1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiking Poles And Tsa

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Wily, Feb 2, 2019.

1. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

In Montreal and just cleared Security/TSA for an internaional flight with my hiking poles. My collapsable, rubber tipped poles were inside my backpack and went straight through screening without a question. From my discussion with TSA in Boston last week, I was told that bringing poles into the carrier wouldn’t be a problem. And, yes indeed, there was no issue whatsoever here at YUL. Although I was prepared to go back to the ticket counter to check them, that wasn’t necessary. As I always fly internationally out of Montreal, no more worries about whether or not my checked poles will make it to my destination. Hopefully, this will be the case for everyone else as well. Yahoo! Travel safe and Buen Camino!

2. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    If you choose to follow the above advice and take your walking poles in your hand luggage, you should be aware, that different countries have different restrictions on what you can carry as cabin luggage, and although trekking poles might well be acceptable as cabin luggage in the US and Canada, they aren’t in many European countries such as where I live, the UK – You can check this on the UK government website at https://www.gov.uk/hand-luggage-restrictions/sports-equipment where is stipulates that Walking/hiking poles are not allowed as cabin luggage. So if you are transiting via the UK, you should be prepared to check them in, and as the UK (Currently) follows European rules, the probability is that you could also run into issues in other European countries.
    Best Regards
    Rob

3. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Active Member

Wily and Rob - thanks for the updates. Rob I love your bags and would probably purchase one of those sometime in the future but for my first Camino - I cannot risk having the airlines lose my bag. So I will probably end up buying poles in Porto when I arrive. I found a sports store there and confirmed they sell trekking poles.

Wily - let us know how the rest of your travels go and if the poles make it!

Amy

UnkleHammy, RJS and Wily like this.
  4. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Amy – Always pleased to be of help :)

I also understand your concerns about not wanting to risk an airline losing your bag as this would be a disaster at the start of a Camino – The reason that I designed the Rucksack Pro-Tector some 15 years ago was because I had had troubles myself with checked in luggage on airlines, one rucksack destroyed on an airport carousel (when on my way to Switzerland for a trekking trip) and the other delayed when I had put it into a heavy duty black plastic bag (Afterwards I realised that it isn’t the best idea in the world disguising expensive rucksacks and trekking gear as garbage)on a trip to Laos and Cambodia - So I don’t blame you for wanting to keep your own rucksack with you as cabin baggage and buy trekking poles when you arrive in Porto.

I posted a link to a Wikipedia page about passengers loosing luggage when flying out of the US (Which seems to have a particularly bad record for losing checked in luggage) – I don’t know whether you saw it, but if not, then here it is again https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_luggage - It states that “In the United States, an average of 1 in 150 people have their checked baggage misdirected or left behind each year” but as it doesn’t say how many flights per year this is based on, it’s difficult to estimate the real statistical; risk – But whatever the risk is, it does appear to be reducing, at least according to https://apex.aero/2017/05/04/sita-baggage-report-2017-lost-luggage-technology so hopefully by the time you come to go on your next Camino, the risk will be even lower :)

One other thing that you might want to consider doing, that is, at the end of your Camino, check in your rucksack for your trip back home – Apart from this enabling you to take your new trekking poles back home (Along with some good Spanish wine) as if it is delayed by a few days it isn’t as critical – As long as all goes well this might also increase your confidence for checking in your rucksack and trekking poles for your next Camino.

Good Luck and Buen Camino Portuguese

Rob

PS – Please remember to pop up a post to let us all know how you got on

UnkleHammy likes this.
  5. Wily

Hey Amy - It was great to arrive at my destination yesterday with all of my gear never leaving my possession including my poles. Anyone who has traveled a great deal undoubtedly knows the angst caused by a bag not arriving when they do. I enjoyed knowing this trip that all my gear was with me in the cabin. Even on the smallest plane I flew on yesterday, there was still plenty of room in the overhead bin for my 36L pack and poles. Nonetheless, I agree with you, you don’t want to start your Camino wondering when your delayed bag might arrive. Best advice I can offer, if possible, keep your gear with you. If you do check something, be flexible enough to go to Plan B when you arrive in order to deal with something unexpected. Buying poles in Porto sounds like a great idea if you can’t be sure that they can stay in your possession the entire trip. . Bom Caminho!

6. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    “Anyone who has travelled a great deal undoubtedly knows the angst caused by a bag not arriving when they do”

I consider the above to be a Very Snide Comment from Willy - Trying to discredit another poster by suggesting they don't fly as frequently as other posters is certainly not in the true Camino Spirit!!

It’s a simple fact that different countries have different regulations when it comes to what is, and what isn’t legally allowed inside an aircraft cabin and Even if it is a better idea to keep all your valuable possessions with you inside the aircraft cabin, It isn’t always possible to do so.

Oh Hum

Rob

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019
  7. UnkleHammy

UnkleHammy Well-Known Member

If you are taking your poles with you in your pack and they are not permitted, why not immediately throw them away and get replacements when you arrive? Buying new ones in Europe isn't that expensive and you will have have no problems with losing them or your pack while flying.

Wily likes this.
  8. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Yes UnkleHammy, you could do that, but, especially If they are a pair of top of the range Leki poles, you might not want to – Or indeed have to as you would still have the option of checking them in, but to do this, you would have to be prepared with time enough on hands to do so, and perhaps a bag to put them in.

However – Whatever you decide, you need the correct information so that you can prepare for all eventualities – And here forums like this should be able to help spread the word :)

Best Regards

Rob

UnkleHammy likes this.
  9. Wily

Hey Unklehammy - Good advice! The one thing that I’ve learned about traveling is to stay flexible and always have a Plan B in case things don’t work out as expected. Buying a pair of poles in Europe (or anywhere else) is a good option. As I was checking into the Montreal airport, I was completely ready to return to the airline counter to check my poles had TSA not let me through with them. As it turned out, I didn’t have to. But, knowing that a small, checked pole bag might not arrive at my destination, as my wife and I experienced two years ago, I’d be fully prepared to buy a new pair upon arrival. As you said, it isn’t that expensive and for those of us who hike with poles, it’s a very worthwhile new investment if necessary. I continue to believe that The Camino Provides, so it will all work out although there might be a bump or two along The Way. Buen Camino!

10. hindsfeet

hindsfeet Collect moments, not things

Hi Rob....I think it was a misinterpretation on your part. Of course, the more frequent you travel, the greater the chance for a bag to be delayed or a mishap occurring. I have NEVER encountered a snide comment from Wily's posts. You can glean that his heart is to encourage, advise from experience, and share a wealth of knowledge. Because we are not in person sitting around chatting over tapa's and vino, the written word is sometimes misconstrued.
    Let's give each other the benefit of the doubt, respect, and keep the Camino Spirit a constant.
    I greatly enjoy your posts, and they have helped me a great deal as well. Let's continue our journey TOGETHER!
    :D Life is short......

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  11. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    I too like to give people the benefit of the doubt Hindsfeet – At least for the first few times :)

But I share your sentiments about at least trying to continue to share our journeys together, even if we can’t all agree all of the time.

Best Regards

Rob

UnkleHammy and hindsfeet like this.
  12. Wily

Hey Hindsy - Your very kind words and genuine support of the Forum are greatly appreciated. I believe that we all have the same goal on this Forum - helping each other which is the true spirit of the Camino. It is this type of kindness that distinguishes pilgrims from others and makes walking The Way and learning its important lession so valuable. Buen Camino!