do it in only 2 stages...

Then, the Aragonese Way! Very nice, pretty flat after Jaca. Lots of accommodations... Here are the ones I stopped at:
    - Arres, 1 bar: managed by volunteers, donativo, shared dinner, open all year long, needs credential. Amazing place!!!
    - Ruesta, bar-restaurant: 10€, dinner/breakfast possible. Rehabilitated village: very interesting place to stay at!
    - Sangüesa, shops, bars, restaurants, services: 8€, kitchen, opens 2-10pm, needs credential
    - Monreal, shops, bars, restaurants: 6€, kitchen, needs credential

Then, Obanos, Puente la Reina and the Camino Frances again... Note that Eunate's albergue isn't open anymore (unless it has changed since last year?)

Buen Camino! :)

[​IMG]

4. howardd5

howardd5 Member

MS.Marion , thanks for the info & your enthusiasm. I know it's not " a piece of cake" it makes it a things to be done. I have been over the Napoleonic route 5 times with groups and want a little " high & wild" before meeting up in Pamplonia. We hardly ever regret the things we do -mostly regret the things we didn't do. THANKS AGAIN Darrell