Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

Here Is A List Of The Places I Stayed Trekking The Camino Del Norte.

Discussion in 'Camino del Norte' started by WorldTrekker, Mar 3, 2016.

1. WorldTrekker

WorldTrekker Member

Red = a must stop

Green = go for it

Yellow = caution

Excellent = extremely good; outstanding

Irun: Albergue de peregrinos, ok, nothing special, good for meeting others, decent location, once you cross train tracks look for arrow to turn right, back on other side of tracks is a plaza with good bars and a shopping mall with a decent food court

San Sebastian: Urban house, good location over bridge past tourist info on left, one block back from water, decent facilities, close to everything, maybe the best pintxo alley in Basque country is an easy walk away

Zarautz: Zarautz hostel, ok location just as you enter town over a gas station, excellent/clean facilities, great kitchen, tienda's close by, nice bars on the promenade,

Deba: Albergue de Peregrinos, by train station, cramped, could be cleaner, good location, good bar/restaurant across street, no kitchen, mercado close by

Zenarruza: Monastery, cramped, could be cleaner, good outdoor space, good showers, the monks sell beer and excellent cheese, they provide a vegetarian meal and breakfast, I would bring some provisions from Markina before heading up

Eskerika: Albergue Eskerika, owner Inaki sells food to cook and drinks or bring your own (recommended) from Gernika, clean, excellent outdoor area, excellent sleeping area, good communal area, good way to make the Bilbao walk shorter

Bilbao: Youth hostel Aterpetxea: on hill as you exit town, big place, good clean facilities, decent kitchen, must leave backpack in storage room, comes with cafeteria style breakfast

Castro Uridales: Municipal albergue, bad revues but ok, it is cramped, kitchen is a microwave, by the bull ring (el toro) at the end of town

Laredo: Convent de San Francisco, good location, only 10 beds, good facilities, breakfast provided, historic, excellent pilgrim mass, close to lots of bars and mercados

Güemes: Albergue Ernesto’s, famous, outside of town up hill to left, communal dinner and breakfast, good facilities, bar in town has excellent food if hungry on your way in

Santa Cruz de Bezana: Albergue la Santa Cruz, walk from Santander to here is not pleasant, located by huge super mercado, excellent facilities, bar across street, communal meal and breakfast, good outdoor area, Nieve is a great host, good option to make next days walk shorter

Santillana del mar: Albergue Casona Solar de Hidalgos, historic, comfortable, nice outdoor space, friendly owners, good location, excellent bathroom facilities, this is a nice tourist town, lots to see, still trying to figure out the del mar part

Comillas: Albergue de Peregrinos, former women’s prison, nice and clean, facilities ok, location great, at the end of old town up from plaza, pizzeria close by is excellent, another tourist town, lots to see

Pendueles: Albergue Aves de Paso, good stop, communal meal and breakfast, decent location, Javier great host does your laundry, tienda and bar close by

Cuerres: Albergue Casa Belen, Camino gem, excellent facilities, communal meal and breakfast, beer and wine also provided, they even do your laundry, Manfred and Brigitta are so cool

La Isla: Albergue de Peregrinos, location ok, tienda and bar close by, not real clean, free washer, Angelita is a trip, feisty funny curmudgeon

Cabuenes: Deva Camping cabins, tienda in camp ground, excellent restaurant, cabins are so cramped its comical, showers are up hill from cabins

Avilles: Albergue de Peregrinos, the last 10K to here is very industrial, not real clean, close beds, crappy showers/laundry area, friendly host, great location, nice town to stroll around

Cudillero: Hotel Sol de la Blanca, took alternate route through San Esteban to the coast then onto the old Camino trail for the incredible ocean views, hotel provides breakfast, mercado is close by, historic area, tourist area

Cadavedo: Albergue Covi Y Peter, managed by the same people that run the municipal, sleeps 6 and 4, clean, ok kitchen, ok shower, tienda is 2K before reaching town stock up, restaurant in town is awful

Pinera: Albergue de peregrinos, former school house, must check in at the host house first about 2k before, dirty, bad shower, no kitchen but microwave, spacious, tienda about 2K down the road, great empanadas

Tapia: Albergue de peregrinos, million dollar view, dirty, bad showers, cramped, outside of town but walkable to bars and tiendas, did I mention the view

San Xusto: Albergue de pergrinos, dirty, horrible bathroom (no toilet seat), three separate rooms, no kitchen, bar down the street, tough out the 4.5K to Lourenza it’s mostly down hill

Gontan: Albergue de peregrinos, clean, excellent laundry facilities, ok bathrooms, good common area, nice kitchen, bars and mercado close by

Baamonde: Albergue de peregrinos, former school, clean, huge kitchen, ok showers, great common areas, bars and tiendas close by.

Sobrado: Monastery, excellent location, historic, nice showers, good sleeping area, mercados and excellent restaurants close by

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator Donating Member

3. WorldTrekker

WorldTrekker Member

Maggie, just looked at your blog. Looks like I'm going to miss meeting you by one day. I'm flying in at about 13:00 (the day your in Irun) and trekking from airport to San Sebastian.
    Hope we get good weather. Good luck, God bless and safe travels.

4. Magwood

Which airport are you flying into? Maybe we might catch up further along the trail. Hope so.

Good weather would certainly be a blessing - but I will be prepared for the worst!
    Buen Camino!

5. WorldTrekker

WorldTrekker Member

Maggie, I'm looking at leaving the States on April 20 and arriving in Madrid the 21st. From there, I will connect to San Sebastián Airport which is in Irun. My flight on Iberia leaves about noon and arrives at 13:00.
    If the weather is decent, I'm walking from the airport right to the Camino Norte and onto San Sebastián (about 7 hours). If weather is dreadful I'll be going to the Albergue in Irun. I do hope our paths cross, it would be a honor to meet you.

6. Magwood

Hi @WorldTrekker. So you are walking el Norte for a second time? You must have enjoyed it.

In case I don't see you, I wish you buen camino, but wouldn't it be great if we were in the same place at the same time.

7. WorldTrekker

WorldTrekker Member

I'll be doing the Camino Norte / Primitivo.
    The idea of just doing the Primitivo did not seem enough after my epic journey last year and the chance of repeating the first two weeks of last years Nortern route was to enticing.
    Enjoy your journey and remember to take the GR and E routes whenever available; you will not be disappointed.
    Buen Camino

8. Josh unçu

Josh unçu Member

Good recomendations.
    Sorry that very few take this way.
    Without mentioning about October-April.
    As a whole "camino" for me the best.
    As a linking way to the French for me via:
    "The Basque Inland Way " or " The Baztanes Way".
    Ultreia.
    JÇ.

9. Granjie

Granjie New Member

I am new to the Camino group. I will be starting the Camino Norte starting August 30th. I'm taking the bus from Barcelona to Irun. I would like to spend the night in Irun. Will it be difficult to stay at the Albergue de peregrinos in Irun?

10. katie

katie New Member

hindsfeet and Crepes4Suzette like this.
  11. katie

katie New Member

Thank you! Very helpful!

12. Josh unçu

Josh unçu Member

A sugestión from my experience in the Northen camino in reference to albergues & vegetarians : There is a small primate albergue ( 7 beds) only pilgrims, donativo sistem, includes vegetarian dinner and breakfast, warm & home like stile, no needs Sleeping sacs, just on the side of the camino in a small town called Vega ( Vega de Ribadesella). Opens at 15:30, no reservation available. The owner Marina will welcome the pilgrims like real mother. Close to the Vega beach. Any more information nedded, let me kown . J.C.