1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello!!! First Timer Here

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by veronica, Jun 30, 2015.

1. veronica

veronica New Member

Hello fellow walkers,

I finally bought a ticket to Spain and I will be walking the camino starting around July 13. I will be in San Sebastian.

I am thinking of doing 10-14 days. I am thinking of taking a bus or train to where I want to start walking.

Here are my questions, and I so would appreciate your answers.

1. Where to start? I am looking for beautiful scenery, easy walk, country roads not highways. Possibly by the sea?- I am thinking of cooler temperatures , but is it possible in July?
    I do not need to finish el camino. So I dont need to start it within the 10 day distance to Santiago de Compostela. I may take the bus for the last leg of the journey.

2. Do I need to bring a sheet and a pillow? or do they provide it ? I will do a mixture of accomodation: alberques and small hotels/pension.

3. I am planning to have a very small day backpack and have the rest of my luggage transported btw villages.

4. I enjoy company.

5. Should i bring a sun umbrella?

Any tips? please.

veronica

Last edited: Jun 30, 2015
  2. JFK

JFK Member

Veronica, Welcome. Couple of answers for some of your questions.

Some albergues provide blankets, sheets and pillowcases; some do not. All pensions/hotels do provide these items. You do not need to bring a pillow, they are normally always provided. That being said, I would bring my own pillowcase and sheet, especially if your luggage will be transported.

I would not recommend a sun umbrella unless you are comfortable walking many miles holding one. But a good sunhat is essential. If you can find one that offers protection for the back of your neck even better.

One last item I would highly recommend, walking sticks. Learn how to properly size and use them before you come on the camino. This is another reason why an umbrella may not be useful.

Don't worry about company, you will find plenty on the Camino Frances, if you choose that route.

Buen Camino!

Merilu, veronica and danvo like this.
  3. danvo

danvo Super Moderator Staff Member

@veronica i agree with JFK. Answer to first question is not easy - mostly because camino is not primary about that..your requirements. Camino is your time - time to know yourself, so... I think every day is walking in some urban area, crossing roads, villages.. I recommend to you set number of days - and according guide your start place. This step is good for finding any company for walking with - you will be part of one, stable company.
    Enjoy your camino!!

4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Veronica

Lots of good info already posted – My own thoughts are

I would say that a lot will depend on whether you think you will return to do more Camino walking at a later date, if that is the case then you could walk from San Sebastian to Santander within your 14 days, then, at a later date, return to Santander and continue on your way to Santiago de Compostela – This is actually what I did myself and it worked out very well for me – The route through the Basque Country is spectacular with interesting places like Guernica and Bilbao to see en-route as well as some fabulous beaches to enjoy in the late afternoons after your days walking

Personally, I take a lightweight sleeping bag with me on Camino (This can come in especially handy if you arrive at an Albergue de Peregrino late and have to sleep on the floor) but others just take a liner

This is possible, there aren’t as many baggage transfer services on The Camino Norte as there are on the Frances, but I saw several signs on The Camino Norte advertising them last year, so you shouldn’t have a problem

There will be plenty of fellow Peregrino’s on The Camino Norte in July – So you won’t have a problem meeting people, especially if you stay in Albergue’s de Peregrino

Some people take Umbrella’s while others don’t – I wouldn’t myself, but that’s just my own personal preference

Other Tips – I have written up how I broke my own Camino Norte into daily sections as well as where to get Credential’s and a few packing tips, + Reviewed the accommodation I chose on the link in my tagline – You might find some of it useful :)

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

raymond john, JFK and veronica like this.
  5. veronica

veronica New Member

JFK likes this.
  6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi again Veronica

Yes, the company that you link to does break the rote down quite nicely, I had a “Beach Day” on that section and including that, the way I broke it up it took 9 days to walk from Bilbao to Santander, but 7 days is reasonable too.

As to whether you book through a company, this is a personal decision as there are Pro’s (guaranteed beds at the end of the day, guaranteed company, probably baggage transfer etc) and Con’s (No flexibility and a lot more expensive)

Good Luck and Buen Camino, whichever way you decide to “Jump”

Rob

veronica likes this.
  7. veronica

veronica New Member

Hi RJS,

I am not planning to go with a company. I just liked their website :)

I am sooooo happy. I am leaving for spain on friday. and will join the camino around 13 of July

danvo and JFK like this.
  8. JFK

JFK Member

Good Luck and Buen Camino Veronica!

9. danvo

@veronica - i hope that you find some fine walkers/pilgrims to join :) Buen Camino!!

10. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:

Good Luck and Buen Camino Veronica

11. Susan

Susan New Member

I am excited for you - Buen Camino!

One little thing I would like to point out ... not everyone on camino wants or needs company or to chat. You may want to be sensitive to those who wish to walk in silence at that time. Don't take it personally. Perhaps you will see them during a lunch break or dinner and they will have plenty to say. Perhaps you will find that YOU need silence and time to reflect. The camino tends to provide what you need. I hope yours is everything you dream it will be.

raymond john, JFK and danvo like this.
  12. danvo

@Susan - absolutely agree!!

13. veronica

veronica New Member

Oh i understand, i have minimum of social skills :)

I prefer to walk in company of people because i am a woman traveling solo and lets be honest... It is safer that way, at least on some parts of such a walk. And it is good that i enjoy people too, but i am not planning to "walk and talk" all the way.
    And no way i would impose on someone who gives a loner "vibes".
    God , it is too hot in spain right now. I am slowly acclimatizing. Hopefully it will be cooler up north.