1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Guide Book For The Via De La Plata

Discussion in 'Camino Via de la Plata - The Silver Route' started by Patty van Hest, Jul 18, 2018.

1. Patty van Hest

Patty van Hest New Member

Hello everyone,

We (my husband Frank and I) are starting to look into walking our first Camino, and are attracted to the Via de la Plata. However, being in Australia, I cannot seem to get a copy of the guidebook. (Amazon doesn't ship to Oz). SO: I guess my question is: do we really need a guide book? It would be a to miss out on sights because you didn't know about them...
    If there are any fellow Aussies on here that have the book, where did you get it from?
    We will download one of the apps to guide us as well, but apart form taking photos I wasn't intending to use the phone much at all. (Besides, I am not even sure if the app is available for Android? Anyone know this perhaps?)
    I did manage to source a copy of Tony Kevin's 'Walking the Camino' (VdlP), but it is not really a guide book.
    Still scrolling through the wealth of information on this site, it is very valuable! I hope to contribute to it in the future, but for now, I am very much a newbie I am afraid....
    Thanks in advance for any advice
    Patty

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Patty and welcome to the forum.

Although there is a lot of info available online, I would recommend that you bought a guidebook as although the route is well marked, there is still potential to go wrong and I managed to drift of the route a couple of times myself and without my guidebooks, I could have been in some trouble ;-)

I took two on my own Via de la Plata

1) The little guidebooks published by the Confraternity of Saint James https://www.csj.org.uk/product/the-camino-mozarabe-or-via-de-la-plata-part-a-seville-to-santiago/ This contains a lot of information about the route and in particular the facilities available in the cities, towns and villages that you pass through (Including accommodation options as well as info on the local transport)

2) Via de la Plata: The Way of St James: Seville/Granada to Santiago: The Way of St. James from Seville to Santiago (Cicerone Guide)

By Alison Raju

Online – Have you come across mundicamino?

http://www.mundicamino.com/los-caminos/38/camino-de-la-plata/

Which has a lot of useful info that you can print off – Things like stage maps and what accommodation is available where.

Alas, my own trek notes were decimated when TA took over VT, but there is still a bit of into left in the link in my tagline too :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

3. Patty van Hest

Patty van Hest New Member

Thanks Rob, the Alison Raju book seems to be hard to find, no copies available etc. But I did find a Gerard Kelly walking guide to the Via de la Plata, so far so good. Will keep looking but for now have a bit to get started. Buen Camino a tú tambien, Patty

RJS likes this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Pleased to be of help Patty

To be honest, the Alison Raju book had quite a few anomalies in it, so I wouldn’t lose too much sleep if you can’t find it :)

If you can get one, I would still add in the little guidebook published by the Confraternity of Saint James as we found this very useful, especially when the guidebooks and the way-markings were at odds with each-other, a second guidebook can be very useful ;-)

Please keep me in the loop to how it all goes

Buen Camino

Rob

UnkleHammy and Patty van Hest like this.