1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Google Map - Walking Directions

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by BROWNCOUNTYBOB, Aug 19, 2019.

1. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

I have used Google map many times for driving a car from one destination to another and really like it. A feature I recently discovered is that it can also provide walking directions between two locations - just note the start and destination and click on the hiking person icon.

For our upcoming camino, I wanted to find out the walking time and distance between where we were staying and a multi-purpose market or grocery store. It was so easy! Three examples:
    • Barcelona - Plaza de Catalunya to La Boquerie Las Ramblas (infamous food market) - 600 meters, 7 minutes walking time (and it shows the best route)
    • Pamplona - Plaza del Castillo to El Cortes Ingles (wonderful all purpose store, including groceries) = 450 meters, 5 minutes walking time
    • St Jean Pied de Port to Carrefour Market (incredible store with fruit, veggies, cheese, meat, bread, wine, chocolate, personal care items) = 700 meters, 9 minutes walking time
    So I printed out each of the walking maps and we'll use these to do all our grocery / hiking snacks shopping at a single location close to where we're staying.

Bob

UnkleHammy and fluffkitten like this.
  2. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Bob

There is also a Lidl store on the outskirts of St Jean, about 10 mins walk from the centre and at the far end of the town from the Carrefour. They have excellent quality fruit and veg and are very reasonably priced.

Buen Camino

Greg

UnkleHammy and BROWNCOUNTYBOB like this.