1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good Map App For Hikers

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous Topics' started by Wily, Mar 18, 2019.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

I may be the last one to know about the Windy Maps App, but I’m very pleased to have found it. It’s an App specifically designed for hikers. If you examine the Spain maps, you’ll find most of the Caminos. For Spain, there are about 19 downloadable maps by region. The Caminos that I examined are clearly marked. The detail of the downloadable maps is great. Plenty of detail provided for getting through cities. For folks traveling with their iPhones or iPads, this is just another tool to accompany any online or print guides you might have with you. Not sure if there is an Android version or not. Maybe Unklehammy can check that out for us. Buen Camino!

2. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Wily, thanks for the tip. I downloaded the App and it looks interesting, but does not seem very intuitive. How do you navigate? I see you can input starting point and end point, but is there functionality that I can access or is the main output the map itself? I tried downloading a map of Navarra, but am not sure how to access it. Thanks for any further comments. Bob

Amy Brooks and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Bob - I’m not very technologically oriented, so I’m not sure my answer will answer your question. However, let me tell you what I just did. Like you, I downloaded the Navarra region onto my iPhone 7. I then put my phone into airplane mode so as not to be connected to wifi. When I then went to the map, Nararra pulled up immediately. You have to zoom in enough before you see the Camino. Once you do, the CF shows up as a blue line winding through the province. You can also see the route with regards to elevation since it shows it on a contour map. From the border, I followed it into Pamplona right to the albergue where I stayed. From there, I followed the route all the way through Navarra. If you go to Muruzabal, for example, you get a clear picture of how the alternate route comes in from the Camino Aragones. From what I’m looking at, you can see every twist and bend of the Camino. I apologize if this explanation isn’t what you were asking for. Buen Camino!

4. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Fantastic, Wily! The West Highland Way is all on there from the start in Milngavie (evidently pronounced Mull-guy.....glad to have found that out, or I'd not have gotten off the train from Glasgow in the right place!). It's a labeled black line (for when you and Nancy do the hike!).

Amy Brooks, Wily and UnkleHammy like this.
  5. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I loaded it on my Android tablet. It seems to work correctly. It took a couple of tries but I finally got Spain working. I tested it foe awhile here in Fresno before trying for Spain. I had the same blue line that @Wily had. The CF blue line tends to disappear in Pamplona but I found it again on leaving.

I was not able to find a scale for distances and I was unable to mark places with start/end points. Inside cities there is not the same bunch of detail which I see with Google maps. Where I checked the contour interval is 10 meters which is fine for giving an idea if where you your feet will take you.

I did a Google search looking for "windy maps". There are a couple of windy apps that tell you what the winds are like. This app appears to be an "offical" project from a group in Czechoslovakia and my version is dated 2017.

Over all it seems to be useful. I have a problem with most map apps in that I don't really care, in detail, where I am going, but I am quite interested in knowing where I have been. I like an app that will generate and save where I can find it, either a KML/KMZ or other standard file format . (Google "owns" the KML/KMZ formats and if the file is well formed then Google Earth can display it.)

I haven't tried it on my Android phone but only used the tablet.

6. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Thanks both for comments. Still not intuitive for a techno novice like me. No matter. I have Wise Pilgrim and Buen Camino apps on my iPhone. Plus Cindi and I have walked camino frances two times before. Shame on us if we get lost or need help finding our way to the next town. Six months from today, we'll be walking from Estella to San Sol ! Bob

Amy Brooks, UnkleHammy and Wily like this.