1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Has Anyone Done Half Camino Norte And Frances ?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Ampiji, Feb 24, 2018.

1. Ampiji

Ampiji New Member

Hi everyone,

I leave for Europe in 5 weeks from Australia. Originally I was planning to walk the Camino Norhe but I have decided I would like to do half the Norhe and half the Frances, leaving most likely from Irun as I want to experience both and as I'm from Australia it unlikely I will be doing it again, at least not for many years. Is this realistic ? I would greatly appreciate any assistance from experienced walk peregrino's and any tips of the best route to take ?

2. Glenn V

Glenn V New Member

We have done the first 160 km from St. Jean to Logrono and the last 160 km from Ruitelan to Santiago. Both were awesome. The trail is different in different sections. Some with lots of people and related infrastructure like Sarria to Santiago. Some are remote. Some have mountains to cross like St. Jean to Roncevalles and O Cebreiro. It depends on what you want. Get a good guide book. John Brierly's is great and widely used, but has just mostly facts like distances and places to stay. Another one by Anna Dintaman and David Landis has commentary about the trail and the sites to see as well as places to stay and distances. Our next leg is Leon to O Cebreiro. I'm thinking it will be awesome and maybe the best piece. Also, from about Logrono to Leon, its the "Mesata" which is flat and not as green as the hilly and mountain stretches. Buen Camino

Ampiji and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  3. Glenn V

Glenn V New Member

By the way, we met 2 ladies from Australia on our first trip. Awesome people. Still our friends today and we keep in touch.

danvo likes this.
  4. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Hi again, Ampiji. People head off onto other Caminos, definitely. You could head down from Ribadesella by train OR bus to Oviedo and then keep going down to Leon by train to start your Frances there. You could walk down to Oviedo from Villaviciosa and take the train from Oviedo to Leon. You could walk down or train from Gijon and take the train to Leon. Sounds like a good plan. Then you get some coastal walking in and some other kinds of landscape as well.

I'm hoping to do parts of several Caminos this time as well. Please post how you're getting along if you can!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2018
    danvo and Ampiji like this.
  5. MichaelSG

MichaelSG Active Member

Just as a reminder and to avoid disappointment, you will only get a compostela mentioning the spot where you started walking after any bus/train/taxi transfer. If you want to walk "the whole way", the Norte to Oviedo then the Primitivo to Melide then the Frances to Santiago is an awesome walk.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  6. Ampiji

Ampiji New Member

Yes ,despite some telling me it's not a good option & that I must commit to one Camino, I plan to start the Norte and then transfer to the Frances. I have two books - Brierly's Frances & Whitson's Norte. Thanks for your tips.

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  7. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

Hi @Ampiji I think better option is start the Frances in SJPP, then transfer to Norte. Camino Frances is very crowded, especially part close to Santiago.
    BTW. walking Camino is very addictive :)

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  8. calowie

calowie Active Member

Ampiji. Following up on what Michael SG said- the Norte, connecting to Primitivo is great. We then avoided the crowds until the last day by going from Lugo to Friol, Friol to Sobrado dos Monxes (fantastic), Sobrado to Santa Irene through the back roads, and then on to Santiago. On the trip to Santa Irene once we left the main trail we saw nobody all day until Santa Irene- then had the culture shock of the parade!

9. Ampiji

Ampiji New Member

Many thanks for your feedback but I'm doing the Camino on my own but hopefully I'll meet other pilgrims to walk and see what happens. I've decided to go with the flow and see what happens, starting in Irun then I'll take it from there but I still want to do sections of both the Norte and Frances but then who knows ! I'm not going to stress about it, I'll do what I want for me. Having said that however, if I venture across to the Frances I've just got to make the easiest transition and having never done it before know which town to leave from, how to get there - town on the Frances I mean. Thanks again