Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Hello!! Im New Here!!!!

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Umadevi Kuppusamy, Jan 6, 2017.

1. Umadevi Kuppusamy

Umadevi Kuppusamy New Member

Hello! Im New Here!

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  2. Umadevi Kuppusamy

Im from Malaysia and planning to walk camino france way from the 2nd or 3rd of June 2017 to 03rd July 2017.
    I am eager to finish 800km; will that possible? Im solo traveler!!! :)

Will the weather fine to walk at this period of time? How do I get to SJDPD from CDG Paris airport? Any overnight transport as I will be reaching CDG airport about 20:00 pm on the 1st June 2017. What are very minimal things that I can carry on my back pack? How about accommodation along the path?

Please guide me ! Thank you ! Merci! Gracias!!!

3. Greg Canning

Greg Canning Well-Known Member

Hi Umadevi and welcome to the forum.

To answer your first question -
    "I am eager to finish 800km; will that possible?"
    That very much depends on your level of fitness and ability to cover the distance. It seems to me that 30 days might be a little tight and you may need to consider starting further on (for example in Pamplona).

The weather should be very warm and dry possibly up to or more 30 degrees Centigrade. It will be important to start early each day as the afternoon temperatures can be very high and parts of the Camino provide little shade. It will be very important to stay hydrated.

I am not aware of the the transport connections from Paris as I have flown directly to Biarritz so I will leave that to other members to address.

There is plenty of advice on the forum regarding packing lists and other important information so spend some time reading the various links on the fora.

For now best wishes and Buen Camino

Greg

Crepes4Suzette and Wily like this.
  4. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hi Umadevi - Let me address getting from CDG to SJPP. As you are arriving late into Paris, you will most likely have to travel south the next day. By the time you land (if you are on time), clear customs, and transfer into the city, it will then be at least 22:00 or later. You would be best off to make hotel arrangements for the night and leave early in the morning as I don't believe there are any night trains. Go to Booking.com for some hotel ideas. I'd suggest that you look for a hotel in the Montparnasse section of town. You have several options for getting from CDG into the city including the subway, taxis, and by bus. Last spring, I took Le Bus Direct into the city from the airport. It runs every half hour from the different CDG terminals until at least 22:00 and will drop you right off at the Montparnasse station (17€ fare).

There are a number of trains daily that go south to Bayonne and then on to SJPP. Embedded here is the link to the SNCF site for train schedules. As you will see, although we're still too far out for the June schedule, trains leave every morning out of the Montparnasse station for the 6 1/2 hour trip to Bayonne and then on to SJPP. Depending on the exact train you pick, you will have to change either one or two times before your final destination. Once the schedlue is posted, I'd advise you to buy your train ticket as soon as possible as prices, just like with the airlines, do go up. You might also check RailEurope for prices and schedules.

You can fly from the airport south of Paris to Biarritz, but as I've never done this, someone else would best advise you on this option.

One last thought for now. Reserve a bed in SJPP. Although there are many albergues there, it will be busy in June and a bed reservation is recommended. If you haven't already done so, get a copy of Brierley's guidebook to the Camino Francés. You will find it very helpful in planning and while walking your Camino.

Buen Camino.

5. Mary

Mary Member

Hi Umadevi,

I plan on walking the Camino in June as well. Probably starting the 4th or 5th and heading home on July 8th giving us 31 or 32 days. Maybe see you along the Way!

Umadevi Kuppusamy likes this.
  6. Mary

Mary Member

we will be coming into Madrid. Any advice on how to get to SJPP?

7. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

I originally planned to take a train from Madrid to Bayonne. My problem with that is that the train left too early in the morning after a long flight from San Franscisco. So I decided to fly to Biarritz and when I got Biarritz I planned to either get a bus or taxi to my hotel in Bayonne. (My hotel in Bayonne was about 200 meters from the train station.) I planed to then get a train to Saint Jean. Every thing worked out very nicely. In front of the airport at Biarritz there were a bunch of obvious hikers (they all had hiking clothes and back packs on), so I asked them if they would be willing to share a taxi to Bayonne. They agreed and we parted ways at the train station.

8. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Hi, Umadevi - Unless you know the city well, I'd take the option that Wily recommended. A popular option is the Roissybus (Roissy is what the locals sometimes call CDG because of the suburb it's in) which will drop you off at Metro Opera (tickets from the Red Machines at the airport), and you can get one until 00:30, but I'd also say stay around the airport that first night unless you're feeling really energetic. The Opera area is a business district and probably fairly safe at night (and the bus is direct, specifically for travelers to the airport), but you would still have an onward leg after that on the Metro, and it's not that easy to find the Metro from the rue du Scribe bus stop.

The in-airport CDG Sheraton has become prohibitively expensive these days (to me, anyway), but they have a new Yotel within Terminal 2 and there are other hotels with shuttles nearby.
    There is also a TGV direct from Terminal 2 via Bordeaux to Bayonne, which is where you pick up the onward train to St. Jean Pied de Port.

For the Gare Montparnasse (all south-west bound trains - via Dax and Bayonne t0 get to St. Jean) there is a hotel in Montparnasse that I like called the Hotel Delambre, 3 short blocks from Gare Montparnasse. I also would not wander the less-crowded side-streets in Montparnasse late at night, but I am a female. They have some tent cities there now.

One thing I would NOT do is take the RER-B (their suburban trains) into the city at 22:00. It is the quickest and most convenient way into the city, but it stops in a rough area close to the Stade de France (unless you know the code for the Express train, which is infrequent, and the staff will sometimes try to load you onto a non-express train when you arrive on the platform). I usually take the RER-B and am not afraid during daylight hours these days, but would probably not take it at night.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
  9. Crepes4Suzette

Crepes4Suzette Well-Known Member

Mary, Hi there. You have two choices that I am aware of. The ALSA bus (alsa.es) leaves Terminal 4 at least twice/day for Pamplona, but unless you're flying in through a Schengen country, you might not arrive at Terminal 4 and wlll then need to find your way to the shuttle to Terminal 4. Careful about drinking strong coffee before getting on - they don't have bathrooms onboard, but they will stop about 2.5 hours in and then go on to Pamplona. Make sure to leave plenty of time before your bus leaves. especially if you have checked your backpack. I waited 1 hour 15 minutes at baggage claim and nobody seemed like that was unusual.

The other option is to take Metro Line 8 from the platform serving Terminal 1, 2, and 3 at the airport into Nuevo Ministeres, a large metro stop, then transfer twice down to Puerta de Atocha, Renfe station (trains - Renfe.com). Someone said to leave 4 hours between arrival and train to make sure to make this connection. The other way to get into Madrid if you're arriving at Terminal 4 is to take the regional train (Cercanias 1) from there in to the Puerta de Atocha station (by the Prado!) - it leaves about every 30 minutes and goes direct. Still takes about 30 minutes to get into Madrid, like the Metro Line 8.

Next, you can take a Conda.es bus from Pamplona to Roncesvalles and on to St. Jean Pied de Port - it leaves 1X/day in the winter and twice in the summer, I think. The train station and the bus station are far apart, and you'll need a good citymap if going between the two.

10. Umadevi Kuppusamy

Sure Mary!!!
    y

11. Umadevi Kuppusamy

Thank you dear! :)

12. Umadevi Kuppusamy

Thank you Wily!

13. Umadevi Kuppusamy