1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hello Vegans And Vegetarians

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by greta M, Mar 31, 2017.

1. greta M

greta M New Member

Hello and thanks for adding me to this Forum.

My name is Greta, I did the Camino Frances (as an omnivore) in September 2016. I am now planning for my next Camino, probably Primitivo, hopefully in September 2017. I eat an all plant-based diet since a couple of months and plan on doing the Camino as a Vegan. I started a closed group on FB called "Vegetarians and Vegans on the Camino, to be able to share information about for example vegan/vegetarian friendly albergues, restaurants and shops on the different Caminos. Please join me if you´re interested in the topic.

Melissa, BenL, Unie and 4 others like this.
  2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Greta and welcome to the forum

I am neither a Vegetarian or a Vegan, but I have walked the Camino Primitivo so perhaps can give you a few ideas – I also walked a large part of this Camino with a vegetarian and, to be honest, she did struggle somewhat with her diet !! – And she ate Eggs and dairy products !! – So don’t expect too much variety with your own diet ;-)

My own trek notes on the Camino Primitivo can be found at https://web.archive.org/web/20151120125413/http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/c2/ IF you want to take a look

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Ginamarie and UnkleHammy like this.
  3. greta M

greta M New Member

Hello and thank you Rob!

I´ll probably have to survive on nuts and fruits and suffer the extra weight of vegan snacks. I´ll definitely check your notes. Luckily wine and beer are (almost always) vegan, so I won´t have to go thirsty at least.

Greta

Patt! and Amys3dogs like this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:

Good Attitude Greta – You will Travel Far :)

Amys3dogs likes this.
  5. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

Hi, @greta M. I have recently started eating a WFPB diet and am walking a combination of the Caminos de Madrid, Salvador and Primitivo, setting off in a couple of weeks. I don't know how well I will be able to stick to my new eating plan, but as I am not yet 100% devoted to the plan, I won't beat myself up if I find it too difficult and have to eat eggs now and then. I will be walking with a vegan and a vegetarian, so will be in good company. I will be blogging each day live from the camino, so if you want to see how I get on...watch this space!
    Buen camino!

6. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things

I am hoping there is an abundance of avocados, greens, cilantro and honey! I can live on
    on that! Oh, and mangos.......and..... olives.....and....yikes, we'll see. A challenge, but then
    we probably embrace challenges if we are on the Camino!! FUN! Greta, I will check out
    your FB group. Thanks

UnkleHammy likes this.
  7. Amys3dogs

Amys3dogs New Member

Magwood, I have enjoyed reading your CP posts, and I just hopped over to your blog and read about Bangkok. It was very interesting and helpful!! My son and I are heading to Bangkok in 3 weeks, and then to the CP in June. Trying to get lots of traveling in before he heads off to medical school in July.

UnkleHammy likes this.
  8. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator

Hi @Amys3dogs. I'm very pleased you found the blog useful. Isn't it a treat to travel with our adult children? It was my daughter who set me off on my camino path...I have a great deal to thank her for.
    Buen camino and enjoy Bangkok!

Amys3dogs likes this.
  9. Patt!

Patt! Member

I have been vegan since 2011 and plan to walk the Camino Frances this September. I look forward to checking out your info and I will post what I figure out as well. I am planning on picking up fruits, veggies, pasta, oatmeal etc. and preparing it at a hostel with a kitchen. There is a delicious vegan jerky (Unisoy Vegan Jerky) that I will bring too. We can do this!

hindsfeet and Ginamarie like this.
  10. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

Great idea Patt! I am vegan too and will be there Sept/Oct. I hope I run into you!

Patt! and hindsfeet like this.
  11. hindsfeet

Hi Ginamarie and Patt!......You both will be on the Camino before me. I will be tuned in on how you stayed Vegan. Looking forward to the challenge myself. Of course we can do it!! :D

Patt! and Ginamarie like this.
  12. Patt!

Patt! Member

I hope so too! I will be wearing a vegan t-shirt...maybe that will help us find each other. Are you leaving from the states?

hindsfeet likes this.
  13. Patt!

Patt! Member

This is going to be fun!

14. Ginamarie

Ginamarie Active Member

Me too! Bright lime green with "Friends Not Food" (animal characters). Leaving JFK, arrive in SJPP on 8/29 for 2 nights then off I go!!

15. hindsfeet

aw.......I'm not leaving until April 2018! And yes, will be flying out of Phoenix.

Patt! likes this.
  16. hindsfeet

Gina, I would be SOOOOOOO excited right now! I plan on staying two nights in SJPP also. Get rested up before that FUN first day!!!

Patt! and Ginamarie like this.
  17. Patt!

Patt! Member

You will be two weeks ahead of me! Darn, so close! Maybe we can stay in touch via the Camino forum or the vegetarian/vegan on the Camino Facebook page. Do you know a better way?

I will be wearing a dark grey shirt with "A little veganism never hurt anyone" written on it...in 71 days. I can't wait.

18. Patt!

Patt! Member

Phoenix seems so close to me in So. Cal. now that we are going to all the way over to Spain. April should be a gorgeous time to walk the Camino.

hindsfeet likes this.
  19. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

I am a proud carnivore, but my brother and sister in law are vegans most of the time. Since I'm the camino planner I decided to be flexible for a few meals and booked three albergues that offer vegan or vegetarian meals. These are:
    • Albergue Alea in Ponferrada
    • Albergue Reboleira in Fonfria
    • Albergue Paloma y Leon in San Mamed do Camino

20. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey All - Let me add one more albergue to Bob's list that features a vegetarian paella.

Albergue San Antonio de Pádua in Mazarife

If you're following the Brierley guide, take the alternative route on Stage 21 to Mazarife. The alternative route is quiet, the albergue modern, clean and well run, and it's a wonderful village full of storks. Every evening the owner/chef of the albergue prepares a delicious vegetarian paella large enough to feed an army.

IMG_1898.JPG

Ginamarie, Patt! and hindsfeet like this.
  21. Patt!

Patt! Member

Thank you so much! I truly appreciate the info.
    Patt!

22. Patt!

Patt! Member

I want to be there tonight! Lol!

hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  23. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Patt! - In addition to being one of the best meals that I had on the Camino, the camaraderie with my fellow pilgrims that evening was second to none! Do take advantage of the Pilgrim Dinners when you can. Most of the time, the food was excellent! People make the Camino special! Breaking bread with your fellow pilgrims clarifies why the Camino is much more than just a long hike!

24. Patt!

Patt! Member

I will Wily! I agree that the camaraderie is something special and I look forward to it so much. I will try my best to merge my dietary needs with sharing this amazing adventure with the people around me. Thanks for the tips!

Ginamarie, hindsfeet and Wily like this.