Welcome to the Camino de Santiago forum. This community is here to help you with questions on walking any of the Camino routes. Hopefully you too will stay and help others after you have been on your Camino.

If you register and login you are shown no Google adverts. Please note we also use cookies on this forum – not for anything evil but to allow you to login and use the forum software. We do not collect personal data and never pass your details on to anyone. Come and joins us on your pilgrimage to Santiago de Compostela.

How Far Do I Need To Walk Everyday?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Life girl, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Life girl

Life girl New Member

Hi guys, planning to start walking from St Jean in early April. I'm thinking of walking about 15 miles per day over about 7 days. Will I reach a hotel every 15 miles ?
    My first time by the way
    Bernadette

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  2. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Bernadette - Welcome to the Forum. Even though you are only walking for seven days, let me recommend that you pick up a copy of the Brierley guidebook to help you plan your Camino. In addition to maps, he gives significant information as to accomodations along The Way.

With the exception of the first stage from SJPP to Roncesvalles, there are albergues in towns and villages every few kilometers on the Camino. Walking 15 mikes a day is a pretty standard distance that most of us travel; sometimes a little less, sometimes a little more. A nice thing about having a guide like Brierley's is that you can clearly see what is ahead of you in terms of places to stop and eat or sleep. When you're in SJPP, the Pilgrim's Office can also provide you with a list of albergues between there and Santiago which you'll find helpful. Pick up your Pilgrim's Credencial there at the Office as well. It will be what allows you entrance to the albergues.

The first day out of SJPP, taking the Napoleon Route over the Pyrenees, there is only one albergue between the start and Roncesvalles and that's in Orisson 8 km up the mountain. But, the entire trip to Roncesvalles is just 25 km and within your desired daily range (20 km of it is uphill). From there on, you'll find plenty of albergues. In early April, you should not have much trouble getting a bed. Buen Camino!

Dominique likes this.
  3. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    Hi Bernadette and welcome to the forum

What you will end up trying to do is to walk as near to your ideal distance every day, but as accommodation isn’t available at exactly 15 mile intervals, you will usually be faced with a choice of walking slightly further or slightly less and which option you choose will depend on many factors including how you are feeling at that time, the weather and the terrain.

This is the most up to date accommodation list that I am aware of for the Camino Frances, http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/p/m/246747/ You might like to print this off and take it with you.

In addition, I always take the little guidebooks produced by The Confraternity of Saint James as these list most of the facilities en-route

As you are only walking for 7 days, where are you planning starting your Camino ?? –
    Saint Jean Pied de port is the main recognised starting point but another option is that you could walk the last 100km into Santiago de Compostela to claim your Compostela ?? – That being the case, you have the choice of either starting from Sarria which would also leave you time to walk out to Finisterra, or start somewhere like Cebreiro which would give you sufficient time to walk into Santiago de Compostela within your 7 day timeframe

Good Luck and Buen Camino

Rob

Crepes4Suzette and Dominique like this.
  4. Life girl

Life girl New Member

Thank you Rob, I'll print it off and I'll keep practising my walking .
    I'll probably start from St Jean as I believe this to be the original beginning and then later in life I can continue where I left off.
    Bernadette

Crepes4Suzette likes this.
  5. RJS

RJS Well-Known Member

Home Page:
    No Problem Bernadette – Pleased to be of help

Yes – I agree with you about setting off from Saint Jean Pied de Port and, that’s where I started my own Camino Frances from and because of time constraints, I had to split that into two sections spread over 3 years !!

However, I was fortunate enough to start one Camino from “the original beginning” and, for me, that was the Ultimate Camino, right out of my own front door in Cumbria and 1.000 miles walking to Santiago de Compostela http://members.virtualtourist.com/m/50192/f7/ : -)

I look forwards to reading about your journey

Best Regards

Rob

Crepes4Suzette and Dominique like this.
  6. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member

Hi Bernadette,

I'm planning to go in early April too. Would be great to chat! It'll be my first Camino too!

Best wishes,

Jen

Wily likes this.
  7. Wily

Wily Camino Francés 2016; Camino Portugués 2017

Hey Jenn - Exciting, isn't it! You'll find a lot of good information on this Forum or there are plenty of experienced pilgrims here to try and field any questions that you may have. At one time or another, we've all been in preparation for our first Camino. In fact, getting ready for it is almost half the fun! I have no doubt that walking The Way will be one of life's great experiences for you as it has been for so many of us. Enjoy and Buen Camino!

Greg Canning likes this.
  8. Jennifer

Jennifer New Member

Thank you Wily. I feel most welcome and very excited

J :)

UnkleHammy likes this.
  9. David Fletcher

David Fletcher Member

The Pilgrim Office in SJPP also will give you a complete and current list of the Albergues. I agree with others that a guide (eg Brierley) is a good investment; unless you are hill ready, not jet-lagged, and used to your pack, I'd commend the Albergue at Orison for your first night. They establish a really great sense of community, and you can make up distance by just getting a stamp at Roncesvailles and continuing on where it will be less crowded. 15 miles a day is a good goal; if you are in shape, you might do better. Albergues are generally to be found in most villages (often 3-5 miles (6-9 km) apart); When you said 'hotel', you may be looking for a higher class of accommodation which might not be found in some of the smaller villages. Buon Camino!

UnkleHammy and Wily like this.
  10. Magwood

Magwood Super Moderator Donating Member

I recommend you also look at the Gronze website, which is full of useful info including maps and accommodation options with prices and opening times. It is a spanish language website but is very intuitive and easy to understand.
    Buen camino!

Wily likes this.