1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Everyone! First timer Camino here.

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by brownsilhouette, Jan 22, 2013.

1. brownsilhouette

brownsilhouette New Member

I'm 25 year old from California, USA. I'm planning to leave my job this April and really take time to re-think about my life and plans which is reason I've decided to do Camino France. I'm thinking about doing around end of April to May. This is will be my first time in Europe and any form of backpack trip. I planning to do the whole walk in about 35 days and then explore couple more cities in Western Europe but everything really depends on my budget. Well say hello if anyone going to Camino around when I'm going!

Buen Camino

-Daniel Seo

Brubru likes this.
  2. andymcg13

andymcg13 New Member

Hi Daniel, Myself and my brother in law ( also a daniel) start on the 29th of April from St Jean for our camino, keep a look out for two breathless middle aged irish men, enjoy,

Buen Camino,

Andy

3. monika

monika New Member

hi Daniel,

going to start Camino form Saint Jean Pied de Port 19 April for 37 days, maybe will meet somewhere :)

Buen Camino
    Monika

4. Victoria

Victoria New Member

Hi Daniel,

I hear you, I'm a 25 year old from Sydney, Australia and I'm doing the same... This job that I'm working right now is only a means of getting me enough money to travel away from here for a while. At this stage I won't be arriving in Europe until end of June but I recently discovered the Camino and am now amending my travel dates to either get me to Europe a month and a half earlier or a month and a half later to fit in the Camino from St Jean Pied de Port to Santiago. I'm new to backpacking and I've never been to that part of the world before so if you come across any good advice let me know! I'm a little nervous, but my excitement is outweighing that at least five fold haha.

Goodluck on your travels! I hope you find what you're looking for.

Buen Camino
    Victoria

5. philh

philh New Member

Hi Daniel, Iwill be doing (hopefully) my second Camino about the same time as you, have a good trip and enjoy Europe, if budget is tight I would advise you not to try and do too much, I know Europe looks quite small on the map but it costs if you are moving around a lot and you end up always traveling and not really seeing much! May see you on the path, I'm the bald headed Englishman with the shakes due to Parkinsons, ( dont drink a lot - spill most of it!) so I hope you find what you're looking for, enjoy your trip and Buen Camino

6. Devon Mike

Devon Mike Well-Known Member

Hi Phil,

I just noticed your reply to Daniel. He posted in January 2013 not this month. :rolleyes:

Mike

7. philh

philh New Member

Oops! I should have gone to Specsavers!!

Brubru, Woodchild and Devon Mike like this.
  8. Brucepayne

Brucepayne Member

Good luck to you! Do not worry,as things have a way of working out! I walked the Primitivo last fall ,and coming from Spokane,Washington,my biggest problem was jet lag. I did not sleep for 5 nights. REI has a product for jet lag,and I am going to try it next year on the Argonne,and it might be something for you to investigate. If I were to offer advice, I would recommend you walk the Camino madrid,to Leon and see how you feel if you want to stop or go on to santiago. You start in Madrid and have an easier walk to Leon. I rode many hours to Oviedo,arriving after midnight, and was pooped with all of the traveling. It is up to you of course,but you do not have to follow the herd. I think the advice to walk the Francis for first timers is mainly hubris. Feel free to ask me any questions, and Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  9. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Bruce - Some excellent advice regarding traveling and routes! I, too, travel from the States or Canada, but from the eastern side so just a bit shorter. Nonetheless, the fatigue factor you describe is real! Although I personally tend to experience jetlag in the other direction, I’m still pretty exhausted after the trans-Atlantic crossing. This past spring, our final leg of transportation, a bus from Santiago to Ferrol, put us at our Camino starting point after nearly twenty hours of traveling. What I have learned from this as well as our trip to Porto a year ago is not to start a Camino the next day. Even without unexpected delays, it’s still a long trip! Give yourself a day off to catch up and rest. Plus, if all your gear doesn’t arrive, there’s a chance it’ll get there on the next flight in. In hindsight, we should have stopped in Santiago and planned on the short bus trip the next day which would have given us more time to enjoy Ferrol before starting our walk. Can’t wait to hear about your walk on the Aragonés. It, too, is on my list. Buen Camino!

UnkleHammy and Canadian Wander like this.
  10. calowie

calowie Active Member

Brucepayne: I think many people do the Camino Frances first because there is more information about it out there and some people recommend it as the first camino people should do. We were afraid of the hoards of people and wanted to spend time on the coast and the mountains so we selected the Norte and Primitivo as our first camino. Admittedly we only met one other person who was doing this route as their first camino. We flew Vancouver-Toronto-Barcelona, train to Pamplona and bus to San Sebastian, arriving ~ 4 PM. Walked around, ate well, went to bed at 9 PM, up the next day at 7 AM and started right away as it felt right for us. We limited the first few days to ~ 22 KM to get into the rhythm. Continued on the norte , veered off onto the Primitivo and enjoyed every day, even the rainy ones. Choose your route based on the information available and what interests you geographically and culturally, and follow the signs your body sends you as well! We felt far more jet lag after returning home than going east.

Crepes4Suzette and UnkleHammy like this.
  11. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Hi, Calowie! I was wondering if either you or Brucepayne called Casa Benigno in Friol the day before, just showed up (they're the only lodging in town as far as I know), or knew of some way to get ahold of them by email other than their contact email on their site. I've written to them twice, but no response. It sounds like a big place with plenty of rooms with the restaurant, but they do parties also, so I have no idea if they fill up (I'm assuming there won't be many people there as hikers). Any advice?

12. calowie

calowie Active Member

Crepes- we just showed up. In all 4 rooms were taken and they had lots more. Plus there is another hostel in town as well. They fed us obscene amounts of food at the dinner! Good luck!

UnkleHammy and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  13. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Thank you so much, Calowie! I'll do the same.