1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Good planning resource for choosing alburgues based on anticipated km per day

Discussion in 'Albergues - Hostels' started by Orava, Jan 18, 2015.

1. Orava

Orava Active Member

http://urcamino.com

I found this planning tool recently but noticed there were very few posts highlighting it on this forum. I has a good planning tool with which one can specfy budget restictions, ameinities wanted at alburgues plus anticipated km walked per day. Can generate a pdf list of suggested stops with handy icons of ameinities and costs etc. Covers the main caminos. There is also some other useful planning info inc equipment basics etc.

Orava

2. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

HI Orava

Just need to do a victor meldrew moment on the looking after your self part of the guide. not directed or intended towards you as you know

I have noticed that before,well Laid out and easy on the eye to navigate"accept the taking care of your self is very flawed", when it talks you through selecting footwear..silly really. going down hill you lace up another way as to going up hill to stop any toe movement, and its not a case of just buying an extra size.(wow even more movement for friction)it does not work like that, you need the full foot inspection and measurement along with sock selection and advice with inserts etc and so on as you know....the actual brand and type comes after measurement...the way it is laid out is suggesting blisters are a foregone conclusion...when you could have a blister free camino . on the go everyday for a month or so the feet could develop issues .....just Thought I would mention that.....the blister section advice is for each individual to make.....and medical experts state do not pop a blister unless it is large and painful. the fluid is there to protect...too may chiefs(moody medical experts) and not enough Indians(humble pilgrims) when it come to medical care on the camino.I have seen pilgrims sharing needles one after the other draining blisters on the beds........practice and planning before hand, buying cheaper ill fitting footwear is a false economy.Pharmacies love pilgrims. toe tap brought from a good outdoor store can also help with ongoing early signs of problems of toes rubbing. : early on the spot care dealing with any sign something is not right instead of waiting till later.......when someone looks up at me with sad dog eyes and says "I have a blister and has not bothered to prep before hand" I walk away(its needless and preventable in most cases)....even after all the prep sometimes other factors play a role .like the way people walk (steam coming out of my ears now) posture.........we all need to look after ourselves as we go along.as a suggestion by following the "little and often example..stop-look-and and maintain......stopping for coffee take your footwear off...washing you and dry your feet properly in the morning which almost none of you do..seen in time after time....I don't believe it at times..too busy-tired-can't be bothered-----do you want your camino shadowed by blister problems: no....then prevention starts before you leave home...

Last edited: Jan 18, 2015
  3. Orava

Orava Active Member

yes Highlander, the blister info is not too good there.

The planner could be very useful for recalculating walkers' route changes and daily km targets when plans change for any reason. So useful for getting back on schedule, I like the ability to specify maximum alburgue costs so as to exclude the more expensive end of the spectrum. Could also be useful for those who simply must have a minmum set of amenities or strict criteria ( not me ).

4. sean

sean Active Member

We waste brain power when we try to calculate daily Km's on the Camino. or any other route. There is no schedule other than than the pace your body sets. Try to bend it either way, fast, or slow and you will suffer in body, mind, or both. I have walked many routes, been left high, and not so dry at dusk looking for someplace to stay. NEVER has the Camino failed to deliver, and cost was NEVER an issue. The Camino is not like anything we ever experience in 'Normal Life'. The Camino gives. If we all remember that and give back a fraction of what we receive that is the Magic.
    Sean,
    Dublin

5. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Totally agree with you Sean. I never want to over plan this sort of journey. Just take it day by day. I always make for the Municipal/Parrochial Albergues so cost is not an issue.

Planning based on 'wants' is not for me. Replace 'wants' for 'needs' and it all make more sense. For me the needs are simple, a bed, shower, somewhere to wash my stuff and somewhere to get a meal.

6. Tyson

Tyson New Member

I am first timer. Could you tell from experience how is relations done in "real walk"? I mean do I call ahead, use internet booking just 1 day before? Or I don't even need to call, just walk to the approximate town that I am supposed to stay and find out when arrive?

7. Devon Mike

Hi Tyson.

It largely depends on when you plan to walk. If you avoid the busy Summer months of July and August, you should not need to book ahead. Last year I walked from the end of May through to the first week of July. I did not book ahead, just took each day as it came and had no trouble finding a bed.

Good luck.
    Mike

8. Tyson

Tyson New Member

great. Thanks for the info. I will start Apr 26 from Sevilla. Would be good idea to follow the practice below?
    1, Look up guide book and other info to locate towns with lodging to stay
    2, just walk and in afternoon I can decide exactly which town to spend overnight depending on my physical conditions
    3, Just arrive there and find available albergue and drop-in without calling/booking

9. Devon Mike

That will work. Just take it one day at a time and enjoy it!!

10. Tyson

Tyson New Member

Muchas gracias

11. Tyson

Tyson New Member

A related question, plan for breakfast/lunch/dinner since I don't plan to cook. May be just make cold sandwiches or bocadillas.
    What time do albergues start breakfast (if they have it)? If not, do you buy food from night before for breakfast?
    Lunch I assume depending on if crossing a town sometimes during the day. If not, then pack another sandwich?
    Dinner I assume I can find places to eat?

12. highlander

highlander Donating Member Donating Member

Tyson

what I sometimes do is buy a smaller long life milk and some cereal .

In the morning use the milk and leave the rest if there is a fridge or dispose of it. and the rest of the cereal weighs very little take that with me.

your learn very quickly to have some food about you to build a sandwich.

I look after myself with cooker etc and food. ..so for you..........you can deploy this method if you like.."pass a cafe buy a coffee". see a "supermarket buy some food". pass a "restaurant buy a meal".

you won't starve.......planning to get the right kit for you is important and some training, other than that your be fine.let it happen and don't worry..your be nicely surprised

13. Devon Mike

Most Albergues I stayed in did not do meals. I usually took breakfast at the first café bar I found open each morning then made coffee, lunch and beer stops wherever places were open. Some were open as early as 6.30 or 7 am, others by 8am.

For dinner I took the Peregrino Menu/Menu of the Day at a café bar near whichever Albergue I was staying at.

There were a few places where the map guide showed a big gap between stopping places so on those parts I made sure I carried a good water supply and also some food such as bread,cheese, ham and fruit.

I never had any problems finding somewhere to eat or to shop.