1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help please - Dilemma, starting from Pamplona, Logrono or Burgos?

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by dharriso, May 18, 2014.

1. dharriso

dharriso New Member

Hi All

I'm arriving in Bilbao later this month and have a walking total of 25 days. I reckon the body is up for about 25 - 30km per day with an 7kg pack.

The original idea was to take the bus and start in Pamplona then skip about 7 days. However my instinct tells me breaking up the trip and having a 'target' is not what I want to do, despite an interest in visiting Pamplona.

Now I'm thinking of stretching from Logrono in one go but really don't want my Camino to become a race.

The other option is to go from Burgos and add a couple of days on to Finisterre if I make good progress. This one feels right.

Too many options! Some sage advice would be much appreciated...

Thanks

D:confused:

2. New mexico bike

New mexico bike Member

Dear Friend
    I biked to Santaigo starting out of Bilbao- Saftey first take the train or bus out of Bilbao. Its a tough city to get out of and onward to your goal. Also the stretches of road out of the mountains are quite desolate and far between towns . I was biking and covered sometimes 40 to 70 miles in a day, and found places to stay. Walking you got some miles and terrain to cover. You'll do fine and I found the people in the mountains very friendly and helpful. But its a 3 day hike from Bilbao to get on the main camino..
    Bien camino
    New Mexico Bike

3. frida1

frida1 Member

I just returned from my first camino. I think you'd be very wise to go with the option that feels right (Burgos). I had to cut 2 days from the middle of my camino due to stomach sickness, and even bussing those 2 stages felt like it sort of took the heart out. So many things can happen--don't make it a race. In addition, I found that when I arrived in Santiago a little early, I loved just hanging out in the square and reconnecting with those I had met and then lost track of. Far better to have extra time than not enough!

Buen camino.

4. quadgirl

quadgirl New Member

I don't know much because I am starting my first Camino on June 4 from SJPP, but I do know enough to say to go with what feels right and you named that. Your heart won't lie and the Camino will take care of you no matter what you do. You will get what you need from it. Enjoy!

5. Say Simba

Say Simba New Member

I like the Burgos idea.

6. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    Any consideration given to walking from St Jean? And then just finish where you are - it is a good reason to come back at some point in the future.

I met many people along the way and loads here on the forum who have walked a week at a time and covered the whole way after 4 or 5 years. Just a thought. If you live within Europe it is fairly easy to do, not so if you are from North America.

7. dharriso

dharriso New Member

Thanks Leslie et all for the advice

I've made my mind up and wangled some extra days so going to do the while thing!

Buen Camino

8. Leslie

Leslie Administrator

Home Page:
    That is great, the best of all worlds. I hope you enjoy.

Buen Camino

9. Margareta Varenhed

Margareta Varenhed Member

Hi. If you start in LogroƱo you should be able to reach Santiago in 25 days, but if you really want to avoid stress, then I suggest you start in Burgos and spend an extra day there before setting off. It's a very nice town with lots of interesting statues all over and a marvellous cathedral. And then you will have the meseta for a week at the beginning, rather easy walking...
    You could have an extra day also in Leon then, I think.
    Buen Camino

UnkleHammy likes this.