Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Guidance Needed On Choosing A Route - Please

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by K.Lee, Feb 10, 2017.

1. K.Lee

K.Lee New Member

Hello,

I am planning for a Camino experience May - June of this year.

I fly into Santiago and I fly out of Lisbon, and I have one week to make the journey.

Please help me choose the best route for this.

Thank you.

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey K - considering that you are flying into Santiago and only have a single week let me suggest that you do what the daughter of a Camino friend did in very similar circumstances. After arriving in Santiago, she took a taxi to Sarria (approximately 100€). You may also be able to find a bus for less. Begining the in Sarria, she walked for five days to Santiago. This distance was far enough (the last 100 km) to qualify for the Compostela. At that point, if you have an extra day, you could spend it visiting SdC or possibly take a bus for a day trip over to Finisterre. How are you getting down to Lisbon? Depending on your departure time, you may have to leave for Lisbon the day before. Buen Camino!

3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi and welcome to the forum

It’s difficult to advise as most pilgrims fly to a destination, then walk into Santiago and fly out from there and you appear to be doing the reverse.

Wily has already mentioned the last 100km on The Camino Frances which is by far the most popular Camino, and therefore, by far the most crowded, so if you are looking for something a bit more tranquil, then you might like to consider The Camino Ingles (Which you would be have the time to walk the entire route (My own trek notes are at http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/bf/)) or possibly the last 100K of The Camino Norte from Baamonde which is a beautiful route over the mountains that joins up with The Camino Frances, so you could experience 2 different Caminos on the same trip)

IF you had the time, then I would also recommend trekking out to Finisterra as this is an Ancient Pilgrimage that predates Christianity – Finisterra was the end of the known world in ancient times !!

One thing that I wouldn’t attempt (Again) is to try and walk sections of the Camino Portuguese in reverse as the way the arrows are painted makes them very difficult to find when walking routes in the opposite direction to what they ere designed for

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Gerry Vandermaat and K.Lee like this.
  4. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey K - I wasn't thinking that this was what you were intending on doing, but Rob makes an excellent point regarding the difficulty of following the markers if you were thinking about walking the Camino Portugués in reverse. I, too, wouldn't recommend such a route. As we've both suggested, lots of good week long options near Santiago. Buen Camino!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2017
    Gerry Vandermaat and K.Lee like this.
  5. K.Lee

K.Lee New Member

Thank you ever so much!! this is extremely helpful. I will try to fit an extra day in.

6. K.Lee

K.Lee New Member

Wily and Rob,

Thank you both for your sound guidance :) I really appreciate it. I am leaning towards Camino Ingles. The bus and train options seem simple enough getting to Sarria after I land in Santiago.

I am anticipating the journey :)

Gerry Vandermaat likes this.
  7. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem – Pleased to be of help.

I think that you are making a sound choice IF you pick The Camino Ingles – There is another thread that you might like to read at http://www.caminodesantiago.org.uk/threads/planning-for-camino-ingles-sept-2017.6524/ that has two other posters who have completed The Camino Ingles fairly recently and they will be in a better position than me to give you much more up to date info on transportation, the route, as well as the latest on Accommodation if you give them a shout, I am sure that they will respond.

Best Regards

Rob

Gerry Vandermaat and UnkleHammy like this.
  8. Pam Simpson

Pam Simpson New Member

The Camino Ingles is easily doable in a week and a lovely walk, K. I completed it in September last year and walked it over 6 days. Great accommodation and somewhere to eat at every stop. It was quite quiet and albergues were pretty empty - great weather, too. You can take the bus to Ferrol from SdC although I'm not sure about getting to Lisbon when you return to SdC. Whatever you do - Buen Camino :)