1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hiking shoes vs running shoes? Which should I take on el camino??

Discussion in 'Camino Frances' started by dcalderon20, Jan 30, 2013.

1. dcalderon20

dcalderon20 New Member

Hello everyone!

I will be begin my journey from SJPD on June 11th. I wanted your opinion on what type of shoe I should take on my camino. I have have a pair of Merrell hiking shoes and a pair of Asics running shoes. Which should I take on my camino?? I was thinking about taking both pairs but I am now re-thinking that option. I want to minimize the weight on my pack. Ive read a few post on here about both. What do you think?? I can only go as far as me feet will take me! This will be my first time walking el camino. :)

thank you!!

2. J_me

J_me Guest

Hi Danny,
    I took a pair of Brook's cascade trail running shoes. I thought they did great. I did have to buy new insoles on the way. I would take them again PLUS get gel insoles ahead of time. I also used Wright's double layered socks. I had no blisters whatsoever. In the evening I used my tevas around town. I walked it my first time last September. Buen Camino!!!!!

3. nathan

nathan New Member

most asics are good for 500 miles of road work and are light....take them as a reserve pair of shoes ...you will find them good to slip on in the evening.Many hostels have a shoes at the door policy so a pair of asics in your bag is good...no need for flip flops then either.As regards the wieght of your pack;...if you are a fit young person you can afford to pack a few luxuries too....afterall a trip to Europe is special.Save room for small souveners...and pick up a canary yellow hoodie in santigo

4. dcalderon20

dcalderon20 New Member

Thank you so much! I think im going to take both! Im in good shape and I dont think the extra weight will hurt me that much

5. Bam Hatter

Bam Hatter New Member

i took walking boots and flip flops last year when i walked in august and found that my feet got really hot! one of my friends took walking sandals and running trainers and that worked really well for her. this year i will be taking running trainers and my boots, i think both will be best!
    buen camino!
    :)

6. dcalderon20

dcalderon20 New Member

trail running shoe are a great idea! Thanks J_me I will look in to that