1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiking Shoes - Size Up?

Discussion in 'What equipment should you use and take' started by Amy Brooks, Feb 10, 2019.

1. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Active Member

Wily

The ones I purchased this week look more like the ones below - I think the newest Salomon trail runner was featured in the article in Backpacker - the ones below must be last year's model as I got them on the sale rack at REI. I went 17 miles in these yesterday to break them in and they worked out great. I was on forest trail so a kinder surface then I will find on the CP. Today I am going to do 10 on pavement. I will let everyone know - but out of the gate I would say they are terrific. I would just add that Salomon fits my feet particularly well - I don't believe these are waterproof either - but I don't want waterproof and in yesterday's rain event - I did ok.

upload_2019-2-17_6-21-38.png

UnkleHammy, hindsfeet and Wily like this.
  2. Wily

Wily Francés 2016; Portugués 2017; Inglés/Fisterra 2018

Hey Amy - It sounds like your new Salomons will work well for you. Seventeen miles is a great outing! In general, the CP is a pretty gentle trail/route. The difficulty in Portugal for some are the cobblestones. Hopefully, they won’t be an issue for you. Although my wife developed some knee problems, I found them quite manageable. If you have the Brierkey guide, you’ll see the daily mix of road to path surfaces. You will be walking on quite a bit of secondary roads most days if you take the Central Route. And, once into Spain at Tui, no more cobblestones. I know you’ll do just fine and enjoy everything the CP has to offer. Bom Caminho!

hindsfeet and davebugg like this.
  3. davebugg

davebugg DustOff: "When I Have Your Wounded"

Hi, Amy. . .

If the shoe uses a waterproof/breathable (wp/B) membrane, Solomon labels their shoes with the GTX as part of the name. So if yours are labeled something like "X Ultra 2 GTX" that would indicate that they have the Goretex wp/b membrane.

The X Ultras that you have are actually designed by Solomon as part of their hiking shoe (trail shoe) lineup. This gets confusing because Solomon also has a trail running shoe lineup which has the S/Lab Ultra. Their trail runners are constructed differently than their trail (hiking) shoes. o_O

As long as they feel and fit and perform well for you the shoes you have are good and will serve you well. If you find that they are not as comfortable as you'd like while walking on hard surfaces like pavement or hard-packed trails, I do have a shoe suggestion that might be worth a consideration that would do well for both trails and hard surface walking.

UnkleHammy and Amy Brooks like this.
  4. BROWNCOUNTYBOB

BROWNCOUNTYBOB Well-Known Member

Amy, during our last camino my wife had Salomon trail running shoes. They also had the quick lace feature and she really didn't like it. She was concerned that the ultra thin lace might break during the camino and it would be impossible to replace. Fortunately she made it to Santiago without a problem. She'll wear the same shoes this fall, but as you said, she prefers traditional shoe laces. Bob

UnkleHammy and Amy Brooks like this.
  5. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Active Member

Dave

Thanks for the info - very helpful. I tried on some of the Salomon trail running shoes at REI but they didn't feel as good as the x ultra's. It's so hard to judge though just walking around the store in circles as to how the shoe will really perform. But if I had any niggling concerns I would try another pair - and I landed on the x-ultra's.

I did another 16 plus miles yesterday - all on a paved bike trail and my feet were tired the last 4-5 miles but I assume that is normal for putting 32 miles on my feet over two days. This morning I woke up and feet feel fine and I am ready for another 16 miles - except I have to work. :) . No tenderness no blisters.

Dave - these come with the no tie shoe laces - if they break can I replace with regular shoelaces - the eyelets look petty small but it looks doable. Does Salomon have any recommendations about that issue. Like Bob's wife (see above post) I am worried about the lace breaking in Portugal.

Thanks for all your help!

Amy

6. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Active Member

Bob

I have the same concerns as your wife - I am asking Dave if I can replace with regular shoelaces if they break... I can't imagine how you would replace the shoelaces on these without going to the manufacturer - but maybe they never break. I am glad your wife made it without it being an issue.

I sure do like how these feel on my feet.

Cheers
    Amy

7. davebugg

The laces are not a conventional nylon-type of material. They are a Kevlar cord which is pretty darned tough and won't wear out near as easy as conventional laces. Below I've posted a YouTube link on how to replace these laces, and I've included two sources for purchasing the replacements.

Here are a couple of sources for those Kevlar lace replacements. It comes as a sort of kit. The Amazon source has multiple color offerings.

https://www.rei.com/product/825246/...DNzJ5E0OBYgXxtxpccdwv5Zgf8p5OJQcaAjEOEALw_wcB

https://www.amazon.com/Salomon-L326...=gateway&sr=8-1-fkmrnull&tag=googhydr-20&th=1

Here is an instructional video.

8. davebugg

It appears that your feet and the new shoes like each other :), and that is terrific!!! And, yes, at the end of a long day with a lot of miles, there is not much you can do to avoid foot fatigue. If you find that after a couple of hours of resting your feet that they feel fine just doing some normal walking around, then your feet are well within normal limits. Whether backpacking or walking a Camino, that is what I experience, too :). The last couple of hours of a 20+ mile day my feet are tired, but not really painful; they may ache a bit, but they don't feel like I'm walking on sharp rocks or glass.

After I get to my site for the night -- camp, alburgue, hotel, etc -- I'll remove my 'walking' insoles and allow my shoes to air out for a bit. If they are damp inside, I'll wipe them out. Then I'll clean up (shower, quick sponge bath by a stream, etc) and take care of the quick chores, like getting my sleeping gear set up.

After wards, I'll get off my feet while reviewing the next day's route, calling loved ones (on Camino), reviewing pictures, or just laying down for a bit. All of this last about an hour to 90 minutes or so. By then it's time to explore the Camino village or town and then get some dinner. So I'll put in my extra set of insoles (usually the thinner pair that came with the shoes which are very lightweight) into my shoes, put on a fresh pair of socks, and take off. By now my feet feel pretty refreshed and good for the evenings activities.

I have one foot that hates me and one foot that could care less what it wears. So I always shop for what suits my right foot. I swear that my right foot would just as soon go out on its own if it had the choice. :)

9. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Active Member

Dave

What a lovely response. I read this and could feel myself in my Camino village... resting and then getting ready for a nice dinner. And thanks to your advice - with happy feet!

Today I did a lot of walking at work - and then did another 7 miles tonight with my new Salomon's - no sharp rocks at all in fact feet are very happy. And even better I am feeling the benefits of the training... 7 miles feels like a breeze.

Cheers
    Amy

UnkleHammy and Canadian Wander like this.
  10. Amy Brooks

Amy Brooks Active Member

Dave

Again thanks for this helpful info - on the Amazon site the instructions are in Japanese - so this video is helpful. I will probably bring a spare just in case.

Thanks again for all the help...are you getting a ton of snow up there this year?

Cheers from Oregon
    Amy

UnkleHammy likes this.