1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gut Bustingly Hard

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Terry Wilson, Nov 3, 2017.

1. Terry Wilson

Terry Wilson Active Member

Well having raved on for a year about the camino I have finally done it. Started on the 14th of Aug and rolled into Santiago thirty five days latter.
    I am now looking to take Martin Sheen and the film The Way to court and will be suing for miss-representation. The carefree wanderings and adventures of the four of them in that film is nothing like the reality. ( thats a little kiwi humor) .
    But I think there are some things the first timer needs to know.
    Doing the first day over route Napoleon in 33 deg, I was shattered in fact the officials at the monastery took one look at me and said,you sit now and walked past my bunk three times in the first hour to check on me.I asked them about this latter in the evening and that is what they were doing.
    Next thing to know. Spanish kilometers are longer than any other kilometers in the world. The amount of times we would walk past a sign saying eight k,s to where ever to find ten or twelve k,s latter you are still getting there. Everyone shared this opinion there could be something in this. Some one said they may be measuring from the edge of the towns and not the centers.
    Next. There is no flat in Spain it is either up or down even the massetta had some constant climbs in it.

Now that I have said all that you will be thinking well it did not work out for this chap.

YES IT DID.

I walked with some of the most beautiful people I have ever met. I mean the real beauty .
    I walked through some of the most beautiful places I have ever seen in my life.
    I am so proud of myself I cant remember ever being prouder.
    If you have followed some of my early post you will know I went to find two old friends that I used to know and love and they loved me in return. They were God and myself.
    I found them both..

In the first paragraph I did not use PC words like it is a little hard in places. It is dam hard well it was for a sixty eight year old like me.
    This posting is not to put you off. But to make sure you know what your in for.
    If I could do it YOU can. Go and do it you will not regret it.
    Good luck and God bless you.
    Terry.

2. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your hard earned success. I didn't complete but I am glad that I tried.

3. James Orrock

James Orrock Active Member

Very well done, Terry. It seems like the best things in life don't come without some real struggle. So glad you caught up with those two old friends along The Way and that they welcomed you with open arms. Hasta la vista, baby!

4. Waka

Waka New Member

Your right on the button, the camino o is anything but easy and the difficulty is not what I expected. Like you I'm getting on in years, I took 42 days to complete the journey and only once did I hit the wall, with a good earned rest I was back on my way.
    The thing that kept me going was walking into the unknown and experiencing the gift of friendship from total strangers. I remember sitting on a bench outside of Burgos talking to a fellow pilgrim who was 82, both of us still had our backpacks on and the bench was low to the ground, as try as we might we couldn't get up, the only answer was to remove our backpacks (something I was reluctant to do once it was comfortable) two young pilgrim appeared and pulled us both to our feet.
    I really found that there were no negatives on the camino only positives and I made some friendships that will last a lifetime. For some reason I've not found the same sort of camaraderie whilst walking at home.

5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Yes Terry – Well Done

Only one question from me – Which Camino will you walk next :)

Like all the other replies – I don’t think there is any of us that find Camino’s easy – But we keep going back for More – And sometimes even More – Why??
    I think you have summed it up very well, and the others that have replied have only added even mote value with their own posts – That is, it’s not just the walk, nor even the achievement of reaching Santiago de Compostela – Its “The Journey” and The People that you meet on the way that make your Camino and what will stay longest in your memory :)

Best Regards

Rob

6. The fattest Arse

The fattest Arse New Member

Well many thanks for the reality check and very many well dones for your dedication, perseverence and achievement.

Crepes4Suzette and Greg Canning like this.
  7. Terry Wilson

Thank you for that James. We are on the same channel.

8. Terry Wilson

Hi UnkleHammy You tried in my eyes thats a success .We both know of the people that we talk to in my home place and yours that wont even try.
    Maybe one day never say never.

9. Terry Wilson

10. Terry Wilson

I agree with all you have said. Where are you from Waka.

Greg Canning likes this.
  11. Waka

Waka New Member

I live in Weymouth.

12. keithlundy1

keithlundy1 Active Member

Hi Terry
    Congratulations on completing your first Camino. I've just finished my second Camino back in August this year and couldn't agree more. Anyone who thinks it's easy to walk so far for so long carrying your rucksack is kidding themselves. I'll be the first to admit, I found the first time hard but walking it 2yrs later, even though I knew what was coming was still harder and 2yrs older ha ha. I'm now planning my third Camino for 2019.
    Thanks for sharing your thoughts, when are you going back. Buen Camino. Keith, Norfolk

UnkleHammy likes this.
  13. El Condor 2014

El Condor 2014 Active Member Donating Member

Hi @Terry Wilson ,
    Well done my friend ! After doing my 1st Camino (Frances) I kept thinking what would I do different now that I knew what the Camino was all about ,
    Kept on thinking about it for 18 months till I could not stand it anymore !
    Booked my flights and off I went and did the Camino Frances again !
    So glad I did !
    Although, It was the same Camino it was completely different. The hills were not as steep as I remember from my 1st Camino, I did not stress about accommodation, met great and beautiful people * (they are still my friends" and we communicate via social media and E mails ), took my time , stopped when I wanted to, carried less " just in case" things, took lots of photos, drunk more Sangria.

Buen Camino